Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day....

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 11:33
CitroJim wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 11:23
Wow! That's excellent and very much appreciated Neil :D I will spend quite a lot of time looking at that - as soon as I can find a loose end ;)
You should have a couple on each shoe Jim! :-D
:lol: :lol: Love it!

Actually, the special elastic laces on my running shoes don't... No need to unlace/lace them up and makes my times through duathlon transitions a bit quicker...

They turn a pair of lace-ups into a pair of slip-ons :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The bridge at whittingham station
The bridge at whittingham station
The station itself is looking pretty ropey in my eyes.

the Balifgate Museum in Alnwick have a very decent model of it.
https://bailiffgatecollections.co.uk/co ... m-station/

REgards Neil

PS and yes the site I put the link up to still carries the info on AKC Alnwick to Cornhill line even though its been out of use since the 1960's with the station distances in Miles and Chains!
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That station looks ripe for takeover by a railway preservation society Neil, a great place for a bit of railway heritage ;)

It's definitely not short of decent scenery :)

And it's the home of a fiendish puzzle...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inglenook_Sidings

Amazing what you find when you dig into things!

That's a cracker of a model of the station :D Love that!
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 16:08 PS and yes the site I put the link up to still carries the info on AKC Alnwick to Cornhill line even though its been out of use since the 1960's with the station distances in Miles and Chains!
I noticed that when I took a good look at the site. It's one of those sites it's easy to waste (I mean spend) hours in!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 17:12 That station looks ripe for takeover by a railway preservation society Neil, a great place for a bit of railway heritage ;)
It's definitely not short of decent scenery :)
Video link here,
viewtopic.php?p=667868#p667868

of a permitted mooch around of Whittingham Station. I may be wrong but the development of turning it into a residential property wasn't done with the greatest of imagination, judging by my 2020 picture of it.

CitroJim wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 17:12 And it's the home of a fiendish puzzle...Amazing what you find when you dig into things!
Never knew about Kilham Sidings claim to fame Jim. Wonder what's left of them now? I might have to have a mooch. The Sidings are further north 5 miles 46 chains precisely from the Northern end of the line at the Scottish Border where it joined with the Kelso Branch.

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/ ... enook.html
AKC Alnwick and Cornhill Line
0.00 Coldstream Junction with KLO (12.44)
3.45 MINDRUM
5.46 Kilham siding
7.76 KIRKNEWTON
10.72 AKELD
13.42 WOOLER
17.07 ILDERTON
20.01 WOOPERTON
22.17 HEDGELEY
24.15 GLANTON
25.71 WHITTINGHAM
28.64 EDLINGHAM
35.47 Alnwick Junction with ACK (2.71
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

We have a mystery going on Milton Keynes and it's been happening, off and on, for several years now...

Someone lovingly makes up sandwiches and places them on the 'Redway' shared cycleway and footpaths...

I spotted these on my morning run today and I grabbed a picture... Most mornings when I run in this area I see them...
Food on the run...
Food on the run...
Despite much discussion in local social media, nobody knows who does this and why... The best thought is that it's for the wildlife... Willen Lake and its massive population of assorted wildfowl is close to where I saw these... Another favourite spot is near the canal...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 17:29

I posted this mainly for the lovely 132Kv pylon in the background. In some days when atmospheric conditions promote it, you can hear it crackling as you ride underneath... And it makes the hair on the back of your neck tingle :)
Another little connected story from your pylon over on the EV Infrastructure thread
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Interesting about the EV infrastructure Jim. There are going to have to go some to catch up with the existing demand without the expected increase but good to hear they are actually doing something about it.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 09:31 We have a mystery going on Milton Keynes and it's been happening, off and on, for several years now...

Someone lovingly makes up sandwiches and places them on the 'Redway' shared cycleway and footpaths...

I spotted these on my morning run today and I grabbed a picture... Most mornings when I run in this area I see them...

Despite much discussion in local social media, nobody knows who does this and why... The best thought is that it's for the wildlife... Willen Lake and its massive population of assorted wildfowl is close to where I saw these... Another favourite spot is near the canal...
There was a similar thing round here last year, not edible though.

Beeb
Since 2014 there have been at least 12 instances of money being found in Blackhall Colliery, County Durham, usually amounting to £2,000 in £20 notes.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Nobody has tested the MK sandwiches for edibility yet Steve... I'm not volunteering as one suggestion was they may be medicated to help fix many cases of mange in the urban fox population...

Neil, interesting on Sundon. It's a favourite destination of mine on the bike as it offers some rather lovely hills to climb. Oddly, of all the times I've been there I've never noticed the electrical infrastructure there 😲 Too busy cycling and trying to be first to the top of the hill I guess 🤔🤣 Good to see Sundon becoming famous 👍😃
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

a fence, and a corrugated iron roofed hut with a nice patina, and a bit of blue sky
a fence, and a corrugated iron roofed hut with a nice patina, and a bit of blue sky
dunstanburgh castle
dunstanburgh castle
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 16:56 Image
I like those, a lot :D

I rode to Grendon on my bike today... I followed the line of pylons recently discussed that originate in Sundon and run via Newton Blossomville :) They end at a huge meeting-place of lots of pylon runs coming in from all directions.... One upon a time what would have been called a sub-station... Albeit a massive one... I wonder what the proper name is? Switching station? High-Voltage Hub?

Sadly I could not get near enough to get a good picture of it so instead here's a picture of a village down the road...
Yardley Hastings under a blue sky in December!
Yardley Hastings under a blue sky in December!
It's ben a true cracker of a day... Apart from the wind and temperature almost indistinguishable from a summer day :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 17:26 I rode to Grendon on my bike today... I followed the line of pylons recently discussed that originate in Sundon and run via Newton Blossomville :) They end at a huge meeting-place of lots of pylon runs coming in from all directions.... One upon a time what would have been called a sub-station... Albeit a massive one... I wonder what the proper name is? Switching station? High-Voltage Hub?

It's been a true cracker of a day... Apart from the wind and temperature almost indistinguishable from a summer day :D
Super day up here too as you could see from the blue skies.

Sub-station is still the term used for those installations. Grendon has a few ins and outs including part of that 400kV Transmission line from Sundon eventually heading north through a few other substations Staythorpe/High Marnham/Cottam to West Burton in Notts.

I wonder if we have a transformer manufacturing industry in the UK? Well back in 2013 this one came from....
South Korea to Grendon.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Gorse can pop up a few yellow flowers at the least provocation and there were a few on adjacent bushes but this one was covered today, maybe not the brilliant yellow and aroma of cocunut you get on hot summer days but fairly well festooned with flowers.
December gorse in bloom<br />The Sandeman Port man is an added bonus
December gorse in bloom
The Sandeman Port man is an added bonus
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 18:49 I wonder if we have a transformer manufacturing industry in the UK? Well back in 2013 this one came from....
South Korea to Grendon.

Regards Neil

There's plenty of very distracting videos on Youtube of heavy haulage movements from GE Stafford. :-D

This one from 3 years ago of a 608 tonne transformer being delivered.

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Had a quick flick through my old copy of the Shropshire Star and was alarmed to find this story....dont know what happened after this....
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey