cylinder head gasket

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

johnjack
My Cars:

cylinder head gasket

Post by johnjack »

Hi all,I have had the cylinder head on my 306xrdt (1996) skimmed today and was advised to buy the thickest gasket available, I have now purchased a new gasket but it looks extremely flimsy compared with the original gasket. Are there different qualities of cylinder head gaskets? I am a retired gent and don't want to do the same job twice, the new gasket is 1.58mm thick, could anyone please enlighten me.
thank you,
jj
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Thickest gasket is 1.73M/M according to the Haynes book.
Please can you re-post this in the Peugeot section, you may get a few more answers.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if this is diesel have you had valves sunk to corect depth if not they will contact pistonsregards malcolm
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

After a head skim you replace with the same thickness of gasket that came off. Different gaskets have different numbers of notches. The gaskets are specced for piston protrusion.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes may be but you still have to sink valves to corect depth because you have taken some of head face also use good quality gasket there are some crap ones out there GSF sell decent ones they also have knoledg on these things