County Gallery (Originals Only)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: County Gallery (Originals Only)

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 10:53 My turn to try a very small cheat - in 1978 I was at Stirling University for an OU summer school for M101 course. While there we climbed the hill behind the campus and looked out over the whole area. I took a couple of pictures which are now, it would seem, entombed on my USB hard drive. So I found this picture in the University's prospectus which is almost identical to the one I took, although there are more buildings on campus now, so can I claim Stirlingshire on that basis? :-D

Well my view is County Galleries (Originals Only) would have to rule that out Mick. I think for Ireland if we pursue it I may separate it off into another thread, but I think we should be able to crack Scotland with Originals.

Dunbartonshire does include the bottom bit of Loch Lomond, Davie is up in Banff or very adjacent to Banff across the River Deveron, and somewhere I have pics of Stirling, although there is a bit of a gap in my photography caused by digital storage being less than permanent while boxes of slides, and old packets of photos while requiring quite a rummage through are still there, and for me cover most areas of Scotland we need.

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 24 Nov 2020, 12:54, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Come on FCF members based in Scotland in particular and anyone else. Surely someone has been to Loch (bottom bit is Dunbartonshire) or Stirling :-D if nothing else.

Your FCF Needs you to rummage round your photo collections for any photos of
Scotland
Wigtonshire, Kircudbrightshire, Selkirkshire, Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire, Kinrossshire, Angus, Kincardineshire, Aberdeenshire, Banffshire
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I'm glad you said that Neil because I wasn't really happy about it after I'd posted it but it is a nice picture so I decided to leave it up there as possible inspiration for others. I have loads of pictures around Grangemouth on that drive too and ones from the ICI project down through the lowlands but I think you have covered all that area now. :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

img031.jpg
img032.jpg
Free bonus picture!! The Orkney Isles.

Not very good pictures but taken a while back on film. Stroma nearest, uninhabited now except for sheep, Orkneys in background.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Your star is next to Orkney now Peter, although on our map, artistic licence has plonked it for convenience off the East Coast of the Scottish Mainland :-D

Updated Map. I am finding my collection of Scottish County Photographs surprisingly bare after going through a box or two......I wonder where they have all gone :-D Aberdeen/Dundee/Selkirk/ Galashiels/ Stranraer/Kinross/Stirling I have visited many times...and taken pictures but they escape me for now. Time to dig out the slides and photograph the projected image, from the rail rover see if they help.
Peter invades Orkney
Peter invades Orkney
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Lovely Portpatrick Wigtownshire July 2009
Lovely Portpatrick Wigtownshire July 2009
temp5.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm sure I have pictures if some of the other parts of Scotland but I went through a couple of hundred photos today without finding any, I will have to look through my slides.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 00:08 I'm sure I have pictures if some of the other parts of Scotland but I went through a couple of hundred photos today without finding any, I will have to look through my slides.

Peter

Me too Peter, but at least one good side effect of this thread has been rediscovering of the over 100 boxes of slides which have remained unlooked at for many years, getting the projector out and trying to find some pictures from Scotland. We had a rail rover holiday in 1966 which so far I have found one box for, but full of joyous pictures and memories. Similarly out came the boxes for 1972, amother year when we spent a wonderful holiday upo at Gairloch. Again what a joy to remember that holiday and to have those images. Loads of pics of our grey Austin 1800 I thought we didnt have a single one. Even one with a tartan travel rug draped over the rear window. Even an AA Box not far from Ballachulish...would have hardly noticed it at the time.

Its not surprising looking back at those pictures that I like the things I do. Same as I did then :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I have a lot of my old cars on slides, I got them all out about a year ago, projected them on to the wall and put my camera on a tripod and photographed them all, loaded them into the computer - and they all dissapeared. :x It's 50 years since we moved here and I had just got round to doing it and now I have to do it again, I shan't be here in another 50 years so will have to get a move on. :-D

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

One more claimed in Scotland The Tay Railway Bridge on one side the Kingdom of Fife, on the other Angus.

So Angus is claimed.

Leaving these Counties awaiting an original photograph.....anyone been to Stirling Castle/ The bottom end of Loch Lomond ie Balloch or Aberdeen.....any offers? Where are our Scottish members.....?

Scotland
Kircudbrightshire, Selkirkshire, Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire, Kinrossshire, Angus, Kincardineshire, Aberdeenshire, Banffshire
angus in the mist
angus in the mist
Regards Neil

t
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

While we wait for further photos to complete the County Gallery, you may like to ponder this. The historic counties of England, as reported on POTD, of the 39 counties 38 have registered flags. Note these are not the flags and coats of arms of the administrative Counties

Pick you own out, test yourself by filling in the County names to the County Flags without looking them up for your own amusement or just look at the pretty colours....

Great site here, where all the answers are revealed, as well as plenty other info.

https://britishcountyflags.com/english-county-flags/
temp6.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Cheshire has got to be number 5. The three sheaves are used on the Chester Motor Club (my club) logo and the Duke of Westminster's arms as well I think.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Is 35 Warwickshire? ISTR seeing that by the side of the road (the M40?) and some blurb about Shakespeare's County.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

And 39. A white rose. Surely Yorkshire.

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Sorry to say I could only name 5, Herts, Essex, Middlesex, Surrey and Yorkshire and the last two were only from visiting The Oval and Headingley following England!! I feel some studying needed!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!