Energy Matters Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Energy Matters Global and Domestic

Post by bobins »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 09:51 I'm a keen cook Jim................if it comes in a plastic tray and pops in the microwave for six minutes. :-D

Mrs Bobins calls that the four stroke cycle:
Slide. Pierce. Ping. Scoff :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 10:12
Gibbo2286 wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 09:51 I'm a keen cook Jim................if it comes in a plastic tray and pops in the microwave for six minutes. :-D

Mrs Bobins calls that the four stroke cycle:
Slide. Pierce. Ping. Scoff :lol:
[/quote

🤣🤣🤣 Love it!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Nuclear energy is being given the treatment on the Powering Britain show on BBC2 right now. No doubt plenty of Electricite De France logos on display.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 19:35 Nuclear energy is being given the treatment on the Powering Britain show on BBC2 right now. No doubt plenty of Electricite De France logos on display.
Looking forward to that one :) I watched the gas episode last evening... Very good and quite an eye opener :o
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Just occasionally a wind turbine can provide a few seconds of simple entertainment as well as generating electricity...

https://www.facebook.com/cafeinstitutio ... 227782286/

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 27 Nov 2020, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 09:18 Just occasionally wind turbine can provide a few seconds of simple entertainment as well as generating electricity...

https://www.facebook.com/cafeinstitutio ... 227782286/
🤣🤣🤣 Loving that 😎😍
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Doesn't that look neat. It's what you get if you have some solar panels and want to contribute in a small way to the value of the French State's 83.7% Investment (2019) in Electricite de France.

https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/battery-storage

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It's neat Neil but it's bloody expensive, £5,600 to 8 grand. :( and when you try to buy the add-ons come thick and fast.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This is my morning mail from my supplier, Shell.

https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/blog/post ... ge-tariff
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 09:42 This is my morning mail from my supplier, Shell.

https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/blog/post ... ge-tariff
Doesnt apper that the market is short of those offerings on battery storage, but like you say a bit pricy. Same with those air source heat pumps etc surely they have to be less complex than a gas boiler. Manufacture them in volume (in the UK please) and they should be just as cheap as a gas boiler.

There has to be some incentive to change and there is no greater incentive than it being cheaper. Not sure targeting of incentives hits the right place, cant help feeling grants for installers just racks the price higher than it would have been without the grant. Maybe they should incentivise manufacturers to to gear up production or move from gas boiler manufacture to heat pump manufacture so the basic product gets cheaper quicker.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

..and in wind turbine news
Two wind turbines standing in a field.
One says to the other: “What kind of music do you like?”

The other replies
Spoiler: show
“I’m a big metal fan.”
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I was surprised to see on recent TV programme that the blades for wind turbines (or at least those ones) are made substantially of wood.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 18:21 ..and in wind turbine news
Two wind turbines standing in a field.
One says to the other: “What kind of music do you like?”
:lol:
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Lets have a look at domestic....and gas.

Some ideas seem a little crazy. Natural gas is a fossil fuel burn it and it emits CO2. Can't verify the figures but intuitively gas boilers are installed in huge numbers of domestic properties in the UK and a gas grid of varying quality/age covers most parts of the UK.

There is also an electricity grid which covers even more domestic properties in the UK, and electric heating of homes is not just a possibility but is already here, and has been for years. The new fangled kid on the block is the heat pump, and currently unnecessarily expensive to source and install and heading for new homes in the main. However making 22 million heat pumps should bring the cost down.

Gas is getting phased out apparently completely from 2050, but definitely in new properties from 2025, (now planned to be brought forward to 2023).

The can't do brigade are already kicking and screaming.

So one of the ideas is to mix 20% Hydrogen with the natural gas and feed it through the gas mains, and this would appear to be the crazy part. New boilers and other gas appliances have been specified to allow running on the new mix for a number of years. Bit like lead getting removed from petrol requiring a different engine design. However the 22 million gas boilers across Britain do not all comply, and neither do all of the similar number of gas cookers.

You can see why the gas companies would want this to happen, it effectively preserves and invests in and maintains a gas network which for domestic heating/cooking is heading for obsolescence, and an added bonus...in a ridiculous consequence where does the 20% hydrogen come from...yes steam reformation of natural gas by...the Gas Companies.

You can read the kicking and screaming here.....er its the DM...apologies and make your own mind up.

Never mind if gas cookers make nicer Yorkshire puddings and are not as dry as an electric cooker, if you want to get rid of burning gas in homes in the UK.....incentivise electric heating when the gas boilers are due for replacement. Make it cheaper and the public will switch, the industry will develop not to supply gas boilers but heat pumps/electric heating products and one by one domestic gas heating and cooking will disappear (naturally). There will be no market for domestic gas boilers or indeed domestic hydrogen gas boilers, and the more savvy manufacturers will prepare and make what the new market demands.

Yes, and digging up the streets and replacing the gas network so that it wont leak out the hydrogen from the mix, redundant and unnecessary.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 29 Dec 2020, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Some of the villages around here have never had a gas main, the homes are horrendously expansive to heat and cook with electricity by comparison to those who have gas.

Many use oil boilers or still have coal fires with back boilers, some use wood burners. all of which fall foul of the greenies obsession with emissions.