Citroen Relay wiring fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete829
My Cars: Citroen Relay x250

Citroen Relay wiring fault

Post by pete829 »

Hi guys
Please take a minute to read this and offer any suggestions you can as I am a bit lost and not sure how to proceed.
The vehicle is a Citroen Relay van. X250. 2016 year 2.0 which we have been converting to a Motor home for the past three months. All was going really well until I came to installing the leisure battery's under the passenger seat.
In order for them to fit I had to cut out some of the foam insulation under the seat and without realizing the loom ran under the seat frame I accidentally cut through 4 wires.
Very sloppy I know but we all make mistakes. :-D
Now I didn't realize my mistake until a week later when the vans battery went flat. This would have been due to it standing for a few weeks without use. I charged the battery and decided to give it a run and this is when I noticed the fuel gauge was on empty and light flashing plus the MIL lamp is lit.
The van seemed to run fine though and started etc without hiccup.
The next day I stripped the front seats out and lifted the sponge floor and found the 4 wires. I soldered them back together and tried things out but the gauge and MIL lamp were the same.
I tried code reading the ECU but our Snap on scanner from work needs an update and all the vans are on it except mine so couldn't read it properly, even on OBD 2.
I tried downloading a wiring diagram from Autodata but it dosent show wire colors on it as its using the Citroen number system which quite frankly I dont understand. #-o
Now my questions are as follows.
3 of the cut wires were all black with no tracer. I dont know if I have connected them to there correct partners as there are no tell tale marks on them saying which one belongs with whom. Are these wires earth wires being all the same color and if so would it matter if they were mixed up?
What color are the fuel sender wires from the fuel pump?
would a fuel gauge fault Illuminate the MIL lamp on these vehicles?
Is the fuel sender unit fused?
Last but not least would a wiring diagram from a 2.2 diesel model be the same as my model.
Thanks in advance for reading this and I hope you can shed some light on the situation before I have to send it in to Citroen dealer.
Pete
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Citroen Relay wiring fault

Post by wheeler »

A wiring diagram may be the same but no guarantees.
The last 8 digits of the VIN will enable the right diagrams to be looked up. Unfortunately the diagrams are specific to each system so you really need some sort of idea what the wires are for to get the diagram for the system you need.
Can you read any of the codes on the wires?
I cant think why the fuel sender wiring would be in the seat frame.
pete829

Post by pete829 »

Thanks Wheeler.
I will try and see if there are any other markings on the black cables tomorrow when its light and try to see where they are heading too. They are only very thin.
The wiring ran under the seat frame and only became apparent once I cut the sponge floor out from under the seat frame.
All I can think is that these wires in question may be CAN wires due to there gauge but I thought all CAN wires were twisted together where these are not.
pete829

Post by pete829 »

The black wires are earth. They meet at a common earth point so that's not the issue.
Does anyone know which colour wires go to the fuel sender please.
Once I know which wire to check I can get on.
I have.
Grey
Grey/black
Grey/brown
Black/purple.
All going into the fuel tank. Which is feed and which is return for fuel sender?
Thanks to anyone trying to help.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Need the last 8 digits of the VIN for a wiring diagram.
Remember the wiring may go through interconnections or splices & may change colour several times along its length. Also wire codes take priority over the colours.
pete829

Post by pete829 »

vin is. 12C80326.
It might be handy to know if the color does change at all up to the Body control module.
Thanks for your help.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

VIN will be 17 digits, starting VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]....
Chris
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Only the last 8 digits is needed to get the vehicle info, besides if the full VIN is written I cant read it due to the blocking thing the forum does, even if its sent by PM.

I will take a look at a diagram tomorrow at some point.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Ok the sender wires are all one piece from the BSI to the sender, The colours show as GRN & GRM which I take to be grey/black & grey/brown? The wire numbers are 75 & 76, numbers take priority over colours.
pete829

Post by pete829 »

Perfect thank you. I will have a look tonight when back from work. I know I have them colors coming from the fuel pump already so now I know which ones Im dealing with.
Thanks again.