Warning triangle on dash

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tgah
My Cars: 2013 Citroen Berlingo 1.6HDI

Warning triangle on dash

Post by tgah »

Hi and thanks for adding me to your forum. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but after searching I couldn’t find anything related to my problem.
I have a 2013 1.6 HDI with around 93k mileage. Today its started bringing on the warning triangle (solid not flashing) 25 seconds after turning the ignition on along with the words ‘engine fault’ on the central display, no other warning symbols are showing. Oddly this happens regardless of if the engine is started or not! The ‘engine’ symbol however is not illuminated. I’ve reset the service mileage just in case but no change. Plugging in an Autel MaxiDas DS708 diagnostic unit and doing a full scan returns two fault codes F017 and F066. ‘Absence of communication with the diesel additive pump’ and ‘absence of communication with the battery charge status control unit’ respectively.
For the initial 25 seconds the engine runs and revs normally but then goes into ‘limp home’ mode limiting it to 3.5k rpm and limited power.
I presume it’s the additive communication fault that’s causing the ‘limp mode’ as I wouldn’t be able to regenerate the DPF. Does anyone know if these two units are linked (on the same canbus) or where the additive ecu and charge state ecu are located so I can check why they’ve lost communication with the main bsi/ecu? I’ve tried all the power off and reset tricks but no luck.
Thanks in advance for any help.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Warning triangle on dash

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Best to pop your VIN up so we can see exactly what you have and to ensure the codes realtes to the specific engine ECU. I'm not getting a code F017, but F066 is a fault with communication on the LIN network between the BSI and the Battery Charge Status Control Unit. When this fault is active you probably won't have power to the 12V socket or any relating to thermal heating (comfort).

Have you had any work done lately or has the vehicle been standing with little to no use for any substantial time?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
tgah

Post by tgah »

Hi thanks for the reply. Here’s the VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. The car doesn’t get a lot of use at present just a couple of short runs during the week and maybe a run at the weekend if allowed! No work has been done on it for quite a while and no warning symptoms showed prior to the problem. It had a seven mile trip on Thursday and sat until Sunday when the problem started. As the engine doesn’t need to be started to bring up the fault could the 25 second delay be a canbus comms time out?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so I guessed right before I had your VIN - so that explanation stands.

My first thoughts are that the battery has become weakened after sitting for long periods and then only short journeys which isn't really charging it up to capacity.

I suggest you follow this guide for removing an replacing the battery: BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure and put it on charge for 24 hours or longer if needed (hopefully you can keep the vehicle secure).

There are various electrical systems that operate on the vehicle after it has been stopped and locked for a short while./ Also if the battery is the original it is probably lost a lot of its original capacity after 7-8 years. But do try a charge and see if this resolves your issues.

Marc
tgah

Post by tgah »

I changed the battery last year as it was getting a bit lazy. It spins over very lively at present and charges at a good 14v so would be very surprised if that was the cause of going into limp mode but will give it an overnight charge to see if it helps. I have gone through the BSI reset procedure but will retry after a charge.
I found a list of Citroen fault codes on line at gerritspeek.nl and have attached the F017 one. If it has lost communication to the battery charge state module do you know where it’s located? I guess somewhere in the engine bay?
Thanks for you help.
Attachments
Fault codes
Fault codes
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Check all of the fuses you can find, it could be that the charge control module has lost its power feed.
tgah

Post by tgah »

I’ve checked all fuses under the bonnet and some through the panel hole in the glove box (BSI?) but due to the wonderful design it looks like I need to remove the front in its entirety as some are impossible to get to. A job for the weekend I think!
tgah

Post by tgah »

Update...
Battery removed (SOH 98% SOC 52%) to be expected as I’ve started and stopped it many time over the last few days. Fully charged (SOC 98%) refitted to vehicle using recommended procedure but still the same two faults. When battery was removed I did a visual on the charge state unit and wiring, all looked ok. Will check that it’s getting a supply at the weekend although not sure why a failure of the unit would put the car in to limp home mode?
Does anyone know where the diesel additive ecu is located? I’ve lifted the carpet on the inner sill near the central post as I read somewhere that’s where it is but no luck finding it!
Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There isn't a separate additive ECU on this engine - the diesel additive function is controlled by the engine ECU, which commands the additive pump to meter out the additive. That's why I'm not getting a fault code F017 against this specific engine because it doesn't have a separate additive ECU.

If you could get it read with Diagbox that would be better as that will be able to read all the codes including the constructor-specific codes for this engine and any that you other code reader may not be able to read.

Marc
tgah

Post by tgah »

The Autel unit I borrowed must be telling me fibs if the ecu doesn’t exist on my car, thanks for the heads up or I would have been searching for ever! The Autel is a pc (ruggedised tablet) based unit where you select the make model and generation and It scans the entire car, engine, BSI, abs, air con, airbag, audio etc so I kind of took its codes as gospel! I’ve contacted a couple of garages that are happy to plug it into their systems though not sure what they are until I get there. I’ll update if I get any useful information from them. Thanks again for your help👍
kevintblades
New User
My Cars: Peugeot partner

Post by kevintblades »

Any update on vehicle

Kind regards
Kevin