Driving pony and trap

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Re: Driving pony and trap

Post by Michel »

I see it regularly around here - we have a traveller’s permanent site just up the road. I’ve never seen it cause a problem. I’d imagine if you’re brought up with handling horses and traps, then it’s not much of an issue. I must see it if not daily, at least 3 or 4 times per week.

I find riders on horseback to be much more problematic and up themselves!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 11:53 The only official documentation I can find relating to this issue has no mention of age at all. See:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... assessment
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 10:12 That would be this Code of Practice
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-vehicles

But in the first paragraph it negates any requirement to follow it, or for it to be enforcable other than as a condition of a licence to operate a passsenger carrying service.

"The assessment is not a compulsory requirement for those wishing to drive horses but may be required if an operator wants to receive a local authority licence to operate a passenger carrying service.

Regards Neil
Same thing I quoted from.

Looking at the Horsey info British Horse Society, Horse and Hound etc, the general concensus is there is no legislation on the "age of driving/riding" for Horses.

In the event of an accident....this article maps out the sort of things necessary to be established under the common law of Negligence including the duty of care to other road users.

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/animal-law/ro ... by-horses/

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I think that article does discuss highly relevant points even though, as an aside, I found this wording rather odd:
"on a footpath or causeway by the side of the road made or set apart for the use of foot passengers."

Should that not have said pedestrians rather than foot passengers?

Back to the main point, if a ten year old is generally considered not legally responsible for his/her crimes then if the said 10 year old turns his/her trap across a line of oncoming traffic causing the first vehicle to swerve off the road and do damage then who pays the costs? :?: :(
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I asked a groom that I know about riding horses on the road, and he replied "Why are you asking me, I'm just getting married", so instead I asked a lady I know whose job it is to look after horses and she said there's no requirement for any formal training or insurance before you take a horse out, but a sensible person / parent would have insurance in place and would make sure their child could handle a horse properly and knew what they were capable of before they let them out on their own. She'd be happy to let a child of 12 out on their own driving a pony and trap on a quiet lane if they'd grown up with horses.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

bobins lady friend said: " there's no requirement for any formal training or insurance before you take a horse out, but a sensible person / parent would have insurance in place "
Thanks bobins I think I have the answer I wanted there. Basically if a 10 year old takes out a horse drawn vehicle and causes major problems it is unlikely that there will be anyone to blame or claim from!! Yet to ride a moped a license is required with significant hoops to jump through etc...It just seems wrong to me!!
Thanks for all the contributions which have cleared up the matter for me!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

mickthemaverick wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 10:54 .......... Basically if a 10 year old takes out a horse drawn vehicle and causes major problems it is unlikely that there will be anyone to blame or claim from!!
I think lawyers and the legal industry would take a counter view on that. !!!!!!
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 12:44 I think that article does discuss highly relevant points even though, as an aside, I found this wording rather odd:
"on a footpath or causeway by the side of the road made or set apart for the use of foot passengers."

Should that not have said pedestrians rather than foot passengers?
I thought that sounded like a phrase from a bit of old legislation no doubt repealed but maybe the phrase still carries over even in more recent legislation
Highways Act 1835 for entertainment and amusement.. :-D

Penalty on persons committing nuisances by riding on footpaths, &c.

"If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon;. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ; every person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid shall for each and every such offence forfeit and pay any sum not exceeding [level 2 on the standard scale], over and above the damages occasioned thereby. "
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

^^^^^^

and looks like the clause introduced under the reign of Guiliemi IV Regis may still be in force
https://roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/1835highwayact/
"....Those who rant at cyclists for pavement riding tend not to rant at motorists committing the exact some offence. The offence was introduced in 1835. While all other parts of the 1835 Highway Act have been either amended or repealed, clause 72 remains in force."
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey