Xantia heater issues...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia heater issues...

Post by CitroJim »

Mark Graham wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 18:23 I ordered a resistor module from ebay and it was rubbish and didnt work at all.
Indeed :evil: I examined one of these a while back and was shocked to discover it had totally the wrong power transistors fitted :shock: NPN ones instead of PNP...

In fairness, the part number on the transistors were only one digit different but that made all the difference...

Faulty (genuine) ones are very amenable to repair and I've somewhere published a 'how to' somewhere on this forum...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mark Graham
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Peugeot 605 2.1 srdt. Peugeot 605 3.0 V6 SVE. Xantia 1.9 sx Auto. Xantia 2.0 Activa.

Post by Mark Graham »

little bit of an update, I think there was a small air lock in the heater matrix. I didnt manage to get coolant to flow out the bleed valve but i think i got most of the air out and i now have warm air!

The flap seems to be working as i can change it from cold to warm air

Even though the coolant was just changed it looks very rusty to me which makes me think that it was mostly water before it was changed, I think i am going to drain the coolant again and flush out matrix, engine and radiator in turn.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mark, excellent 🙂 Progress!

Yes, do flush the cooling system and refill with a good antifreeze mix. The engine will thank you as they thrive on a well maintained cooling system and quickly object if not so. Do also check your cooling fans work too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Result! Good news.
Air-locks in the heater matrix (and worse, the cylinder head) are not unknown, and it helps to use a temporary "header bottle" to force air out of the system after refilling it.
header bottle, corrected.jpg
Any 1L bottle will do, bottom cut off, and a short length of old hose, with a snug fit into the car's header tank, so it blocks off the overflow hole. Keep the bottle at least half-full of coolant as the engine gets up to full working temperature, indicated by the fans cutting in at least twice. The additional head of coolant encourages air out of the system, and out of the bleed screws. It also allows you to easily see when air has stopped coming out of the system. Leave in place while the engine cools.
Chris
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Good progress Mark :)

On a side note if the resistor replacement does not work i have a blower motor from a MK2 that is yours for postage costs
Mark Graham
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Peugeot 605 2.1 srdt. Peugeot 605 3.0 V6 SVE. Xantia 1.9 sx Auto. Xantia 2.0 Activa.

Post by Mark Graham »

white exec wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 16:49 Result! Good news.
Air-locks in the heater matrix (and worse, the cylinder head) are not unknown, and it helps to use a temporary "header bottle" to force air out of the system after refilling it.

Any 1L bottle will do, bottom cut off, and a short length of old hose, with a snug fit into the car's header tank, so it blocks off the overflow hole. Keep the bottle at least half-full of coolant as the engine gets up to full working temperature, indicated by the fans cutting in at least twice. The additional head of coolant encourages air out of the system, and out of the bleed screws. It also allows you to easily see when air has stopped coming out of the system. Leave in place while the engine cools.
thank you very much! Worked a treat, no airlocks now :-)
xantia header.jpg
Mark Graham
(Donor 2021)

Post by Mark Graham »

admiral51 wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 16:51 Good progress Mark :)

On a side note if the resistor replacement does not work i have a blower motor from a MK2 that is yours for postage costs
Thank you very much for the offer! I will let you know when the replacement i ordered arrives :-)