Diagbox and DS5

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

petef
My Cars: DS DS5, C4 Coupe, DS23 Pallas, Xantia Activa

Diagbox and DS5

Post by petef »

Hi there
I will post this here, because it relates specifically to the DS5, but I suppose it should also be in 'Diagnostics'
I’m trying to update my Diagbox so that it will read, and erase where possible, any faults found on my recently acquired 17 plate DS5 Prestige Auto. I currently have a Rev C full chip Actia clone with 4.3.7 firmware running Diagbox V7.855 which, I think, is the latest that can be used without paying Citroen for on-line access, although I may well be wrong about that.
Problem is that about half of the ECU’s are not recognised by Diagbox including those of the all-important Engine, Autobox and ABS. They are communicated with, seen and faults identified, but cannot be erased as that functionality only comes when the ECU is recognised and identified by Diagbox. Has anyone found a successful way of using Diagbox with later DS5’s? It would appear that earlier models can be read by Diagbox perfectly well judging by previous Facebook posts. As our cars get older and warranties (if any) lapse, it will become increasingly important to be able to diagnose and erase faults that occur. My previous Lexia kit worked a treat on various C5’s I owned over the years and saved me a fortune in garage diagnoses.
cit-rotti
Donor 2024
My Cars: C5R; C5X7; C6; SM

Re: Diagbox and DS5

Post by cit-rotti »

Hello,
Cars up to mid-2015 should take the DB 7.57 or max. 7.62 can be diagnosed.
Cars up to the beginning of 2016 require max. 7.82 - corresponds to 8.18.
The higher updates - 8.19 to 8.55 (7. 819 - 7.855), which are also patched under DIAGBOX 7, make no sense for newer cars.
These updates from Simple are only APP updates for LEXIA / PLANET.
The firmware from 7.57 (4.3.2) should never be touched.
With the correct diagnostic software, the firmware is always installed automatically.
Changes to the firmware with a flash program often binds the VCI to the V07 patch and can then no longer be used for higher software. It also has no advantage in diagnosing newer vehicles.
If the software 7.57 / 7.62 or 7.82 does not fully recognize the control unit configuration of your car, this could be due to the following reasons:
The installed software is faulty.
Your VCI is a bad China cracker.
The control units of your DS5 require higher software.
Greetings Wolfgang
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

There is another possibility why the engine ECU is not being recognised. Has the car had an engine ECU update at the dealers? I believe that this changes things so that the Diagbox software can't identify the ECU against its list of known ECUs.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
petef

Post by petef »

My car is April 2017, the comments from Wolfgang only seem to relate to cars up to the beginning of 2016. Do I assume that Diag 7.82 should still be ok for my car?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pete - what's the VIN of the DS5 please?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
cit-rotti
Donor 2024
My Cars: C5R; C5X7; C6; SM

Post by cit-rotti »

The control units of your DS5 require higher software.

[/quote]

... it is very likely that you will need the DIAGBOX 9.68 MrRorry or the original version for a car from 2017.
I don't know of any free activated software.
If your VCI worked correctly with the V07.57 (for vehicles up to 2015) and no firmware flash program was used, then there are no restrictions with the V09 .. either.
petef

Post by petef »

Vin number is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

OK, so you have one of the last production models as they were going to dump the DS5 in 2018 - but extremely poor sales may have speeded that up - so they were using up old stocks. So you have an older model with a mix of old and new tech. I think that's why you are having issues with your version of Diagbox not reading some of the newer ECU software - they are just not in the older databases.

There is a later version of Diagbox (V9) that you will have to pay to activate a licence for - but without remote telecoding. You should still be able to read and clear faults and manually telecode in some cases, but I can't say exactly what as this will depend on model etc.

So you'll need to do a bit of research around DB V9.68. Some are selling this version (you must remove all previous versions first) for a lifetime activation licence - but off-line telecoding funtions vary considerably from model to model - so there are no guarantees that you will be able to perform all the same telecoding functions. But you should be able to read and clear fault codes.

Be aware that there are still a lot of areas that will flag up a SERMI notice (SEcurity related Repair and Maintenance Information) which are designed to protect access to areas of vehicle data / systems considered to be secure and these require an authorised log in to access which you won't have. This shouldn't be a problem for general diagnostics and troubleshooting, but some areas may be locked out - I will probably be getting this version at some time after the new year when we look at getting a later vehicle - so will likely be needing this too.

But from what I can tell, this V9.68 will work with DS vehicles as well as the new PSA / Opel models.

Marc
petef

Post by petef »

Thanks for the comprehensive response Marc. I did think that the DS was on the cusp of being too new for Diagbox 7.xx which does explain why some ECU's are read and some aren't. I will research 9.68 but probably not take the plunge yet. If Wolfgang is correct, having flashed the firmware on the Actia to 4.3.7, might have prevented it from working with newer Diagbox versions any way. In the meantime please hurry up and get a newer car yourself so that you have to update your own Diagbox and we can all benefit - as ever - from your experience......! :lol: Until then I will soldier on hopefully relying on the 2 year DS Dealer warranty that came with the car to sort out any problems.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I surely will :-D

Weather is making it extremely difficult to prep the existing cars ready for sale though at present.

Marc
petef

Post by petef »

Looks like I've fallen at the first hurdle - Diagbox 9.68 appears to run in VMware which needs a 64bit system. My dedicated laptop is 32bit - as was needed by Diagbox 7.xx. So new laptop needed.....Christmas soon I suppose, but knowing my luck I won't be able to get it to work any way. Ho hum.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Nah, not needed Pete. That version should support both 32 and 64 bit systems. VMware is a matter of personal preference and is not necessary - only for reverting back to a default configuration if it goes toes up. You don't need to change your laptop - especially if you already have a dedicated diagnostic machine (as Diagbox is a messy installation as we know).

Be aware that the licence you purchase will be hardware-locked to the machine you install it on - which excludes the operating system and the hard drive (as these are obviously commonly replaced / upgraded), so will probably use the motherboard / network MAC code or other.

So save the wonga that you would of spent on a laptop and use that for a few beers that you probably will need for the installation routine :-D

Marc
petef

Post by petef »

I was looking at some of the dubiously cheap offerings on ebay which all seem to operate within VMware. I have now seen other suppliers who, as you say, indicate 9.68 will work with both 32bit and 64bit systems. I will just have to bite the bullet and buy a licence I suppose. Let us all know, won't you Marc , when you take the plunge.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I will Pete - got to source the car first and sell the others!

Marc
petef

Post by petef »

Just as an aside, traded my C5 in with the DS agent in Carlisle, accepting a pittance because I knew it had a dodgy turbo. It appears a month later at the other end of England, with a small dealer in Kent asking three times what I got for it. Somebody is dreaming......I fancy it will be on Gumtree for a while.