Switching from RT6 to SMEG

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

MattR
My Cars: DS5, Citroen DS5, Citroen Cactus

Switching from RT6 to SMEG

Post by MattR »

Hiya.

I’m looking to switch from the RT6 system to SMEG with Apple CarPlay. There’s a couple of units for sale on eBay. I just wondered if it’s even possible? I currently have a 2015 DS5 with a... less than perfect system that I’ve had to turn Bluetooth off in order to work properly. So switching units I can do, but would an upgraded SMEG unit even be compatible? And is it more than just switching over the units?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Matt
DCI_GeneHunt
My Cars: Citroen DS5 2015 163 HDi DSport
Have had...
Peugeot 308 1.6 HDi. Peugeot 307 2.0 HDi, Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi, Peugeot 406 1.9 DT

Re: Switching from RT6 to SMEG

Post by DCI_GeneHunt »

Hi Matt, I guessing as you have a RT6 system that your 2015 DS5 is a early 2015 pre facelifted Citroen DS5? I too have a 2015 pre facelift DS5 and I'm planning on upgrading also, however I'm planning on skipping the SMEG unit and going for a NAC unit!!

I think either you should go to the Audio & Telematics forum with this question or if maybe a Moderator could move this tread to the Audio & Telematics area!

Link to Audio & Telematics area
viewforum.php?f=44

From my understanding the SMEG unit uses a touchscreen the same as the NAC units, and if so, you are then moving into the same dilemma I'm in!!!
I think you will need more then a head unit. I think you'll need the following:

#1. Head unit
#2. Patch cable to convert from a RT6 unit to SMEG/NAC unit
#3. A touchscreen
#4. A later DS5 (2016 onwards) Heater Control Panel Unit (Center Dash Trim)
#5. A FAKRA LVDS cable to connect the head unit to the touchscreen.
MattR
My Cars: DS5, Citroen DS5, Citroen Cactus

Post by MattR »

So I’ve been mistaken. I actually have the NAC unit, not the RT6. I have the facelifted DS version, but one of the earlier ones before Apple CarPlay was introduced to the DS5.

I’ve looked into it a lot since posting and I’m still really unsure. Obviously with an upgraded SMEG unit there will be features on there that will never work, for example; tire pressure monitoring. My car doesn’t have it, if the new SMEG unit is installed it will show that it has it, but it actually doesn’t.
On the other hand the NAC unit I have currently is awful. Just a complete waste of time, for example -

1. I can’t connect my phone through Bluetooth because it makes it crash and restart every couple of minutes.
2. Want to skip a song? Think again, the only audio controls that actually work are the volume controls, and that goes for the steering wheel too
3. The sat nav is terrible, There are so many menus and sub menus that go with it that just makes it impossible to use. Trying to find the option to put in a postcode takes up half of your travelling time,

So I do want to switch to have Apple CarPlay. But I don’t want to lose any functionality... or gain any functionality that I won’t be able to use :? #-o
DCI_GeneHunt
My Cars: Citroen DS5 2015 163 HDi DSport
Have had...
Peugeot 308 1.6 HDi. Peugeot 307 2.0 HDi, Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi, Peugeot 406 1.9 DT

Post by DCI_GeneHunt »

Hi Matt, If you have an early facelifted model, I take it you have a touchscreen and the matching heater control panel (there's less buttons to the earlier Citroen DS5 models) you should also have a little storage pocket in front of the hand brake button too.
I think you have a SMEG head unit. I'm not sure how you can confirm which system you have in your car, but there should be an info page in a sub menu on your system. I'm new to this this website, but I have seen others here can check your car setup using your VIN, all you have to do is post your cars VIN no. (apparently it will be hidden automatically to the public). I think you really need to confirm what you have before buying a different head unit, or you could end up buying a different head unit with the same operating system.

From my understanding PSA Group (Citroen & Peugeot) used a RT6 (RNEG2) infotainment systems on DS5 up to 2015, they facelifted the car in mid 2015, and upgraded the infotainment system to SMEG, then in about mid 2016 they upgraded again to NAC (NAC is the current infotainment system in the PSA group).

If you go ahead and change the head unit - the head unit will need to be coded to work with your car, you will need someone with a computer and the special software to setup the head unit for your car, the features you mention above are not part of the head unit - tyre pressure monitoring is a add-on module that "talks" to the head unit. As part of the coding setup, you can activate or deactivate these features.