The Chain...make the next link

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: The Chain...make the next link

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The random selection method for Popayan was 36 playing cards. One of the cards was the selection card...the "Queen of Hearts"

The 36 cards including the Queen of Hearts were "dealt" face down on the floor after shuffling in a fairly random pattern rather than in rows. The cards were then picked up one at a time and the 29th card picked up was the Queen of Hearts the pre arranged selection card (thanks to "Desperado" by the Eagles for "The Queen of Hearts is always your best bet").

Unbelievable selection when the 29th City on the list popped out. Why? Because the "random selection" had produced the first city designated by UNESCO. What are the chances of that happening?
"The first City of Gastronomy was Popayán in Colombia, designated in 2005. It hosts an annual National Gastronomic Congress of Popayán"
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

There is an easy and obvious link from Popayan to The Puttshack in Westfield which is across the road from the ex BBC Televion Centre opening up a whole host of destinations thanks to the numerous travel programmes produced during the BBC's tenure of the building!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 22:06 There is an easy and obvious link from Popayan to The Puttshack in Westfield
Well ask 100 fcf members apart from yourself Mick how many would get the easy and obvious link :?:

I presume its this
Spoiler: show
Popayan is also known as the White City, as I presume is the location of Puttshack/ the Westfield Shopping Centre and the ex BBC Television Centre in London
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Spot on Neil, as I expected. I thought it was easy because White City comes up on the first paragraph about Popayan in Wiki and I assumed most know the BBC Television Centre is in White City from Blue Peter days :-D . Maybe a case of familiarity breeding contempt but I plead mitigating circumstances, I am in the middle of a domestic crisis today and we are struggling to make sense of anything!! :)
NewcastleFalcon

I always associated the BBC Tv Centre as Shepherd's Bush, but all that area is "White City" including loftus road and QPR. There is a member on here called something like QPRdude so he may have got it straight away :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

It was the BBC Television Theatre that was in Shepherds Bush where they used to do live broadcasts from when a theatre audience was needed. The Headquarters was always The BBC Television Centre, Wood Lane, White City, London blah blah blah. until 2013 or 14 when they moved operations to Elstree and the TV Centre was taken over by BBC Studioworks who operate studios for TV companies to rent as needed as well as other office and academic services I believe. However as a man of Hadrians land I can accept your right to mix them up :-D :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 23:29 However as a man of Hadrians land I can accept your right to mix them up :-D :-D
Man fron Hadrians land say London Evening Standard describes it as Shepherds Bush so if the Staaanaard! isnt quite accurate enough and mixes it up, (or not as the case may be), then Newcastle Evening Chronicle reader aint going to stand a chance!
London Evening Standard-First look inside the BBC television centre after £200m revamp

The hoardings surrounding the famous “doughnut” building in Shepherds Bush that was the nerve centre of BBC TV for more than half a century were removed last night.

The 14-acre complex, where many of the corporation’s longest-running shows such as Blue Peter and Match Of The Day were made, and where such stars as Sir Bruce Forsyth and Sir Terry Wogan worked, opened in 1960.

But the site in Wood Lane was sold to developers Stanhope in a £200 million deal in 2012 and has been a secure building site for the past four years.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 00:00
Man fron Hadrians land say London Evening Standard describes it as Shepherds Bush so if the Staaanaard! isnt quite accurate enough and mixes it up, (or not as the case may be), then Newcastle Evening Chronicle reader aint going to stand a chance!

REgards Neil
Only fair to quote the horse's mouth on this one and thereby condemn the London Evening Standard to a future of scepticism within the ranks of Hadrian's Legions:

Two screenshots from the BBC website:
BFTW
BFTW
BFTW
BFTW
My case rests M'Lud, :-D :-D
NewcastleFalcon

I would suspect that the Standard refers to the general area where the television centre is ie Shepherds Bush. I can't imagine there are signs saying you are now entering Shepherds Bush please drive carefully and exit signs 300 metres up the road saying you are now leaving Shepherds Bush and entering White City please continue to drive carefully.

To me White City means the Dog Track where the Greyhound Derby was held, and the home of the Olympics in 1908 if anything, so a general and oft-repeated media reference to the BBC at Shepherds Bush, just like the Standard "lazily" or "imprecisely" did, doesn't really matter and I will not condemn the Standard for it and continue to regard it with the same reverence as I do the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

Should you wish to correct such a clear and obvious error of journalism, then you may be in a bit of confusion whether to write to the new editor Emily Sheffield, or the former editor now demoted to editor-in-chief George Osborne. Maybe cc George Osborne because it occurred on his watch as editor, but as courtesy send it to Emily.

I do hope George wasn't forced to step down as a result of "Shepherd's Bush Gate"

George Osborne stands down as editor of Evening Standard
He will be replaced by Emily Sheffield, who is the sister-in-law of former prime minister David Cameron

I'm sure there was quite a rigorous interview procees to land the job, maybe over Sunday lunch :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Just popped back here because our little daliance into the Indian Regions also supplied another correct answer on last night's University Challenge for yours truly.

Time to move away from the white city to the white city.....Tel Aviv..

also known as the "Big Orange", but not home of the jaffa cake, or of the person who thought it would be a good idea to make a flavoured gin out of them :-D
ImageImage
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Tel Aviv, the home of the pugnacious tax men, well the ones who 'live VAT'. :)
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 12:27 Tel Aviv, the home of the pugnacious tax men, well the ones who 'live VAT'. :)
I see that anagram is more appropriate than I first thought, craftsmanship at its finest Mick :-D
The product's classification as a cake or biscuit was part of a VAT tribunal in 1991, with the court finding in McVitie's favour that the Jaffa cake should be considered a cake for tax purposes
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I'm glad you spotted the link, I was beginning to think my delving had been wasted!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

So whats the link here?

Rover Chair leather at Barbican London 2010 Ron Arad
antgirl, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I'm assuming you are referring to the birthplace of the designer Ron Arad being Tel Aviv? :)