Bargain Basement Electric

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Bargain Basement Electric

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

10,000 miles mark passed
10,000 miles mark passed
Non, je ne regrette rien,

so far :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

BB Leaf stops for a picnic
BB Leaf stops for a picnic
Can't complain damp day out in and around the Cheviots zero fuel cost as usual. Bit of a hiccup at Kelso where the Chargeplace Scotland rapid charger was showing a red light and out of action, and not revivable by the back office. They confirmed Coldstream was ok 9 miles away and on the route anyway so no great problem.

The Borders Region Chargeplace Scotland chargers are all currently free, but did notice that as you stray into East Lothian and specifically North Berwick they tend to be 30p/ kWh plus £1.00.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I wonder how long it will take for local councils to add some kind of tax to the energy supplied at those points.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 09:40 I wonder how long it will take for local councils to add some kind of tax to the energy supplied at those points.
No doubt, but for now might as well enjoy the (mostly) free ride round these parts. Someone did tell me that NCC had tied in some windfarm developments into providing the free charging points.

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 30 Oct 2020, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

There'll be some civil servant sitting in a central government office, carefully working out where the tipping point is. The point where enough people have committed to electric cars that taxing them will make a difference and enough have committed that it won't matter unduly that some potential converts are frightened off. :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 09:40 I wonder how long it will take for local councils to add some kind of tax to the energy supplied at those points.
Hold on... Are a number of these charging stations free to use or have I got that wrong?

If so, I want and demand an allocation of free petrol!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

CitroJim wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 16:34
Hold on... Are a number of these charging stations free to use or have I got that wrong?

If so, I want and demand an allocation of free petrol!
:rofl2:
Me too!!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think they are only Tesla Mick, you pay for the electricity when you buy the car! Much cheaper if you can charge them at home on off peak.

The Nissan leaf is about the cheapest second hand, 4 - 5k. There are some good videos on Youtube on repairing them.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 16:50 I think they are only Tesla Mick, you pay for the electricity when you buy the car! Much cheaper if you can charge them at home on off peak.

The Nissan leaf is about the cheapest second hand, 4 - 5k. There are some good videos on Youtube on repairing them.

Peter
Depends where you live Peter. Northumberland and the Scottish Borders are well covered for free chargers at the moment. Have to pay £20/year to access the chargeplace scotland ones. I am also in the BP Chargemaster Polar Plus club which costs about £7.85/month and gives you access to all their chargers across the Country. Dont really need it, but keeping it on for now.

So my experience , in the BB leaf, in our little stomping ground, mostly Northumberland and the Borders with occasional straying into Durham and Yorkshire, has been over 10,000 miles and I have used about £50 of paid for chargers and the rest has been gratis.

Not the same everywhere else, but most people charge at home, and with the appropriate shopping around for tariffs you can get a reasonably cheap rate, at least half the rate of on the road paid for chargers. I have never once charged the car at home in the time we have had it.

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 31 Oct 2020, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks for that info Neil, didn't know anyone actually ran one :wink: I think it's the very fast chargers that are expensive, something approaching the cost of a diesel. Charged from home I reckoned they should cost around 2 - 3 pence per mile. Is that your experience?

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

I think Simon will have the chapter and verse on that Peter, but put simply my little stats on the Leaf show 4.2 Miles per kW at the moment so you can compare that to your current home electricity tariff. I think at the moment ours with Scottish Power is around the 15p per kW and we havent done anything sensible like constantly switching providers for years, so no doubt better tariffs are available. If you have the meter to allow you to get one of the more bespoke tariffs I'm sure the charging overnight thing can get tariffs as low as 5p/kW.

So without trying if I charged at home right now it would be around 3.6p/mile.

Different vehicles/different driving styles/summer/winter etc all effect how many miles you get out of a kW but I hope that sums up my experience as a relative novice with only 10,000 Electric miles under my belt!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

That's pretty good, our off peak is about 8p per kwh and daytime 16p but it keeps going up whereas heating oil is the cheapest its been for ages, works out at about 4p kwh from the boiler! Even better from a modern one, ours is only 85% efficient. Thats 8.5 kw per litre, cheaper than gas at the moment.

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I got an email from Shell Energy yesterday telling me that I'm paying too much at £44 per month DD so they're reducing it to £39 per month. :-D That's dual fuel gas and electric.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Your house obviously costs a lot less to heat than ours does. :( Electricity 75 pounds per month, oil about 50 and anthracite around 100 in the winter, plus propane for the cooker that's probably another 10. Wo do have quite a bit of our own wood though.

Peter
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Just for comparison ours is £95 per month gas & electric with Bulb. 3 bed semi with loft and cavity wall insullation and upvc double glazing. We do like to keep the house around 20-21 C all the time!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!