Turbo clean

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richy-one-kit
New User
My Cars: Ford transit courier 1.6tdci (Citroen 1.6hdi)

Turbo clean

Post by Richy-one-kit »

Hi guys first ever post ! So be nice.

Has anyone ever cleaned turbo on the 1.6hdi turbo with mr muscle? If so how was it done and what part of turbo was disconnected?

Reason I’m wanting to clean it as I’m getting an under boost code and Iv already replaced the
Map
Maf
Boost solenoid
Blanked egr
I’m at a totally loose end please help 🙈🤣
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Turbo clean

Post by GiveMeABreak »

We don't support Emissions disabling here of which the EGR is part of - please read the AUP first:

AUP

As you've already done this, the engine ECU will not be getting correct readings and will be changing other settings that will likely cause issues - so I suggest you un-blank it. The EGR is only operated under certain conditions and controlled by the engine ECU to perform certain functions which can affect the air and fuelling calculations. Blanking this is not only illegal for road going vehicles, but will also make finding your original issue much more difficult.

Typically, the EGR has the following functions:

The rate of exhaust gas recycling (EGR) is increased by acting on the following parameters:
  • The reduction of the inlet pressure
  • The rate of opening of the EGR electrovalve valve
Engine hot: The engine ECU controls the EGR throttle (cold air meter) and closes the inlet air heater throttle (hot air meter) to reduce the inlet pressure. The more the EGR throttle (cold air meter) is closed the lower the inlet pressure and the greater the rate of exhaust gas recycling.
Engine cold: The engine ECU controls the inlet air heater throttle (hot air meter) and closes the EGR throttle (cold air meter) to reduce the inlet pressure. The more the inlet air heater throttle (hot air meter) is closed the lower the inlet pressure and the greater the rate of exhaust gas recycling.

The engine ECU also determines, in accordance with engine maps, the percentage opening of the EGR electrovalve.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

I've not done so on that particular car, but have done it on a few others, with occasionally successful result. Does thus turbo even have VNT though? If so, you're best removing it completely from car to clean, that way you can rinse it out when done.

I'd unblank the EGR if I was you. There's a chance that will be contributing to the fault - some vehicles, don't know if this is one of them, also use the EGR as a sort of wastegate, in reverse of its normal function, to vent inlet air to the exhaust, e.g. on abrupt throttle lift-off.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Depends on the age of the engine and the power output. In the original 16V version the 90 BHP had a std waste gate whereas the 110 version had a VNT - with a vac actuated boost controller (on the back of the engine). Probably all the later engines have a VNT. Easy to check on earlier engines, the actuator is right on the front of the turbo, with the engine off you should be able to push it down easily, and then it should return quickly. When the engine is started the vac should pull the actuator down. Usually faults with the VNT result in overboost as the default is the full boost position.
Richard W
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

If it has a double butterfly air doser i would def check that it is not sticking