Citroen Relay X250 Starting Issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Adamhratcliffe
My Cars: Citroen Relay Camper
Mini Cooper S

Citroen Relay X250 Starting Issue

Post by Adamhratcliffe »

Hello.

My relay is having a starting issue.

I am hoping it’s a duff battery or starter motor.

I have tried to start it with my boost bank but it still only reads 11 or so volts. When I turn the key nothing happens then it clicks once then more rapidly.

All fuses on top of the battery are fine and the voltage from battery to the fuse box in the bonnet is consistent with that of the battery.

Starter motor? Starter solenoid? Where should I be looking. Video attached to help.

Thank you.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Citroen Relay X250 Starting Issue

Post by wheeler »

Just looks like a battery fault to me, what power of battery pack are you using? I would guess that the battery on your relay is at least 700 amps. I'd get another vehicle on it with jump leads for 15 minutes.
You could also connect a jump lead between the chassis & engine block to rule out an earthing fault too.
Adamhratcliffe
Mini Cooper S

Post by Adamhratcliffe »

I hope so... it’s the original battery in it (2016 plate)

I will put a jumper on the battery to a sound earth and check that too. Thanks for the swift reply. I’ll go and try the above...
Adamhratcliffe
Mini Cooper S

Post by Adamhratcliffe »

Been hooked up to my mini for about 15 mins. Everything seems normal but still no start. You ca hear the starter motor turn for about1/2 a second. Volts are reading 14.5 measured across the terminals. Does this mean it just needs to charge for longer?
Adamhratcliffe
Mini Cooper S

Post by Adamhratcliffe »

Okay. Whilst trying to start it with the Jump leads on. I kept the ignition held on whilst it clicked again and after maybe10 clicks I noticed a little cloud of smoke which smelled electrical come through the battery bay.
Adamhratcliffe
Mini Cooper S

Post by Adamhratcliffe »

Tried earthing the battery direct to block as bi difference. To me this does seem to be a faulty starter?

When I changed my vivaro starter it was a front bumper off, radiator out etc. Is this the same or can it be done from underneath?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Its not unusual to see some whisps of smoke from where the leads are connected when using jump leads or a battery pack, its normally caused by a poor connection ( ie not a bolted connection) combined with high current draw.
Try connecting your negative jump lead to a good clean metal part of the engine block or gearbox.
DO NOT use the wiper motor bracket as an earth under any circumstances, it looks like the ideal convenient point to use as an earth but it is actually on rubber mounts & earths through a very small wire, using this as an earth will burn out the engine bay wiring harness. Later models have a warning sticker on the bracket.
EDIT: you posted while i was writing a reply, have you tried tapping the starter with a hammer to see if it makes it go?
If its the ford puma engine the starter is fairly easy to replace and is all done from underneath.
Last edited by wheeler on 23 Oct 2020, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
Adamhratcliffe
Mini Cooper S

Post by Adamhratcliffe »

I did try a good earth point but I connecter two leads together croc jaws and earthed on injector pipe but no difference. I should have also tried engine to chassis but didn’t. The engine earth cable does look a bit gummy but bypassing thus with the cables makes me think it’s not ideal but not the cause.

The white smoke appeared to be coming into the battery bay from the little clip hole at the front. Maybe I’m overthinking but I thought it could be smoke directly from the starter overheating somehow?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You got in before me again, i edited my last post.
Adamhratcliffe
Mini Cooper S

Post by Adamhratcliffe »

Yes, sorry I am a keeno...

I think it is the Ford Puma engine. 2.2 HDi Citroen if that helps? I haven't tried tapping the starter motor yet as I have no extra hands.
Adamhratcliffe
Mini Cooper S

Post by Adamhratcliffe »

On closer interrogation I think it may be a 4HH engine? How's this for replacing stater motor? I cannot find a diagram/instructions anywhere.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If its a 2016 model it will be a Ford engine. Same will apply, at the front of the engine & access from underneath.
Adamhratcliffe
Mini Cooper S

Post by Adamhratcliffe »

T
wheeler wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 14:48 If its a 2016 model it will be a Ford engine. Same will apply, at the front of the engine & access from underneath.
That's good news - doable from underneath without removing too much. Is it a case of undo the pipe holding bolt, hold those out the way and go up? Any tips?
Adamhratcliffe
Mini Cooper S

Post by Adamhratcliffe »

Starter replaced last night and still no joy. Now when I turn the key, there is a fast clicking but no cranking.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

In most cases (but not a 100%) a failed starter/solenoid will either give a single click, nothing at all or turn very slowly. Repeated clicking to me suggest there is not enough current at the starter motor hence why i didn’t suggest a failed starter.
You are going to need to volt drop test the starter positive cable & the main earth cables.
Out of curiosity have you tested the starters off the car on a battery?