Mk1 C5 Screen issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Post by mickthemaverick »

While I was replacing the SATNAV ECU I noticed that the black plug on the end is a twin fibre optic connector. Since the car is now almost 20 years old I was wondering if this is one of the first uses of optic fibre in a car and which actual connections they are used for? :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 19:27 While I was replacing the SATNAV ECU I noticed that the black plug on the end is a twin fibre optic connector. Since the car is now almost 20 years old I was wondering if this is one of the first uses of optic fibre in a car and which actual connections they are used for? :)
You may have found this already Mick
Plastic optical fiber (POF) has been used in automotive networking systems since 1998 after successful introduction by Mercedes Benz, spurring the introduction of the Media Oriented Systems Transport (MOST) standard—a reliable and robust network protocol for an optimized multimedia of entertainment and information.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Yes thanks Neil, I saw that but in general all I have turned up is info about the MOST system pioneered by Mercedes in the S Class and taken up by a few manufacturers but no mention of Citroen!! It does seem a shame that so many innovations by Citroen over the years have been missed or ignored by the motoring press in general!! :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes my RT3 Navidrive in my C5 MK II also had a fibre optic signal from the Head Unit to the Display Mick. They later dumped these and switched to the LVDS (Low Voltage Differential Signal) cable.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Yesterday was the first time I have driven the car a decent distance since fitting the replacement ECU and I was hoping to report a successful job! Sadly that is not the case, as I was driving, the sat nav became unavailable, ie greyed out, after 58 miles and the radio stations began to dance around. The steering wheel controls ceased to function and at 72 miles the screen blacked out. So I have contacted the supplier in Romania and requested a refund and we'll see what happens with that. In the meantime I am back on the lookout for a replacement ECU so if anyone considers scrapping a car with a worker please let me know!! :( :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I am pleased to report that ebay has notified me to say a full refund is on the way and should be in my account in 3-5 days. When it arrives I will order the next one I have found and see how that goes!! :)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Just an update, I have now bought, installed and then returned 2 ECU's to Romania and Lithuania and been refunded in full for both. Sadly I still have a non working unit and it is becoming more and more obvious that the car will be heading for the scrappy as it cannot be MOT'd without new tyres on the front and I don't intend to spend that cash without the screen working. There is a 239000 mile complete car available at the moment with a working screen but I have nowhere to keep a spares car so that is no use to me. It looks like I will be going down the Mazda 6 route as I do not like the X7 variant and cannot afford anything newer. If anyone wants to give a C5 Exclusive SE a home, let me know and I will buy the spares car!! :-D
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I'm so sorry to hear that Mick. I know how much you like that car so I'm sure it will be a wrench.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Paul-R wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 17:56 I'm so sorry to hear that Mick. I know how much you like that car so I'm sure it will be a wrench.
It will indeed thanks Paul, I am pretty gutted but I cannot see a sensible alternative so I have to accept the inevitable. Having said that the car had a stay of execution this afternoon when I discovered that the Mazda 6 I was after has been sold!! :o :(
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Mick i have an idea, not logical nor sensible but bear with me...:)

Work out the difference in value between buying the "donor" car and its scrap value.
All you want from it is the working screen and the associated bits and bobs along with maybe a couple of front tyres.
Work out how much you were willing to spend for a working screen, discount your labour as by now you know the short cuts on the in/out job and add in 1 months tax if being totally legit then add in insurance for a day :-$ :wink:
If there is not a lot between the figures i would buy the "donor" if it has MOT, drive it home, strip out the bits you want, drive it to the local vehicle recycling facility and weigh it in.
I am sure a gentleman of your stature can find a way to get it done :)

Colin
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Thanks Colin, that is a good shout!! In fact I will look into the scrap value side of things and get a price tomorrow. I was prepared to pay £150 for the ecu and the car is £495. I'm guessing £200 scrap and maybe all four tyres and I could break even, assuming of course that the ecu will keep working after it warms up but as the cost difference is minimal I shall pursue that in the morning. Plus the car is from a dealer who will do get you home insurance for the day so could be a way out!! :sun: :sun:
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Damn and blast Mick, so early in the year to actually post something that maybe close to useful :)
Looks like my remaining posts for 2021 will be drivel as usual :rofl2:

Colin
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

All arranged, thanks for the idea Colin I definitely owe you a beer if I'm ever allowed out again :-D . The spares car is being delivered tomorrow for £450 to our mancave at 11.00 hours and the scrap chap is collecting it from the same at 16.00 hours. Plenty of time to swap what I need and we've agreed £220. So given that I have already paid out £170 which was refunded for the ecu and so I am prepared to pay out that, it means I can have 4 wheels and tyres and the cd multi changer and head unit and the dvd sat nav drive and the screen as well as the antenna and instrument binnacle, and anything else I have time for for £60. A pretty good deal methinks!! :-D :-D
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
A proper result then Mick :rofl2:
Colin
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

It certainly looks like it. I've just got to hope that the ecu keeps working rather than packing up after 25 miles or so because I doubt the dealer has tested that!! A chance worth taking because I'll have the other parts as compensation if it does fail!! Plus it gives me something to do tomorrow which is incredibly welcome!!! I might even take the camera with me!! :-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 28 Jan 2021, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.