Touchscreen continually rebooting

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

OxonOwl
My Cars: C4 Picasso

Touchscreen continually rebooting

Post by OxonOwl »

Hi

I have 2016 C4 Picasso and recently, not every trip, the touch screen control centre has taken to restarting about every 2-4 minutes.

Is there anything I can do before have to take it to a garage?

Thanks
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Touchscreen continually rebooting

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the forum.

Something that MAY help is if you go for a BSi reset. Sometimes things can 'glitch', and a full system reset can clear 'glitches' (but it won't clear an actual problem). The following link shows you how to do the reset (you can ignore the bits related to suspension; they are there for people who have hydro-pneumatic suspension);

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 51&t=61997
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

OxonOwl wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 10:39 Hi

I have 2016 C4 Picasso and recently, not every trip, the touch screen control centre has taken to restarting about every 2-4 minutes.

Is there anything I can do before have to take it to a garage?

Thanks
It is very likely to do with the unit itself. These systems can restart because of overheating or it can be a corrupt update or an internal problem with the board / components.

Have you tried to update the firmware or any software on it lately?
Have you noticed the volume being limited at all, especially prior to it rebooting.
What was being displayed on the screen before it rebooted? (Navigation / MP3 / Music etc.)

Have you disconnected / changed the car battery lately? If so it is important to respect the timings before doing so in the BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure to ensure the vehicle systems power down and sleep before the battery is disconnected. The Head Units always remain active for some time after the vehicle ignition has been switched off.

There are an extensive list of fault codes for these systems and there are 6 variations of these head units fitted, depending on options. If you have a fault code then do post it up, but if you don't have access to a comprehensive diagnostic tool and it is not resolved by a BSI reset, then it may benefit from a firmware update that you can get the dealer to do for you if taking it there - you may as well get it updated as they are going to charge you for a diagnostic anyway and it shouldn't take that much longer to do if one is available.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
OxonOwl

Post by OxonOwl »

Thanks for the welcome and your replies.

I will try a reset.

Have you tried to update the firmware or any software on it lately?
No

Have you noticed the volume being limited at all, especially prior to it rebooting.
No. If the radio or music is on it stutters slightly before restarting.
The volume is turned down when it restarts

What was being displayed on the screen before it rebooted? (Navigation / MP3 / Music etc.)
It seems like it can be anything.

Have you disconnected / changed the car battery lately?
No
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so a sign of overheating is volume reduction to reduce the heat from the internal amplifier which is the reason I asked.

If it does it less when the temperature is colder then that may be the reason.

If not then you may have a failing internal Storage / chip.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Also, I would check that the firmware is updated. This can fix issues that they become aware of over time. I'm not sure exactly what system you have - SMEGXX or the Connected NAV system, but if unsure the dealer can always advise of the latest update from your VIN.

If you have the Connected Nav, it will use the Tom Tom system and you should have free map updates for life. When you log in to the connected NAV site or supply your VIN, it should list all the latest Map updates and any Firmware needed / available.

Marc
OxonOwl

Post by OxonOwl »

Thanks

I don't have the NAV system. That's all I know
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

There are many posts on the c4owners.org forum, under Pic (B78) problems, a couple of recent threads with people reporting the same reboot issue, all with 2016 cars. All started this month which leads to 'so what's changed' discussions. It did get a bit cold, which might lead older batteries to struggle a bit but that seems unlikely as rebooting happens with the engine running.

Speculation includes changes to DAB, more transmitters are getting DAB+ rollout, Some report that using FM radio instead of DAB provides relief. Others wonder of the NHS Covid app, which 'polls' nearby bluetooth devices every few minutes and which was available from late September might be a part of it, one said he removed the app and all was fine. Others have fixed with a firmware upgrade. The same issue is popping up on cactus forum and various Peugeot ones.

For Picassos 2016 marked a big upgrade. Early 2016 (likely late 2015 actual build) badged VTR, Exclusive and variants had the older SMEG unit, Later facelifted 2016 badged Touch - Feel - Flair had a wholly different Connected Nav unit. They look very similar externally. It seems like the issues are with SMEG but some posters are imprecise.

The simplest and free thing you could do for now is try it on FM not DAB, and try it with your phone disconnected. Sadly no definitive answer.

(In a box in my garage I have the old manual tune LW/MW radio from my '67 Hillman Hunter, a car with levers which pulled wires to adjust the heating and a wholly mechanical speedometer. If you mentioned firmware in polite company they would have looked blank or embarrassed. Those simple happy days ....)
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I also forgot to mention Bluetooth.

Sometimes as smart phone software (IOS / Android) is updated far more frequently than the Head Unit firmware in your vehicle, there can be changes and updates to the Bluetooth profiles. These can sometimes have a negative effect on these touch screen units - until PSA release a later firmware for the infotainment system.

Deleting the Bluetooth phone from the head unit (not just unpairing it - but removing the phone completely) will also delete the cache associated with the phone. Then remove the paring connection on your smart phone.

Restart the Head unit and see if this stops the restarting. If it does - you know that's your issue.

You can try adding the phone again from new and see if that solves the issue - if not repeat and wait until a later firmware comes out for the head unit that includes Bluetooth compatibility updates.

Marc
TooBee
My Cars: DS3 65 plate. special edition. Great car.

Post by TooBee »

I also have very recently had headset on my DS3 switching off and re-booting. Out of interest are you listening to DAB radio stations when this happens. Sounds stupid i know, but i usually listen to bbc6 music for a number of months and then recently this problem started. A colleague said it was due to radio data broadcast with signal. He said try another station and problem will not happen. I went to Absolute radio, and no recurrence of fault. Would be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

TooBee wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 17:51Would be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this.
See my post here viewtopic.php?t=66644 fourth down.

I have read that it is to do with the BBC issuing new logos for the national channels (September 30th or thereabouts) so, theoretically, the local BBC stations shouldn't cause a problem. I'd still go to FM though. And then look at updating the Head Unit firmware as a long term solution.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Mobi2208
My Cars: Citroen C4 2016 model

Post by Mobi2208 »

Hi
I had this issue as well, it began last year when the dab went off , Fm worked fine. Then early this year the entire system ,kept rebooting . When my phone was connected for music it hopped the track then whole lot went off.
I took it to the main dealer in Chippenham and they adjusted some settings, but it continued.
After having read through this forum it appears it’s the 2016 model that is having this issue .
I contacted customer services and they were very considerate and helpful.
I asked them had they had any complaints and they said no , they were not aware there was an issue.
Anyway long story short, they paid for me to have a new unit installed complete with labor which I was very grateful for as a whole lot of things all seemed to go at once , ( links, shock absorbers, cooling fan and door handle sensor ) this car has done 27500 miles just out of interest)
They replaced the unit last Thursday 4/11/2021
Driving home all was well , it took 45 mins and it appeared the new unit was functioning as it should , I was well pleased.
Then Friday I drove for 10 mins and it went off twice, I thought it was probably just a blip.
But today I went out to a place where I needed navigation , it rebooted 5 times there and 12 times coming back , each time the sat nav need reprogramming , everything went off.
I’ll be contacting the dealer tomorrow and also customer services .
Something is very definitely amiss with this particular years system .I suggest everyone who is experiencing this problem to let them know .
They were unable to put in an upgraded model due to the design .
So this is a brand new one which is failing too.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Those were the last of these types of head unit (SMEG), before they moved on to the full Connected systems (NAC / RCC). Did they change the Head unit behind the centre console or the screen too?

Marc
Mobi2208
My Cars: Citroen C4 2016 model

Post by Mobi2208 »

I have no idea Marc,When I call them tomorrow I will ask , thanks
As far as I know the whole unit was changed As there was a plastic screen on the touch screen .