Nice places to stop off at.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Re: Nice places to stop off at.....

Post by admiral51 »

This will probably go wrong but................
DSC_0656.JPG
Own work
Tried very hard but phone camera is not that good but if you draw a virtual line across the top of the photo and get to 50% across and then use a virtual plumb line the photo below is what you can nearly see between the dips in the hills.( it does take a clear day TBH )
The photo itself was taken today and shows the view across Poole Harbour, it shows Brownsea Island, Round and Long Island but it also shows Wytch Farm, forget who owns it now but i think it is still the largest on land oil extraction site in the UK.
Mick's new November Stroll prompted me to think about the view, particularly of the Castle, up close you get a feeling of why it was built, when you look from afar it gives a different perspective of what it could see :)
Pic of the Castle taken from internet and cannot seem to add a tag to it to say it is not own work.

Oh and yes Wytch Farm oil extraction/production facility is in clear view, but i think it is a testament to the company/people that own/operate it that you cannot see it =D>

Colin
Attachments
CC1.jpg
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Just realised i missed the important bit, the location :(
They have a small but very nice and friendly takeaway, there are council owned toilets on site and you parking is free, but not for long, think it is a couple of hours but TBH never seen a parking meter, bet that will change lol
Location is Constitution Hill Viewpoint you will need to google it my laptop is playing up, and they have better pics than mine

adding another pic that shows the view across Sandbanks and our version of the needles OHR lol
DSC_0658 (2).JPG
Own Work
Colin
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Good stuff Colin. Thats what the thread is all about. If you know of somewhere that you enjoy share it with others.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Never been myself, but came across this while on the Triva Investigation Team thread
Avoncroft Museum of Histric Buildings-Worcestershire
https://avoncroft.org.uk/
https://avoncroft.org.uk/
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Where am I today?
A fine dining coach...
A fine dining coach...
Well worh a visit 😎

There is a clue in my blog 😉
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 08:18 There is a clue in my blog 😉
There's also a "Who wrote Handel's Messiah :?: " moment on the image itself Jim :-D

East Somerset Railway Cranmore Station would be my guess :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 08:35
CitroJim wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 08:18 There is a clue in my blog 😉
There's also a "Who wrote Handel's Messiah :?: " moment on the image itself Jim :-D

East Somerset Railway Cranmore Station would be my guess :-D

Regards Neil
:rofl2: "Guess" my foot!!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, you're right 😃
Cranmore Station...
Cranmore Station...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

If Railway Telegraph Insulators float your boat Jim/Mick or anyone else, have a look at The FCF Trivia Investigation Team thread Case number 3 :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 09:00 If Railway Telegraph Insulators float your boat Jim/Mick or anyone else, have a look at The FCF Trivia Investigation Team thread Case number 3 :-D

Regards Neil
I saw that 👍😃 They most definitely do 😎

Gutta percha is a wonderful substance...
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Are you sure its not the name of pigeon settlements? :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 09:25 Are you sure its not the name of pigeon settlements? :-D
🤣🤣 You're thinking of Guano 😉

On the subject of names, back in those halcyon days pre-Beeching when Cranmore was a fairly busy BR station and goods yard the old railwaymem used to call Cranmore 'Siberia' on account of the cold winds that blew along the valley the rail line is built along... With the Mendips on one side of the valley, a very effective cold funnel is formed. I've felt it down here in the winter 🥶 The railway through MK sufferes in the same way. It's always bleedin' freezing on the station platforms even in the height of summer 😡
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I know where you are coming from there Jim, when my office was in Euston and my labs were in Farringdon and Ebury Bridge Road, I regularly experienced the railway freeze syndrome on Farringdon station! :)
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 17:43 Alnmouth, The Old Schoolhouse Gallery and coffee shop, and now pizza from a Peugeot J7Image is a nice place to stop off at. I dont think many travellers up and down the A1 will though. Its about a 8 mile detour there and back from the A1 down to a beautiful spot on the coast, but most travellers will just either plough on to an anonymous motorway services, or grab a supermarket picnic. For the smell the flowers traveller, a nice detour.
Regards Neil
Had a poke around the J7 today,
Whats behind the nice face....?
Whats behind the nice face....?
Engine's missing!<br />Cheaper to trailer around than having to fix stuff I guess
Engine's missing!
Cheaper to trailer around than having to fix stuff I guess
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Not really a place to stop off at unless you want to walk around and take in the timewarp charm of the place...

But it is a most pretty village and one I love cycling through because of it's total charm...

It's not far from the conurbation of Milton Keynes, is quite well hidden and very unspoilt...

Not many villages like it now around here... I reckon the last time a house was built in the village was in the 1940s!

Today, on my bike ride this house caught my eye... I'm not sure if once upon a time it was the village shop...
Milk and two sugars please...
Milk and two sugars please...
And a general view of the village in all its splendid bucolicness...
Peace and tranquillity...
Peace and tranquillity...
Annoyingly, that while van eyesore appeared just a minute before I got my camera out :evil:

So where was I?

A couple of clues... It's not far from the Northants border and was once the location of a now long-gone railway junction...

For bonus points identify the railways :)
Jim