Citroen C2 (2008, 1.1, Petrol) - Cutting out @ lights, stops etc.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aidyg123
My Cars: Citroen C2 (2008, 1.1, Petrol)

Citroen C2 (2008, 1.1, Petrol) - Cutting out @ lights, stops etc.

Post by aidyg123 »

Hi all,

My girlfriend has a 2008, 1.1, Petrol, C2. She has had it since last feb, and had an issue with the engine stalling / cutting out when slowing down and coming to lights etc. It is an intermittent issue so is hard to simulate to show mechanics for a fix. When the car stalls, it isn't obvious the car has stalled until you try pulling away. The car starts first time every time however.

Things I've personally done on the car to try resolve the issue;

- Removed and cleaned the throttle body assembly.
- Remove the MAP sensors and cleaned it (haven't actually tested it as such).
- Checked the obvious fluid levels (oil, coolant etc).

I've plugged my OBDII in and it comes up with P0599 - Thermostat Heater Control Circuit High. I'm assuming i'll have to replace the thermostat assembly?

Not sure whether this is relevant, but when initially starting the car up it idles at just over 1000rpm. If I tap (very gently) the accelerator pedal repeatedly, after each tap the revs will drop and drop until the car completely cuts out.

Any pointers for things to try would be really great.

Many thanks,
Aidy
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Citroen C2 (2008, 1.1, Petrol) - Cutting out @ lights, stops etc.

Post by wheeler »

Is it a motorised throttle body or a normal cable operated one? If its a cable operated on then the symptoms you describe is classic of a sticky idle stepper motor. Normally removing & properly cleaning the stepper plunger and the housing it sits in solves it.
aidyg123

Post by aidyg123 »

Hi Wheeler,

It’s a motorised one!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Is it a plastic or metal throttle body/butterfly?
I take it the butterfly moves freely with no stiff spots (particularly where it rests)? Plastic ones can distort & cause stiff points, really common on old BMW’s.
It may be worth doing a full ECU reset by disconnecting the battery (do a search for the correct procedure) then reset the throttle body. This varys depending on what injection system is fitted but in most cases diagnostic equipment is not needed, on the mk1 C2/C3 you just switched the ignition on then held the pedal to the floor for 15 seconds, released then switched the ignition off.
aidyg123

Post by aidyg123 »

It’s a metal throttle body, I took it out and gave it a really good clean. It actuates well with no sticky spots.

I’ll try the full ECU reset and see how that works.

It’s so strange. It’s the only thing that’s wrong with the car so getting this somehow fixed would be awesome!!
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Agree with Wheeler re sticky throttle body/stepper motor, especially with the dodgy starting, sounds most likely.

Other things I'd suspect:

- coil pack

- clutch pedal switch (I've had the same issue on a different car caused by duff clutch pedal switch, which I presume was used by the fuel injection system to detect cessation of overrun and the need to fuel again)

First I'd probably give the engine a good service, i.e. engine oil and filter and fuel filter and spark plugs, and give the inlet tract a good clean if needed.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
biz1445
New User
My Cars: Citroen C2 2008

Post by biz1445 »

Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this issue?

I recently bought a 2008 Citroen C2 1.1 Petrol and am experiencing the exact same thing, so would be great to know if you manage to resolve it.

Many thanks
dipz_73
New User
My Cars: CitroenModelC2Year2007Engine1.1FuelPetrol

Post by dipz_73 »

I have the exact same issue i thought it was me as ive just recently passed my driving test and i thought i was taking my foot of clutch to quick etc it just cuts out when coming to a stop or im stopped i have a Citroen C2Year2007 Engine1.1Fuel Petrol