Mk1 C5 Screen issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

These are getting as rare as hen's teeth now Mick
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 21115
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 8110

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

So it would seem Marc, I guess the main problem is that not too many of the MK1's had the system fitted anyway and with its propensity for overheating very few are left I'm guessing. I'll just have to keep looking on the basis that surely mine can't be the very last one working? The really frustrating thing for me is that I scrapped my last MK1 Exclusive SE with a fully functioning screen but the turbo blew and the exhaust manifold cracked so it wasn't worth saving. I kept the ECU's I knew about but sadly I was unaware of this one secreted away and it went to the scrappy in the car!! I had the screen and the head unit of course and some other parts, all of which are still buried in the man cave!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

I suspect this particular ECU is not just for the screen, but also the navigation unit itself - in the days before the ECUs were integrated into the head unit and ditto with the screens, which on later systems are also integrated.

The cheapest one I've seen is £153.68 inc. postage from Lithuania:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-K ... SwIvRfdNLn
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 21115
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 8110

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

Thanks for that Marc, it didn't come up on my ebay search. I have messaged the seller re condition etc and go from there!! fingers crossed :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 21115
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 8110

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

Well after getting a commitment to refund if it fails within one month, I have done the deal and the ECU is on its way!! I was going to celebrate mending the original so now I'll celebrate getting the replacement and hope it works ok. Thanks again Marc have a beer on me!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries, I just hope it works Mick!
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 21115
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 8110

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

Well there was I minding my own business waiting for a friend to get in the car and lo there was light!!! The screen lit up showing 3rd Feb 2000 01.15 and flashing. I quickly ran through the set up and checked trip computer and sat nav displays. All correct. I didn't think to check the cd multi function or the steering wheel controls but I am more convinced than ever that the issue is with the ecu not the screen so I'll be interested to see what happens on the way home from Elstree!! If the screen lights I'll check those other functions before it dies again!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

Well done - temperamental aren't they Mick!
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 21115
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 8110

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

Aren't they just!! I think it got frightened again because I've paid for a replacement!! I can report it worked perfectly all the way home as did the other functions which I did not check earlier!!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
aspire_helen
Posts: 221
Joined: 08 Sep 2020, 22:12
x 80

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by aspire_helen »

Marc
What is it that you call the "Head Unit"?
H
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 21115
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 8110

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

The head unit is the bit we used to call the car radio, but since incorporating remote cd players and MP4 players the controlling bit has become the head unit. :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
admiral51
(Donor 2026)
Posts: 2681
Joined: 24 May 2007, 10:11
x 391

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by admiral51 »

Mick as well you know, threaten something with being replaced it will only work as intended once you have splashed the cash. Once the new part arrives and you send it back as the current one is behaving it will throw a wobbly and stop working again lol
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 21115
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 8110

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

I'll outsmart it there Colin, as I did with the head unit. You just put the spare in the boot and the threat of surgery keeps it working!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

aspire_helen wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 18:51 Marc
What is it that you call the "Head Unit"?
H
Yes, I commonly refer to the Radio as the 'Head Unit' unit. Most have an ECU inside the Head Unit, and also the Multifunction screen has an ECU inside it too.

On Mick's system, it was one of the earliest Sat Nav Units and is slightly different. The ECU for the Colour Multifunction Screen is also the Navigation ECU by all accounts and this remains a separate unit.

But to go back to your question, they are referred to as Head Units, as they are not simply the radio and would not be correct to call them that. They also interface with the vehicle's systems to provide a way for the driver to configure of some of the vehicle's options and functions (depending on system fitted and options of course). This is another reason why people run into trouble when they want to replace the stereo and in so doing render some of the vehicle's features inoperable.
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 21115
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 8110

Re: Mk1 C5 Screen issues

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

Well the replacement ECU was waiting for me when I got home yesterday and I have just finished installing it in the car. As I am isolating I can't take it for a test run but it booted straight up and I set all the parameters to my liking and it looks good, so fingers crossed! I have left it loose in the compartment for the moment until it has had a good run so hopefully the South Coast Saunter will do that!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!