207 Gti - Not Starting

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NotoriousLor
My Cars: 207 Gti
Ex:Clio 182, 306 Gti-6, Saab 9000 Carlsson

207 Gti - Not Starting

Post by NotoriousLor »

Hi, just joined the forum as I’ve just purchased a 207 gti with a few issues, it had been sitting on the previous owners drive for around a year, I believe it had had the usual depollution faults. He had been clearing the faults which had been ‘fixing’ the car for a time but they always returned.

He had left it for around a year and the battery had drained so he tried to jump start it from his other car, it didn’t work and now it doesn’t even turn over when I turn the key.
I’m still getting the depollution fault, an adaptive light warning and an emission fault but the car doesn’t turn over when I try to start it, it kind of clicks once and that’s it.

I’ve just had the ecu read as reading other posts I thought maybe it had been fried but I’ve just had an email saying the ecu tested as fine.
I have had Peugeot planet connected to it and everything else works as it should but it won’t connect to the engine ecu at all?
Thats why I thought maybe the ecu had been fried.
Does anyone have any ideas what my next thing is I can try?
I have just this minute tried to start it while being towed, this also didn’t work, engine didn’t turn over at all.
This car is very clean with only 42000 miles on it, it would be a shame to scrap it.
Thanks
Stuart
NotoriousLor
My Cars: 207 Gti
Ex:Clio 182, 306 Gti-6, Saab 9000 Carlsson

Re: 207 Gti - Not Starting

Post by NotoriousLor »

I’ve just had another go on Peugeot planet, it looks like my engine ecu is locked, it’s not talking to planet at all and when I looked into the BSI side of it it’s saying the engine ecu is locked?
Is there anything I can do to unlock it myself or is this going to be stealers job?
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: 207 Gti - Not Starting

Post by wheeler »

A locked engine ECU should not stop communication with diagnostics.
Just going back to the tow starting, sorry if this is a daft question but are you doing it correctly?
So many people don’t know how to tow/bump start a car & actually try to turn the key to the start position while they are being towed. Im not sure if this is what you are doing as you say the engine won’t even turn when tow starting? If the engine didn’t turn when tow starting the wheels would lock on the car when you let the clutch up. You should turn the ignition on just before you start the tow then you dont touch the key again.
The only exception to this that i know of is some modern Ford models where you need to hold the key in the crank position as you let the clutch up or it wont start.
Sorry if im teaching you to suck eggs but your description above sounds like this is what you are doing?
Does the starter operate if you give the solenoid power straight from the battery?