Dpf issue

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeytherAJ
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 1.6 Hdi

Dpf issue

Post by LeytherAJ »

I have a peugeot 3008 and am having a load of issues with the dpf. In the last 6 months i have changed the injectors and seals, the maf sensor, handbrake switch and then the dreaded dpf light came on and wouldn't clear causing the asr light to come on. I have replaced the dpf filter for a new one and checked that the pressure pripes are clear, still the light comes on saying potential clogging. i have ordered the pressure sensor in hopes that is faulty. Has anyone come across this issue before and can guide me.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Dpf issue

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There are a number of things it could be, but you need to arrange a diagnostics session first. Until you know WHAT the actual fault is you will be guessing, and possibly wasting money. Don't use a generic code reader, as it probably won't give you clear information (the PSA group uses proprietary codes that generic readers struggle with). You will need a DiagBox system to get full information. Some forum members have such a system, and may be able to help you.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=56452
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

LeytherAJ wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 18:00 I have a peugeot 3008 and am having a load of issues with the dpf. In the last 6 months i have changed the injectors and seals, the maf sensor, handbrake switch and then the dreaded dpf light came on and wouldn't clear causing the asr light to come on. I have replaced the dpf filter for a new one and checked that the pressure pripes are clear, still the light comes on saying potential clogging. i have ordered the pressure sensor in hopes that is faulty. Has anyone come across this issue before and can guide me.
When you replaced the DPF, did you use Diagx to inform the engine ECU that you have replaced the filter?

Also when in Diagbox, you should be able to list any other fault codes there are (post them here) and also to see the live data that shows the pressure readings. That might help. You should also top up the diesel additive fluid and set the additive counter to zero.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
LeytherAJ

Post by LeytherAJ »

i havent informed the ecu ive changed it i just thought it would know, i have a foxwell diagnostic reader can this be done on that or will i need to get someone to do it
LeytherAJ

Post by LeytherAJ »

thanks for the comments hell razor, i have used the foxwell reader that just show accumulation of ash and thats seems to be what triggers the other lights. i use the obd reader part and the generic
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

PSA vehicles ideally need Diagbox software with a VCI clone (often referred to as a Lexia Diagnostics Kit). The DPF itself is not electronic and contains no electronics, so there is no way for the engine ECU to know you have replaced it. There are of course pressure differential sensors - and these just measure upstream and downstream pressure to indicate clogged status. But as each regeneration occurs, these readings will rise before and the fall after regeneration.

You do need to tell it that the filter has been replaced, as the particle filters have a finite life and the ECU knows this based on rough mileage. With the diesel additive, the system does not physically measure the remaining content - it is just estimated from the original amount it was filled with, against amount injected into the fuel tank after fuel has been added. So again, when this is topped up (usually a good idea to do when replacing the DPF - the ECU knows that there has been no additive injected into the fuel tank and also that there has been no Cerine dumped into the particle filter (the unburnt part of the additive that always remains in the filter - which eventually causes the clogging).

So yes, very important to inform the ECU of both these operations. I don't know your diagnostic kit, so can't comment on its features technical abilities I'm afraid. If you get stuck and cannot find anyone near you on our list of diagnostic kit owners (link below), then a Peugeot dealer will be able to do this for you and will charge you diagnostic time to do.

viewtopic.php?t=56452

Marc
LeytherAJ

Post by LeytherAJ »

so the saga continues, i've now let the ecu know that i've replaced the dpf yet the light still comes on, I've got a pressure sensor that i will try next and see where i go from here. All i want is the light gone so i can get rid of this piece of junk.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Without providing us with any diagnostic fault codes we can only provide advice on what you've told us so far. Having replaced the DPF without informing the ECU - completing this operation successfully is one less issue to deal with. There can be many other reasons for the warning light to be on, so if you have a diagnostic tool. run a complete diagnostic test and advise us of the fault codes.

If you are not getting any fault codes, then your diagnostic tool is likely not capable of communicating fully with all the vehicle's ECUs. A warning light (ASR) is an ESP related problem anyway and not an emissions related fault. Aftermarket diagnostic tools are notoriously bad at communicating with the ABS / ESP ECUs specifically.

An ASR (ESP) related fault that is generating a warning on the dash will have generated a diagnostic fault code logged int he ECU for sure. If you can provide the fault codes, I can probably give you some more pointers.

Marc
LeytherAJ

Post by LeytherAJ »

Hi Marc, what readings would you need to help me better specifically. i have taken a few screen shots of live data today to put on and see if you guys can help. i have replaced the pressure sensor since i last posted and have informed ecu of all changes but still having issues. your help on this is greatly appreciated
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you have a diagnostic tool, run a global test or equivalent and list here any fault codes being returned. If you are getting a warning lamp on in the instrument panel, but you are not getting any fault codes from your code reader, then I'm assuming you are not using a Lexia / Peugeot Planet 2000 / Diagbox, and are using a third party diagnostic?

Marc
LeytherAJ

Post by LeytherAJ »

the code i come up with id
P242F 07E8 DPF RESTRICTION ASH ACCUMULATION
this is the only code that appears.

thanks
Jon
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so my thinking here is as follows - you'll have to correct me where necessary:

We know that at the time of replacing the DPF you didn't inform the engine ECU if the change. How long after changing the DPF was it before the warning light came on?

Do you know for sure that there is sufficient DPF additive in the tank?

I'm wondering that if the ECU thinks the additive is low, it may have disabled the additive function, which would of soon prevented assisted regeneration from taking place once the existing additive in the tank when mixed with additional fuel became weakened through lack of further additive being injected.

It would then not take long for the new filter to become clogged again. Once the filter gets to anything over 70%, regeneration may be impossible, necessitating removal and cleaning.

One thing we know is that regeneration has been stopped for some reason. If none of the above are the culprits, then it may be that the particle pressure sensor (s) as per the likely suspects in the table below, which may be giving false information to the ECU and this could be preventing the regeneration from taking place. In either case I suspect that the filter is rapidly filling, if it has not already become full, so I would strongly recommend not running the engine until the issue is resolved to avoid the filter coming off again.

Have a look at the fault code descriptors below:
Fault Code: P242F

Description of Fault:Particle filter detected clogged.
  • Possibility 1
    For a volume flow passing through the particle filter of 300000 l/h, the differential pressure is greater than 360 mbar for 3 s
  • Possibility 2
    For a volume flow passing through the particle filter of 800000 l/h, the differential pressure is greater than 620 mbar for 3 s
  • Possibility 3
    For a volume flow passing through the particle filter of 1200000 l/h, the differential pressure is greater than 740 mbar for 3 s
Conditions for Activation of the Fault: The following conditions have to be met:
  • Flow volume traversing the particle filter greater than 160000 l/h
  • Engine running without regeneration of the particle emission filter for 5 min
Conditions for Fault to clear: Driving for 5 minutes

Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Closing of the EGR (exhaust gas recycling) valve
  • Irreversible deactivation of the vehicle speed limiter
  • Irreversible deactivation of the vehicle cruise control
  • Switching to fuel "normal reduced flow" mode
  • Switching of the turbocharging pressure regulation to controlled mode
  • Deactivation of the request for regeneration of the particle filter from the diagnostic tool
  • Deactivation of taking account of the tight spot information
  • Sending of the information "torque uncertain" on the CAN network
  • Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning message
Symptoms:
  • Jerking/stalling
  • Starting problem
  • Lack of power
  • Absence of automatic stopping of the internal combustion engine (Vehicle equipped with "stop and start")

Suspect Areas:
  • Particle emission filter clogged or over-loaded
  • Tappings for the differential pressure sensor of the particle emission filter
I don't know the capabilities of your Foxwell reader, but I know some models can provide live data. If yours does, then take a look at the engine ECU and see what the upstream / downstream pressure readings are showing and what the state of the regeneration is / when the last regeneration took place etc. These may give us a clue as to the current status.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

One other thing - whilst I was checking your fault codes from your VIN - I noticed there is an outstanding aftersales campaign being flagged up on your vehicle!

Customers are usually informed during routine servicing, but if you don't use a PSA garage, then they won't be aware and so can't inform you. This usually happens when customers tend to do their own servicing or use an independent garage for servicing.

So I recommend you contact your dealer ASAP and advise them that you are aware of a an after sales campaign outstanding. They'll ask for your VIN and will confirm what the work actually involves.

From past experience with other members here with the DV6C engine, this may be relating to injectors / timing, so don't hang about.

Any work will be free of charge.

Marc