DS5 Auto Box

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zipdip

DS5 Auto Box

Post by zipdip »

Ok Guys
I f you are running a DS5 with the auto box like I am then it is very important that you change the ATF oil in that box.
This box is supposed to be sealed for life,that is crazy,now this box is a great idea and it does work very well,but it has been designed
to fit exactly where the manual box sits ,of course the reason is economics,it makes life a whole lot easier for any car manufacturer
that it sits in the same space ,and this box is fitted to a lot of cars.
My car has 56 grand on the clock I decided to change the oil,because this is a small auto box it gets hot when in use and of course
will get cold when not in use and of course in the winter,no ATF oil will stay in top form given that happens.
My local mechanic Rob doubted it would need changing,but hey I pay him bring it on,I bought the oil,and he came and picked the car up
he returned it when he had finished for the day,he said for one moment I thought I had made a mistake and taken the engine sump plug out
that ATF was like diesel sump oil it was black.
I feel relieved it is done but angry that the makers/car companies think that this oil should not need to be changed,if you decide to get the oil
changed be aware that the early cars up to 12 reg need it seems different oil to later cars mine is a 13 reg.
Rob said it was easy to change,the air box between the battery and the engine is moved or removed to get to the filler plug and once you take the
plastic cover off underneath the car the plug to drain the oil is again easy to get to,the box takes 4 litres of oil.I suppose you could do it on the driveway,but
would need to get the car up a way and level,it also helps to get the oil hot by running the car for say 20 miles so that it drains easy.
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DS5 Auto Box

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There's already a thread on this:

How to change it yourself here:
viewtopic.php?p=637965#p637965

and further details here:
viewtopic.php?t=58134&start=30

Be careful with the year - you should always check via the VIN as to the version of the AM6 gearbox fitted (Euro standard) as to the correct oil to use. You must not use JWS 3309 in a Euro 5 vehicle / AM6 gearbox. We always use the VIN to check because some vehicles could of been late-registered.

Also, be aware you can only change 3 litres of oil at a time! There are 7 litres in the box and 4 litres always remain inside the torque converter. So to do as near a complete oil change, you need to do a few changes in between running the car to get some of the older oil circulating again before the next change. It can take about 3 changes to do....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

Well I did buy the right ATF the early DS5 use the JWS 3309 and the later ones use JWC 3324,my car takes the 3324,I will get to my nearest Citroen dealership,the nearest one is not a main dealer at Great Holland near Clacton on Sea,I would rather find a indy somewhere local with a code reader,to see if the box needs any help sorting itself out,I seem to have lost the kick up the backside when you put it in drive are a short drive,but then it has vanished before,today stuck in a traffic jam on the A12 I found that the brakes seem to stick on for a fraction of a second which made for a small jerk,given I was stuck in the jam for about 30 mins,I found that if I put my foot on the brake but then lifted it very slightly but with the car still at a stop when I could go and i lifted my foot off the brake there was no jerk ,of course the brakes were hot after a long drive when I got into this stop start traffic but something is not right but I can live with it,I need to get the box on the code reader first.
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Remember you will need to reset the oil counter after changing the gearbox oil. This is essential and a code reader cannot do that. Ideally somebody with Diagbox or a decent diagnostic kit.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

Ok Marc I will see my mechanic I know he has a Snap on diagnostic box ,if he cannot reset the oil I will get the citroen garage to do it while looking at the gearbox settings.
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+