Pug 207

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Pug 207

Post by mickthemaverick »

I wouldn't go as far as probable but it certainly is possible. It could also be poor connections on cam position sensor or even dicky sensor. As for the ambient temperature issue could be dirty sensor, poor wiring connection or iffy ECU connecting plug. I don't know much about the Peugeot set up but is the sensor on the passenger wing mirror or behind the grill? :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

mickthemaverick wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 21:23 I wouldn't go as far as probable but it certainly is possible. It could also be poor connections on cam position sensor or even dicky sensor. As for the ambient temperature issue could be dirty sensor, poor wiring connection or iffy ECU connecting plug. I don't know much about the Peugeot set up but is the sensor on the passenger wing mirror or behind the grill? :)
All good questions I don't know the answer to haha..

It would seem to be a bit of a coincidence for several sensors to fail at the same time though
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Indeed it would, however the connections to those sensors may all be going through the same multiplug which could be where the problem lies. Worth checking the main fusebox and ecu multiplugs for corrosion and dampness in the abscence of more knowledgeable guidance from the PUG contingent! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Is the oil level correct? Is it running ok? Any unusual engine noises particularly on start up?
The BMW engine is not unknown for timing chain issues & fault codes relating to cam sensor/position/dephasing can be a warning sign that the chain or tensioner is getting slack or worn.
Make sure the oil level is good first as low oil level can also cause issues with timing chain tensioners & dephasers.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

CitroJim wrote: 18 Feb 2016, 09:41
You'll find swapping those filters is a mucky and messy job :twisted:
Just been reading through the original posts & noticed this.
Yes its a messy job but don't know if you are aware but may cars that use this setup with upward facing filters actually have a tiny drain plug on the filter housing to pre drain it before removing the filter, makes it way less messy. TU engines had them at the bottom of the filter cup, a little 3 or 4mm allen screw with a copper seal from memory.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wheeler wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 10:19 TU engines had them at the bottom of the filter cup, a little 3 or 4mm allen screw with a copper seal from memory.
Cor! never knew that :D Every day's a school day!

Thanks Wheeler :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

wheeler wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 09:53 Is the oil level correct? Is it running ok? Any unusual engine noises particularly on start up?
The BMW engine is not unknown for timing chain issues & fault codes relating to cam sensor/position/dephasing can be a warning sign that the chain or tensioner is getting slack or worn.
Make sure the oil level is good first as low oil level can also cause issues with timing chain tensioners & dephasers.
That is interesting as she habitually runs it until the "check oil level" message comes up on the dash, not such a problem when she lived close as I would top it up for her, however now she lives in Norwich that doesn't happen. She recently came down to see us (socially distanced in the garden) and the message was showing, I expect she hadn't checked it since she moved up a year ago and pretty sure she drove down knowing it was low although she wouldn't admit this!
Last time I went in it was running fine with no noises, it also goes much quicker than it has any right to. I'll ask her if that has changed.
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

wheeler wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 10:19
CitroJim wrote: 18 Feb 2016, 09:41
You'll find swapping those filters is a mucky and messy job :twisted:
Just been reading through the original posts & noticed this.
Yes its a messy job but don't know if you are aware but may cars that use this setup with upward facing filters actually have a tiny drain plug on the filter housing to pre drain it before removing the filter, makes it way less messy. TU engines had them at the bottom of the filter cup, a little 3 or 4mm allen screw with a copper seal from memory.
I've done it a few times now and it isn't that messy at all and I think I read somewhere (BOL maybe?) that it has some sort of valve that stops it running out as the filter is removed, if that's the case it works well.