I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: I-Spy Classic Cars-What have you spotted?

Post by Peter.N. »

I owned a Merc briefly a year or so ago, grossly overrated, hard ride and noisy, doesn't come near the C5. I did like the diesel engine though, would climb up a wall.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 19:29 So the challenge is to create something interesting directly relating to Jim's Mercedes post :-D
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 20:59 The car is a Blue Mercedes (R107) 450SL Auto 1973 (November) reg WHJ498M 4520cc

Well the most interest I have turned up is the discovery of Slades Garage....I like an old garage when I put in "R107 Buckinghamshire into the search engine out popped...

Maybe Jim knows it SLades Garage, Church Road, Penn, Buckinghamshire, HP10 8LY (Second thoughts maybe not its down near High Wycombe-canny bike ride from Paggers!)
..and furthur to the charming Slades Garage (Est 1922) its interesting frontage and classic cars a further nice little story centres on a Sunbeam Super Sport (1926) YP 7363 and a Mr Herbert Druce a long time employee of Slades Garage. The car in the story features on Oldclassiccar here https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/sunbeam-3litre.htm
Spoiler: show
Full Story here here
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 19:46 To be fair to the Merc driver, they did give Jim a properly wide berth :)

I find the vast majority of classic car drivers do, whatever they drive... Drivers of modern Mercs on the other hand :twisted:
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 09:22 Maybe Jim knows it SLades Garage, Church Road, Penn, Buckinghamshire, HP10 8LY (Second thoughts maybe not its down near High Wycombe-canny bike ride from Paggers!)
That's down the other end of what is ba long, thin county and I can honestly say that in 43 years of living in North Bucks the number of times I've been to the deep south of Bucks can be counted on the thumbs of one hand :lol:

Not even sure where Penn is :lol:

I know that's shocking but I've really travelled very little in the UK. Only a 20 mile or so radius of MK and a smaller part of Somerset do I know well :roll:

I'm really not one of life's great travellers and much more a homebird...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

I enjoyed my little random tangent from the stimulus of your Mecedes spot Jim, so keep the pictures coming of your car spots, from your North Bucks territory :-D ( and no doubt a small bit of Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire! on occasions!)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 18:35 I enjoyed my little random tangent from the stimulus of your Mecedes spot Jim, so keep the pictures coming of your car spots, from your North Bucks territory :-D ( and no doubt a small bit of Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire! on occasions!)

Regards Neil
Neil, I certainly will... Camera is always on but so often, like on today's ride there was absolutely nothing of interest to be seen on the roads :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

The camera was hovering the other day over a 51 reg green-ey Peugeot (sort of astra sized), from Brent Cross. Very nice condition and to be honest worthy of a little photo. Did stand out in the car park despite being in the company of many large BMW's Audis. Volvos etc etc .

If you see a chance take it! doesnt have to be a nailed down classic, just something half interesting, and post it up. Stimulates participation :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 19:05 If you see a chance take it! doesnt have to be a nailed down classic, just something half interesting, and post it up. Stimulates participation :-D

Regards Neil
Noted, will do!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Jaguar XK8 on its hoildays had a brief chat with the owner. I would have put it in the favourite colours for cars thread but instead of being a delicate metallic pale green which it was, its come out looking silver.
nf own work
nf own work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Best I could do in 60 miles of club cycling today...

A Morgan I believe...
A Red Morgan...
A Red Morgan...
We visited a very nice pub on the canalside at Stoke Bruerne and this car was seen shortly after we started our return journey...

Stoke Bruerne hosts a large and interesting canal museum and a short walk away is the south portal of the Blisworth tunnel...

Worth a visit :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 17:34 Best I could do in 60 miles of club cycling today...

A Morgan I believe...

Well done for the reg no JIm.....A "Naylor Unknown 1985" according to the Autotrader Vehicle Check :-D . 1700 cc engine from DVLA check. I'll have a dig :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Naylor are an outfit from W Yorks and produced...

the Naylor TF1700
Wiki page here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naylor_TF_1700
"Most of the car's mechanicals came straight from the Morris Marina/Ital, including the 1.7 litre SOHC O-series engine with 77 hp (57 kW) and the four-speed manual transmission. The rear axle was the Marina's live unit with coil springs"
They were quite pricey when they were produced, as expensive as a Morgan Plus 8 Injection. I think you would like something a little better than the gubbins from a Marina/Ital even if you had a bit of Connolly leather to sit on :-D
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 18:33 A "Naylor Unknown 1985" according to the Autotrader Vehicle Check :-D . 1700 cc engine from DVLA check. I'll have a dig :-D

Wow! That's interesting.. First I've heard of Naylor and thanks for the full details of it Neil...

I'd say the very best thing to do with a Marina or an Ital :lol:

That one was a real looker in its dark red paintwork and very appealing..
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

craft butchers van in front of the craft butchers
craft butchers van in front of the craft butchers
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

How does a craft butcher differ from a normal butcher ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 19:01 How does a craft butcher differ from a normal butcher ?
Go on be creative come up with a suggestion. :-D

Must be an artist with a cleaver and a hacksaw

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey