Re: Mick's Motoring South Coast Saunter

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

It is only just over a week since I returned from the September Stroll but having read the write ups I have been doing, my mate in Spain has asked if we can do a similar road trip in November when he is due to be over here. I never need much persuasion to go driving so we have decided to complete the bottom loop of England so that I can say to the grandchildren "One year I .............etc." So I have spent today doing the initial groundwork, ie planning places to visit, maps needed and checking what I have and what I need to find. It seems that 26 maps are needed and I currently have just 9 of them (marked with a green G). I will be circulating my needs to the sources I used last time and see what I come up with.

Meantime I'll be happy to meet up with any members who would like to join us for whatever, elevenses, lunch, tea or dinner? Suggestions of sites to visit along the way will be most welcome. Obviously no dates yet and all depends on covid but the idea is November time.

Here is a copy of my initial planning sheet to give you an idea of where we intend to go. :)
Own work
Own work
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 27 Sep 2020, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Re: Mick's Motoring South Coast Saunter

Post by bobins »

Are you just 'passing through' Worthing, or have you plans to visit something there ? Apart from a stroll along the pier, and admire some of the breakwaters I used to maintain, I can't think of a good enough reason to stop off there :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I honestly don't know yet. Once I've got all the maps I'll plot the route and then have an idea of overnight stops and lunch places etc. In the meantime I am hoping to get some meets suggested so I can get an idea of timings. How about a beer around Chichester area bobins? :-D
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The beer sounds like a good idea, but I've not a hope in being able to commit to anything yet as the end of the year can mean I have to be elsewhere with very little notice.

Looking at your route, I'd forego Worthing, Littledick'am, and Bognor in favour of Arundel - if for no other reason than to photograph the castle (reputedly the inspiration for Gormenghast). The best thing about Littlehampton is the A259 coast road that leads out of it. As for Bognor.... well, you can have a look at Butlin's in winter - if that floats your boat :lol:
I think you're going to have to go like the clappers to get around all the places on your tour though. Daylight will be in short supply in November :( Even if you're just going point to point - Hythe to Brighton can take hours, but if you're not in a hurry (to get to your destination), the backroads between Dungeness and Rye can be a bit of a blast :-D The Pilot and The Britannia at Dungeness are both good pubs :)

Edit: Whilst in the area, you could visit the birthplace of British motor racing. Yes, that motoring mecca - Bexhill-on-Sea. I kid you not :)
https://www.discoverbexhill.com/history ... racing.php
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Thanks for those ideas bobins, I'll keep them in the whereto file until I get the maps. :)
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

bobins wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 20:16 Are you just 'passing through' Worthing, or have you plans to visit something there ? Apart from a stroll along the pier, and admire some of the breakwaters I used to maintain, I can't think of a good enough reason to stop off there :lol:
I’m with Bobins on that! Rode down there on New Years Day 2019 with a friend. It was the only time my SV650S turned into a time machine and took me back to 1965!
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I’d be up for meeting in Chichester for lunch around 1pm... even if I stay 2 hours it means most of my 90 min ride home would be in daylight at that time of year.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I am East Sussex Maverick, often found in Rye. happy to have a catch up somewhere (chich possibly!).. will look in more detail and think of other places you could go .
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Excellent John, once I get some dates sorted and wheres and whens, we can try and put a few meets together. Looking forward to it already!! :-D
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Years ago we used to have a family get together every so often at The Royal Oak, East Lavant (near Chichester). The last time we were there was about ten years ago, so I cannot say what it is like now, but then it was a place we were happy to frequent every few months.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Michel wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 23:42 I’d be up for meeting in Chichester for lunch around 1pm... even if I stay 2 hours it means most of my 90 min ride home would be in daylight at that time of year.
Got that on the notepad Michel, I'll see if Chichester lunch works in due course, I know a nice pub there next to the yacht club, could be a goer!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 18:09 I know a nice pub there next to the yacht club, could be a goer!! :-D
You arent planning on a Howards Way pilgrimage while you are visiting the South Coast are you Mick :?:

https://www.jollysailoroldbursledon.co. ... ontent=gmb

"One of the central sets used is the pub. This is 'The Jolly Sailor' at Bursledon on the Hamble River between Farham and Southampton. The outside has not changed much including views of Jack Rolfe's boatyard in real life the Elephant Yard. Inside the pub there is a small memorial to the series in the form of a framed photo of the cast."

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 18:55
You arent planning on a Howards Way pilgrimage while you are visiting the South Coast are you Mick :?:

REgards Neil
Not on this trip Neil, I have already visited the Jolly Sailor some years ago when I went to view a Mazda RX7 which I didn't buy. SWMBO came with me to drive the car back if I had bought it so after I declined the car, too much smoke, we turned the trip into a Howard's Way tour and drove round the various sites finishing in the pub for lunch. Unfortunately we both went for the liver and bacon which arrived with a runny centre. I complained that it was not cooked properly and was told it was "rare" how they always did it. We both were a little stomach turned by it so we left it on the table, paid for the drinks and walked out. A sad end to a not very memorable trip for any other reason!! I never did get an RX7 either!! :( :( :-D
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A short stone skim from the yacht club you could visit Bosham. If you're lucky you get to see someone's car getting submerged on the foreshore when the tide comes in :twisted: It's also one of the places that lays claim to being where King Cnut (careful now !) tried to hold back the tide <spoiler alert> He failed. :lol:
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

When heading westwards from Chichester to Pompey, unless you specifically wanted to detour into Pompey, navigate to the B2177 at Havant and take the road that goes past Forts Purbrook, Widley, Southwick, and Nelson. Cracking views up there - the Isle Of Wight looks close enough to swim to, and if you're feeling peckish there's always Mick's Monster Burgers up there..... though I'd only rate them as good, personally, and nothing too special 8-[
If you're feeling flush and fancy going overseas, you could always catch the hovercraft down at Southsea and get a Ticket to Ryde :-D