Vintage Audio Activities...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Re: Lockdown Vintage Audio Activities...

Post by doctle »

Marigolds or the lidl version
Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is the vapour, not physical contact.

Jim and I have similar allergies but to different vapours.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 11:50 It is the vapour, not physical contact.

Jim and I have similar allergies but to different vapours.
Definitely a job to do outdoors and in such a way as the wind blows the fumes away from me...

With me it's easier to list what I'm NOT allergic to :twisted:

Oddly, one solvent I'm OK with is brake and clutch cleaner... No, I don't understand that either :?

The reason I'm a strict vegan who cooks 99.9% of what I eat is because I have such a myriad of food allergies :roll: :evil: :(

I do seem to thrive on my very strict diet and a lot of my vast improvement in my health seems to have coincided with going full vegan...

Maybe just a coincidence? I don't know and I'm not going to conduct any experiments to find out ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You chaps wouldn't be resposible for some of this would you? :-D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54239180
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 09:27 You chaps wouldn't be resposible for some of this would you? :-D

I bet his old television was there before the broadband, let him keep his television and switch it on when he wants!
Alternatively BT should offer him the most up to date television as a gesture to save their red faces of not being able to identify the "broadband problem" for 18 months.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 09:36
Gibbo2286 wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 09:27 You chaps wouldn't be resposible for some of this would you? :-D

I bet his old television was there before the broadband, let him keep his television and switch it on when he wants!

REgards Neil
You'd be round his house taking an axe to his TV at five past seven if he lived by you Neil :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't know what that could have been, all TVs radiated miscellaneous signals of some sort but not normally strong enough to cause that.

I remember back in the '50s when ITV started, some of the cheap band 3 converters which worked by converting the band 3 signal to a band 1 into into the aerial socket, radiated such a strong ITV signal that the people in neighboring houses got ITV whether they wanted it or not - on top of BBC!

Peter
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Never mind the fact that all the ADSL and, especially, VDSL signals have virtually wiped out amateur radio short wave reception. Doesn't matter who was there first. might is right.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Way back in the 40/50's similar issues were experienced by early telephone users where the BBC's broadcasting of the Light programme, which became Radio 2, caused induction issues in the telehones, leading to the addition of ASTIC (Anti Side Tone Induction Coil) circuitry in the 300 series telehones to block the interference.

In the 1970's while on Special Fault Investigation duties Bob and I were faced with inductive interference on a Radlett Subscriber's (Customer's these days!) line. Unfortunately for BT the customer was a famous BBC band leader, Harry Stoneham, with a very acute ear. As such he was seriously disturbed by the faint ringing noise on all his calls. We proved the fault to be due to induction from the railway overhead supply which crossed Mr Stoneham's feed cable at the bottom of the hill. It was present on most of the lines around but only noticed by his highly tuned ear. As there was not a general problem I had to produce a local remedy to satisfy him and came up with the idea to put him onto our new 1+1 party line scheme which used an early form of pulse code modulation to enable us to "piggy back" a high frequency carrier onto an existing line and feed a second customer. The high frequency carrier was not affected by the railway induction and so we installed a 1+1 system with just his line on the HF feed. No noise, happy customer and it only took us 8 days from report to final resolution!! Times have changed somewhat!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

A friend of mine, when he was at boarding school, hated it when, at 08:00 every morning (for an hour), one radio station broadcast fitness classes and the headmaster had all of the students taking part. My friend did something about it. It was obvious WHAT had been done, but nobody could find the device (which was a signal jammer that kicked in at 07:55 and then went off at 09:05). It was nicely tuned in so it only blocked that station (so if you wanted to listen to a different station and you were in range of the jammer you were not affected). See if you can guess where the jammer was;
Spoiler: show
All of the permanent staff were housed in the school grounds, and the jammer was wired to the headmasters' bedstead, which did sterling service as the aerial!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

When I had a linear for HF that knocked my broadband speed right down and took ages to come back. Don't get to much noise here, I don't have any near neighbors.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Not me Gov'nor...

Just been reading a very long thread about this on a vintage radio forum... Lots of speculation going on about how and why and what set it was...

The thread is just getting interesting, a little controversial but at the same time a little entertaining which means the mods will now close it :roll:

The mods on that forum, unlike on here, come across as a real old bunch of miserablist killjoys. I'm sure they're all lovely people really but they do very heavily moderate and demand topics stay bang-on topic... If they drift it's curtains :roll:

Goodness knows what they'd make of the FCF :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

CitroJim wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 18:50The mods on that forum, unlike on here, come across as a real old bunch of miserablist killjoys.
I'm a member of a forum about GPS systems (it's how I keep our C5 and 308 updated - shhhh) that is very heavily moderated. They are really quite unfriendly and if a newby comes on asking a question that is fairly common they are told to read the rules (!) and do a search of the forum.

There's also a rule that you shouldn't make a post just to thank someone, another that you shouldn't have an unnecessary quote in a reply and yet another that you shouldn't have two posts in a row - you should combine your replies into one post. I actually got an official warning about this last week!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Sounds like that forum is run by the three H's from WW2. Rather you than me Paul. :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Yeah, it is bit strict. Exact wording was "Expires 27th September 2020 08:07 PM: ... Introduction Rules violation". It's tough going at times.