New stereo

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

jxde-xox
My Cars: Citroen C3 (2002 model)

New stereo

Post by jxde-xox »

Hi all. I have a Citroen C3 (2002 model) and I’m looking to change the stereo in it, as the original head unit has stopped playing the radio and I am unsure what to do to sort this problem out.

I replaced it with an aftermarket stereo, without realising that this affects the central locking of the car and resulted in my being locked out of my car for the whole day.

I was wondering what I need to do to go about buying a new head unit and fitting it to my car - does it need to be programmed especially to my car or do I just fit it and it’d work??

Alternatively, I’ve been looking at a Citroen harness and fly lead to fit to fit an aftermarket stereo, as I’ve been told that this doesn’t mess with the central locking and electrics of the car? Is this the case?

Is there anything I need to know before doing either of these options? Thanks in advance
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 19 Jun 2019, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to the Telematics Section
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: New stereo

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Right so it depends on what you want to do. A couple of things to consider:

The Head Unit in your C3 is not just a radio as you have discovered. It does provide access to the configuration menu of the vehicle to enable certain options - so be prepared to loose access to these functions and for setting the date and time etc.

You have several choices: Replace the Head Unit with a like for like model - job done. It will need VIN coding to your vehicle (although some sellers will be able to do this for you if you do not have access to a Lexia diagnostic tool. Then you are back to having a proper Head Unit.

If you are looking to fit an aftermarket option - again be prepared to loose access to the vehicle menu and options as mentioned previously. You will need a special harness to ensure the aftermarket unit does not cause electrical malfunction and to interface with the vehicle's remote controls on the steering wheel stalk (if fitted).

Post your VIN up here and I can advise of the correct replacement Head Unit should you want a direct replacement.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jxde-xox
My Cars: Citroen C3 (2002 model)

Post by jxde-xox »

Where do I find my VIN?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The VIN is normally found in a small 'window' in the black area of the windscreen, down in the bottom left area, and is 15 digits long.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Caroline
My Cars: Citroen c2

Post by Caroline »

Hi I have a problem with my computer in my c2, after my car was stolen and my radio missed, I fit aftermarket radio. But after 3 days my electric Part start be crazy, all fault starts showing up and disappear,(ESP, braking system, airbag ect.) from time to time power stering not working. Any idea what could happend? Ive checked all liquids are on max.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is likely to be the aftermarket radio causing this. The networks and ECUs are highly integrated, and this includes the radio that was installed at the factory. If you post up the VIN the forum staff can let you know exactly which one had been fitted at the factory, so you can then see about getting a replacement. This will need to be coded to the car, otherwise it will beep loudly every few seconds!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!