Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This is the Tesla that I mentioned last week. Photo taken from my dash cam video.
Attachments
Ashampoo_Snap_02 September 2020_19h01m12s_001_ (2).png
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I think that Tesla Model 3 has had its Aero-Caps removed. The Aero-Caps dont look great, but do add a bit to the range.

Underneath is what some regard as a more attractive wheel.
tesla Model 3 standard wheels with aero caps and without aero caps
tesla Model 3 standard wheels with aero caps and without aero caps
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

70 reg Nissan Leaf
70 reg Nissan Leaf
I suspect this one is the replacement for the 16 reg White Zoe, for the NHS worker I was chatting to a couple of weeks ago.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I followed this chap from the North Circular down the A1 to Highbury Corner and I realised one bad feature about electric cars. They are able to slow quite suddenly without brake lights!! Not good if the car behind is not fully with it!!
Own work
Own work
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Probably not as rapid deceleration as a nelectric but the C5 was very capable of that and woke up a fair few of dolly daydream tailgaters.
Civic is crap at engine braking :(
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

mickthemaverick wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 22:27 I followed this chap from the North Circular down the A1 to Highbury Corner and I realised one bad feature about electric cars. They are able to slow quite suddenly without brake lights!! Not good if the car behind is not fully with it!!

So can a manual combustion car in a low gear if you were to suddenly lift the throttle.. :)

There is actually a legal requirement for EV's to show brake lights if they are slowing using regenerative braking and the deceleration is more than a certain amount. The spec says:
Vehicle decelerations
Signal generation
≤ 0.7 m/s^2
The signal shall not be generated
> 0.7 m/s^2 and ≤ 1.3 m/s^2
The signal may be generated
> 1.3 m/s^2
The signal shall be generated
So brake lights are allowed for more than 0.7m/s^2 deceleration and required for more than 1.3m/s^2 deceleration even if the brake pedal is not pressed.

Many earlier EV's (like my Ion) did not adhere to this because they were designed before the legislation was introduced, likewise my 2016 Leaf never lights the brake lights during regenerative braking (however it has fairly weak regeneration even in B mode so doesn't really need to) but it's certainly the case that EV's made in the last couple of years must comply with this legislation, and some models of older EV's (all Tesla's for example) also voluntarily implement a similar scheme.

The car in the picture is a Leaf 2 (40kWh or 62kWh) which was released in 2018 and has e-Pedal (single pedal driving) which can bring the car to a complete stop without using the brake pedal, so it will definitely be designed to comply with the brake light legislation.

I think a lot of drivers have just become accustomed to ICE drivers riding the brake pedal in a high gear with the tiniest little deceleration and therefore always expect brake lights to be on before they even start to slow. But they will have to get out of that habit because you don't want the brake lights coming on and off with every tiny speed variation of a vehicle otherwise they don't really mean anything if they are crying wolf all the time.

Brake lights should be reserved for a deceleration level which signals "attention: action must be taken", and I think the specified levels above are pretty much right. What seems like a rapid deceleration if a car is immediately in front of you and you're following too close probably isn't in reality, and is just showing up tailgaters or people accustomed to zoning out until they see a brake light. :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Blue Tesla S, 100 yards from home.
NewcastleFalcon

20 Reg White Jaguar I Pace for me today apart from the usual Leafs old and new shape. Passed a nice light blue metallic 65 reg leaf. Should have waved really!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Saw a black Tesla yesterday. An awful ugly brute :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 05:58 Saw a black Tesla yesterday. An awful ugly brute :evil:
I think if it was indeed an ugly brute, for me that would have to be a Model X.

It all depends on your own point of view of course, but I would describe the Model 3 as beeing largely inoffensive and mostly quite anonymous amongst the general traffic. Indeed among a sea of SUV's a saloon is nice to see.

The Model S looks like what it is an executive saloon, no more and no less offensive than other executive saloon offerings.

So my conclusion is you have spotted a Black Model X.

I know the answer to this question but I'll ask it anyway.
Does having orange seats improve the "look" for you Jim :?:
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Black is definitely the worst colour for a Model 3. I've seen a few of them now and it really spoils their looks. Unfortunately black is the default colour unless you pay more for a different colour! (White used to be the default no option colour its now black for some reason)

Model 3's look good in Blue, Red and the new dark metalic grey which looks similar to the Silex Grey on my Xantia. They look OK but bland in white, and very bland in Black.

Although I now own a white car I can't see myself ever buying a black car!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 09:45
CitroJim wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 05:58 Saw a black Tesla yesterday. An awful ugly brute :evil:
I think if it was indeed an ugly brute, for me that would have to be a Model X.

It all depends on your own point of view of course, but I would describe the Model 3 as beeing largely inoffensive and mostly quite anonymous amongst the general traffic. Indeed among a sea of SUV's a saloon is nice to see.

The Model S looks like what it is an executive saloon, no more and no less offensive than other executive saloon offerings.

So my conclusion is you have spotted a Black Model X.

I know the answer to this question but I'll ask it anyway.
Does having orange seats improve the "look" for you Jim :?:
Regards Neil
Definitely a Model X :twisted: Yes, orange helps a bit and if the whole thing was painted in the same orange as the seats (I like orange seats a lot :) ) It would look far better and I could almost like it ;)

I believe any car is vastly improved by being painted either bright yellow or orange :D Except white cars of course ;) I like white cars!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 10:04 Although I now own a white car I can't see myself ever buying a black car!
Having owned a couple of black cars I can tell you it's the worst colour by far Simon. It shows up every speck of dust, every little bit of dirt dirt and every tiny imperfection...

They are incredibly hard to keep looking good :twisted:

White cars are just the opposite and that's a bit counter-intuitive. Not many cars look really good in white but for those that it suits they look magnificent... just like silver really; very few look good but Xantias and XMs look magnificent in silver, as they do in white :D

I've had more white cars than any other colour now... My first car was white so maybe I'm biassed...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

An almost black Tesla S.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 16:32 An almost black Tesla S.
Dark grey? Or was it covered in small irregular white patches making it look like a cow? :lol:
Jim