Electric Cars:what's available?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Cars:what's available?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Skoda have just launched ther new EV. Had to be an SUV didn't it.
https://www.skoda.co.uk/discover/electric-enyaq-iv
https://www.skoda.co.uk/discover/electric-enyaq-iv
One of the Youtube vids on it

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Did you know?

Well its reported on the internet in many places, and I picked it up from this comment on the Skoda EnYaq IV
Walter Benye
"Skoda already had a great affordable EV in the Citigo. VW again did a "Let's screw the public" moment. The Citigo was sold out in the mere 400 unit allocation in the UK, and to thank the UK for their business, they canceled production. This obsession with SUV that has to go 0-100km in 2.3 seconds and do everything including make your coffee has got to go. This is NOT what the average person wants. The perpetual pushing of the overpriced, not needed, not affordable to the general public EV's has got to stop. It only props up the the ego's of the designers and company profits. It perpetuates the ICE cars as well. I don't need speed and 5,000 km's of range, and a headup display to cover the windscreen with leather trim. Younger people have stopped buying cars in protest. This is the reason. Get a life VW leave well enough alone."
Express and Star
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/mot ... -off-sale/
The firm's Citigo-e iV only arrived in the UK in February, but has already been removed from sale after the firm filled its 2020 allocation for the model, with order books being closed for the Citigo for the foreseeable future.
Is that how supply and demand works? You create a product that people want, and are buying, then choke off production of it. Second hand cheaper EV's are going to be vitally important in wide scale electrification , but the car companies current plans for production of the cheaper evs mean that its going to take years and years for the change to happen.

A major major disruption needs to occur to shatter the cosy price structure for EV's the automakers are creating

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 14:25 Did you know?
No, but I do now and it's frankly shocking :evil: And definitely no pun intended...

My neighbours have an ICE Citigo and they love it... They seem fundamentally a very good little car...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

Electric Cars: Are We Ready 3 Sep 7.30pm on ITV for those that have the same questions .....

....Tonight. The government has promised to ban the sale of all new diesel, petrol and hybrid cars in the UK by 2035. But are we ready for the electric revolution?
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
NewcastleFalcon

Cheers Skull, another post I hadnt picked up until now. So without seeing yours I put it up on the spotted thread!

Again you were undoubtedly first :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

Cheers Neil

Is there a prize :bd: :cd: :cud:
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
NewcastleFalcon

Not just "UK sell out its 2020 quota of 400 Citigo-e IV", but Citigo-e IV axed in its entirety according to this.

No small Skoda electric cars after Citigo-e iV axed
Skoda axes Citigo-e iV with no electric car smaller than Octavia planned

Where does it leave its stablemates the VW E-Up! and the Seat Mii electric? Probably on borrowed time, but still currently in production. Does it sound like VW are going to put much effort into large scale production of those models?

The VW Group is introducing the VW ID 1 but not just yet, and presumably Skoda & SEAT will have their versions. That's on a long grass timetable hardly a revolutionary rush, and when it arrives very unlikely to be a true bargain basement "volks"wagen more a "reasonably well-heeled" wagen.

Small EV's are not profitable enough, or aren't being given the chance to be profitable enough with high volume production plans.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

VW are having to give all their cash to disgruntled diesel owners and in fines to cheated States. :)

I was thinking about the British cities who will be fined by the EU i.e. Germany for not meeting the pollution targets set. A bit of a scandal considering the pollution is from our city streets being littered with dishonest German cars.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Not quite available yet, and still not very bargain basement but TESLA do appear to be on a mission, and from the words of Elon Musk this is on its way in about 3 year's time....

Tesla Battery Day: Tesla Promises $25,000 EV in Three Years

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

World RallyCross Project E

Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

Having spotted a couple of KIA Soul EV's recently , a nice blue one, and a black one lets see what KIA say about them.
Of course if you want to find out about them you could speak first hand to a KIA Soul driver, I have spoken to one so far and......yes very enthusiastic and the car more than living up to expectations. Really for the majority of drivers it has the sort of range where, except on the weekly LeJog or JogLe, you are just not going to be inconvenienced at all.

Then there is Fully Charged and the like on you tube where you can chose the reviewers you like, and the best will give you chapter and verse and more.

The final source is probably the ones who know least....the Manufacturers sales personnel at the Dealer (only joking they also have a forecourt of ICE to sell to be fair) but that was a comment which did spring out of my chat this morning.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, Hyundai have just delivered some Hydrogen fuel cell lorries to Switzerland;

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/hyu ... d=msedgntp
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Interesting James I'll put a link to your post on the HYdrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles Still Alive Thread

They very much are or will be and unlikely to disappear...too much talk and investment in Hydrogen of all colours grey/blue and green from Governments/energy companies and even BP and Shell!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Some time ago I posted a video of a Tesla Model S motor "tear down" where it was basically just ripped it apart and destroyed... :roll:

I came across this video more recently which is a proper tear down of the rear motor and gearbox of a Tesla Model 3 for those interested in what is inside and how it comes apart. :)

These guys actually took it apart properly without destroying it in the process...

What's interesting to note is that the gearbox (and differential) despite being a single speed still dwarfs the motor itself which is truly tiny considering its 346 horsepower. :twisted: Electric motors have incredible power density compared to internal combustion engines.

Also interesting to note is that Tesla build the drive inverter onto the motor as part of the motor/gearbox assembly while many other makes have the inverter as a separate box with three orange high voltage cables running to the motor.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm happy with the mechanical bits and the motor itself in the Tesla unit but that big board of electronics terrify me...

I can't see it having a long and happy life as it's lives in quite a hostile environment... Still, I guess Mr. Musk will make lots of loot from selling spares as they fail...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...