Scrapyards & Scrapyard purchases.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Scrapyards & Scrapyard purchases.

Post by CitroJim »

Seems a shame to have sent the Corsa to the scrappy after lavishing so much attention on it Neil...

Did you not try to sell it first or did you think as I might... More hassle than it was worth? In the past I've given things away rather than go through the stress of selling them, especially on the 'bay... If you took the path of least resistance I fully understand...

Or are scrappies paying good money for cars again now?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 18:33 Seems a shame to have sent the Corsa to the scrappy after lavishing so much attention on it Neil...

Did you not try to sell it first or did you think as I might... More hassle than it was worth? In the past I've given things away rather than go through the stress of selling them, especially on the 'bay... If you took the path of least resistance I fully understand...

Or are scrappies paying good money for cars again now?
Having the LEAF and the MICRA taxed/mot-ed/ and insured, the Corsa was just on SORN after a failed MOT.

I was just working my way through the sheet as and when I felt like it. The last of my cars I sold to anyone was about 35 years ago....every car since has been run for large milages and then taken away for recycling. Like you I wouldn't volunteer to sell on. Definitely couldn't be bothered with that hassle.

As for scrapping them, we live miles away from the nearest scrapyard, and I never look for any money for the vehicles I scrap. For one they come up quicker when they are getting it for free, and it probably takes at least an hour and a half round trip to get up here, in a vehicle which does a paltry miles/gallon so if the scrapmen can make anything out of it good luck to them.

One phone call this morning. Car collected by 12.30, DVLA notified On-Line, job done. That's how I like to do it :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 18:33 Or are scrappies paying good money for cars again now?
I got £100 for the C5.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 18:48
One phone call this morning. Car collected by 12.30, DVLA notified On-Line, job done. That's how I like to do it :-D

Absolutely :D Quick, easy and stress-free! Works for me!
myglaren wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 19:18
CitroJim wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 18:33 Or are scrappies paying good money for cars again now?
I got £100 for the C5.
That's not bad at all Steve 👍😃
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The front tyres were worth that
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

As this thread also says scrapyard purchases both my Leon and Hilux came from the same scrapyard, and both moted taxed and insured, and the Leon I have had for 20 months now which is longer than I have kept any car for the last good few years. And it got a treat a couple days ago, as in a proper valet and a top up of its ceramic coating. Theres how it looks, £100 for a valet is expensive, but as I am not able to keep them clean as I used to be able to, the ceramic coating is a godsend. It just needs a power hose with no chemicals, sponges or effort.
received_415586729415485.jpeg
received_711737099557503.jpeg
received_305767087352376.jpeg
received_3090368184405034.jpeg
received_1102493626811824.jpeg
For what I paid for it and spent on servicing including a timing belt and water pump I would still get every penny back were I to sell it now. Not bad for a scrapper lol
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
NewcastleFalcon

Looks good Davie, and welcome to the thread :-D. Never bought a whole car from a scrapyard. Friend of mine bought an auto XM from one of the local scrappies, just on an impulse not a very common site in the scrapyards now.

Like I often say an airbag light on can scrap a decent car, so if you know about fixing them up some bargains can be had. The standard of cars in scrapyards now is a good few notches up on the rusty wrecks which filled the yards in my youth.

The car I just scrapped would still make a decent cheap first car for a new driver, and fixing up the one or two things that remained for the MOT ticket could be a good learning curve for a youngster, as my first Mini was for me. Not many youngsters are following that route into car ownership and motoring these days.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 08:19
Not many youngsters following that route into car ownership and motoring these days.

REgards Neil
How right you are Neil, and what a pity that is the case. My first Morris Minor was a steep but exciting learning curve, from trafficators to ball joints. drums to floor mounted washer button she introduced me to many of the darker arts in car maintenance, and produced some entertaining moments while my L plates were still on board!! Bob and I have memories of our first survival of unintended events from that car! All will be revealed in due course :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 08:19 Looks good Davie, and welcome to the thread :-D. Never bought a whole car from a scrapyard.
I bought my AX from a scrapyard.
It was only when I got it home and did the paperwork that I found that I had actually bought a Visa :(

It wasn't that bad, ran for a long time without any problems.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 08:51 I bought my AX from a scrapyard.
It was only when I got it home and did the paperwork that I found that I had actually bought a Visa :(
:lol: That did make me giggle...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Me too when I got over the first disappointment. Should have looked closer than the chevrons on the bonnet.
NewcastleFalcon

Are Scrapyard offers for cars on the way up? Was surprised when I read this from Colin for his Xantia. The market for second hand Xantia Parts has to be pretty slow these days, so I can only presume the scrap metal price has gone up.
admiral51 wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 16:18 I have been quoted £305 as a scrap price for the car which is a route i do not want to go down but needs must.
Car is located in Poole Dorset if it helps.
One of the biggest weigh in places around these parts is EMR at Blaydon, I slapped a couple of reg no's in, and they do appear to be offering higher prices than I would have expected. Then again I'm well out of touch on such matters.

https://www.emrvehiclerecycling.com/

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Neil i was also shocked, to be honest i was looking at maybe £150 - £200 but i tried a few and motorwise gave me the best offer.
Happy to for anyone to put the reg in and BH16 5BL postcode for my xantia in and see what the price they offer and whilst not my exact postcode it is pretty close :)

Not sure if down to Brexit alone or a combination of Brexit/Covid but second hand car prices are going up, something to do with the shortage of chips for the electronics in new build vehicles. I am led to believe the lead time for a new vehicle is now close to 4 months if not already built

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Neil i just popped my reg and postcode into the emr site and they offered £175 if they collect or £280 if i drive it to one of their sites :(

Colin
NewcastleFalcon

James spotted a Polestar 2, racked up in this scrapyard. Valuable car with valuable parts.

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 14:03 If you did happen to be looking for parts for a polestar 2, I wonder other than pure fortune of accidentally coming across it how you could easily find it. I half remember Simon using some sort of "parts finder" which turned up the Leaf "transfer drive" from a scrapyard.

A1's website doesn't offer any detailed cataloguing of cars they have, so looks like it would be pot luck with a good old fashioned telephone call :-D

I expect that they would be part of some network so that if someone was looking for what must be quite a rarity, used parts for a Polestar 2, their scrapyard would pop up on a "parts finder" enquiry.

The site Simon Used was this
https://www.partsgateway.co.uk/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey