Bargain Basement Motoring

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Bargain Basement Motoring

Post by mickthemaverick »

Almost a new car in my world!! Mine are 19 and 26 years old and I'd much rather work on the 26 year old one!! Good luck with it anyway, let us know the outcome :!: :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

When you say you've had a go at it with a screwdriver - I presume you mean you've put the socket in a vice and walloped the head of the bolt through the socket, and not tried to pry them apart around the circumference ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

bobins wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 18:27 When you say you've had a go at it with a screwdriver - I presume you mean you've put the socket in a vice and walloped the head of the bolt through the socket, and not tried to pry them apart around the circumference ?
Anyway you can think of I have done with screwdriver and hammer. Access to one of those heavy duty bench vices would probably have completed the job but the small clip on vice I have any major force just forces the socket out of the jaws.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Will the socket drop into the piece of scaff tube you've got ? Just thinking about a bit of extra leverage so you can a bit more brutal with it.
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 19:07 Will the socket drop into the piece of scaff tube you've got ? Just thinking about a bit of extra leverage so you can a bit more brutal with it.
The socket is only 15mm the scaffold pole is more like 40mm. With a simple bolt without the collar around it you could maybe get some action around the rim of the socket. I think the strategy will be a visit to the agricultural engineers see if they have a match in their stocks, if not see if Nissan have a bolt in stock, order one up anyway, and reassemble using Mick's method, and get the socket off the bolt when its done up.

Then again If I see Les while walking the dog and he has his oxy-acetylene in the van, we may have a little play with fire!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That looks easy to me, use it like a hammer i.e. hold the threaded bit and whack something using the socket as the hammer head turning it as you go.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 09:29 That looks easy to me, use it like a hammer i.e. hold the threaded bit and whack something using the socket as the hammer head turning it as you go.
WEll I'm sure you have made that work many times Gibbo...thanks for the tip, got to be the edge of the socket I take it, using it like a hammer banging a nail in would just force it on. I'm heading for the agricultural engineers first, I would like to replace the bolt.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 09:29 That looks easy to me, use it like a hammer i.e. hold the threaded bit and whack something using the socket as the hammer head turning it as you go.
Thanks! I think you should have a thread of your own Gibbo, called "Ask Gibbo" :-D
two minutes with the gibbo method!
two minutes with the gibbo method!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

One little thing to do before reassembly got underway.......the bottom part of the drop link where it attaches to the anti-roll bar.

again carefully removed
dont bother with spanners and allen keys only the grinder will ever get these off (IMHO)
dont bother with spanners and allen keys only the grinder will ever get these off (IMHO)
One of those outdoor, in the street, car repairing days when you realise that light drizzle can soak you to the skin just as much as a heavy downpour...

Savage amusement

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

deleted
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 26 Aug 2020, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I understand your excitement but you didn't have to post it 3 times!! :-D :-D :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 18:04 I understand your excitement but you didn't have to post it 3 times!! :-D :-D :-D
Was in the process of deleting them :-D Excitement is not the word. Heading for a long soak in the one of those old fashioned things called a bath :-D Three changes of strip today, awful day to be working in a muddy puddle. It must be some form of addiction its madness. Why didnt I just pay my local garage to do it :?:

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 26 Aug 2020, 19:12, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I have watched the odd "remove a rusty bolt" video but when I saw this bloke and the position he was in, and realising that on occasions I have done exactly that sort of thing myself, I thought think once think twice, pay someone to do it!
I have now done a starter motor, discs and pads, full exhaust, coil spring, and lower arm on the BB Micra all in their way straightforward jobs made awful by rusty nuts and bolts. The Airbag fixing was a cleaner job altogether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5eloHPqWpU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5eloHPqWpU
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 18:00
One of those outdoor, in the street, car repairing days when you realise that light drizzle can soak you to the skin just as much as a heavy downpour...

Regards Neil
That's what's known down here - and no doubt loads of other places - as "boss's rain".... heavy enough to get you wet, but not heavy enough to stop work :lol:
Bezza
My Cars: 2004 Picasso Hdi

Post by Bezza »

How are these French Micra's ??? heard everything from Crap - to excellent...no in between really LOL, always a few about at stupidly low prices...usually with the lingering aroma of curry and quite a few 'park by touch' dings