Partner 1.6hdi starter/immobiliser

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

maritimesbob
My Cars: Peugeot 1.6 hdi 2007 Partner

Partner 1.6hdi starter/immobiliser

Post by maritimesbob »

Hi all

My 2007 Partner van (1.6 hdi) decided to not crank over, It has been fine, I parked up got out and returned ten minutes later to no cranking. I can't even hear the solenoid clicking.

Assuming the battery was dead, I checked with my volt meter but I was getting 12.65ish, pretty good. Anyways I asked a friend for a boost, but nope still nothing. We disconnected the boost, and figured I need recovery as I was in a busy area.

But after poking around in the fusebox, then pushing the key in and out several times it suddenly decided to crank over like nothing happened.

So, I'm leaning toward a failing solenoid perhaps on the starter, a bad ground somewhere, but could this possibly be the immobiliser giving some issues?

Would the immobiliser light come on if it was causing this? Also does the immobiliser disable the starter motor/solenoid on these vans?

Otherwise I guess I should focus on the starter motor.

Thanks
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Partner 1.6hdi starter/immobiliser

Post by wheeler »

No, the factory immobiliser doesn’t inhibit the starter on this van.
Yes you would have got a warning message/light if the key was not detected.
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

wheeler wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 22:47 No, the factory immobiliser doesn’t inhibit the starter on this van.
Yes you would have got a warning message/light if the key was not detected.
Thank you that helps a lot. Guess I'm leaning toward a flakey starter/solenoid or bad ground then.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

That would be more likely, there is also a relay but it is integral to the under bonnet fusebox. You really need to wait till it happens again & check there is a power supply to the starter.
Worst case if the starter has failed it should go off a push/tow start.
The thing about the relay in the under bonnet fusebox only applies if its a mk3 model. Not sure what year it is as your profile says 2008 but the post says 2007?
The mk3 appeared in 2007 but its not unusual to see straggling mk2's on 2010 plates.
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

Ok, been out in the van, started just fine all morning. Went to get some diesel and the starter was struggling to turn the engine over, it only just fired up. Of all the places, I knew it would cause a problem there!

I guess this indicates the starter is dying. Looks like fun trying to get to it as well!

I checked the battery again, varies from 12.6 to 13.0, charging around 14. The fact it would not turn over yesterday with booster cables shows the battery is likely ok, and its been starting ok this morning until the gas station.

Ps, it's a 57 plate so I guess that's a 2007.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you get a reconditioned starter motor from GSF it will probably have been reconditioned by Bosch (the one I got for my previous C5 was), and if you take back the original motor in the packaging provided you should get some money back (about £55 when I did).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Dont be tempted by the price of Euro Car Parts/Car parts for less RTX branded starter motors, unless you want to be replacing it again in a couple of weeks.
They are complete junk & it used to be quite common to get them faulty straight out the box too.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It still is
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I bet it is, the reason I say used to be is I stopped using them years ago so wouldn't know :-D
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

You guys had these starters out on the 1.6 diesels? Is there enough room to take it out the top, Haynes suggests there is. The bottom way looks tricky with the exhaust etc. The bolts look fun to get at too, all the piping and wiring looms above the starter!
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

Popped over to the local breaker, he had a starter for me to 20 pound. Changed it over, seems to have remedied the problem. It even sounds better cranking over! But not the most fun job, the three bolts are a pita to get at.
dooves
My Cars: Peugeot partner mk1

Post by dooves »

Hi Martinmesbob

which method did you use to remove the starter, did you manage to get it from the top or did you have to go in from the bottom
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's s right git of a job! One bolt from the top, but it's under the thermostat housing and is invisible. The other 2 from the bottom, one is easy on the bottom of the starter, the other is invisible over the top - I never managed to get this one out on my 307, despite about 3 tries! you need a 6mm allen on an extension of just the right length slid in over the starter but below the solenoid. It would be a lot easier without the drive shaft in place!!
Richard W