HDi 110 (DW10CTED) crank bolt problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brman
My Cars: Scudo van
a bmw....

HDi 110 (DW10CTED) crank bolt problem

Post by brman »

Hi,

First I should come clean, the vehicle is not a peugeot, it is a 2002 fiat scudo van. However it is really a Peugeot Expert and has the PSA DW10CTED engine so I am hoping there are more experts here!

My problem is that I wanted to change the crank pulley as it was rattling but had a real job trying to remove the crank bolt. 5 minutes with a impact wrench working it back and forward. I was convinced it had been cross threaded but there is no sign of the expected damage or debris on the bolt. However there are signs that the pulley was loose - wear marks from the timing gear plus wear on the crank key.

So, some questions for the experts here:

- does this look like the right bolt? I am hoping someone hasn't run the wrong bolt into the crank. It is M14x1.5, 70mm long.
- Any other ideas on why it should be so tight? I was wondering but over used loctite but I have never had a problem with this once it is broken free.
- I am thinking of running a tap into the crank to clean it up. Sensible or not?
- finally, is this a stretch bolt? Does it need replacing? I have read both 110Nm and 70Nm+62degrees. Which is correct?

TIA, any advice gratefully received!
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: HDi 110 (DW10CTED) crank bolt problem

Post by lexi »

I have had to jump on these bolts all the way out. Just fit a new bolt and a top top quality damper pulley and tighten it big time. Lock everything so it is impossible to move timing.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
brman
a bmw....

Post by brman »

Thanks Lexi,

So being stiff to remove is not unusual then? Did you find you needed to chase the threads or did you just run the new bolt in and tighten as much as possible?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It depends on how much locking fluid was applied, as lexi says I also have had one tight all the way. The unofficial way of doing it is to put the socket on a long bar and rest the front end on the ground and just blip the starter, that usually works but I have had to unwind one all the way.

Peter
brman
a bmw....

Post by brman »

So it sounds like you guys are saying don't mess with trying to clean the threads out with a tap? Just refit new parts and torque it up?
Any comments on the torque setting? Is it the 70Nm+62degrees or just as tight as possible? ;)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The info I have says 'Stage 1 tighten to 40Nm then angle to 53 degrees.' but you may find someone knows different.

There is a link to manuals on here with all the torque settings but I'm not sure if your model is covered.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I just pull as hard as I can on the on the long bar, never had one come loose, especially with some locktite on it.

Peter
brman
a bmw....

Post by brman »

sounds good :)
brman
a bmw....

Post by brman »

I realised I did not conclude this thread so here goes....

I bought a new bolt (and pulley) and used the old bolt (with slots cut in it) as a chaser. Turns out the threads were just full of gunk, not actually damaged. After that the new pulley and bolt went in fine although I am not convinced I got it to the factory torque. It is as tight as I could get it with breaker bar though and hasn't rattled loose yet ;)