Berlingo subframe removal problems - bolts spinning, odd metal plate acting as captive nut (steering rack repair)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

woverlord
My Cars: Berlingo HDi 1.6 Multispace from 2011

Berlingo subframe removal problems - bolts spinning, odd metal plate acting as captive nut (steering rack repair)

Post by woverlord »

Hi,

I'm hoping I could get a little help from the knowledgeable folks on this forum. I have a Berlingo 1.6 Multispace HDi manufactured in 2011 that unfortunately has a broken steering rack after only ~85000 KM. Not too uncommon as far as I understand, but still a PITA.

In order to change the steering rack, I understand I will need to drop the subframe a bit. However, some of the 4 bolts holding the front subframe to the chassis are now spinning. Citroen seems to have made an odd design choice where the bolts going through the subframe to the chassis are attached to a small square metal plate (this metal plate/sheet is acting as captive nut). However, there's no way to hold this metal plate as the access room is tiny and it's also hard to get anything to grip on a tiny metal sheet/plate. Cutting in the subframe and the chassis isn't legal under my countries laws.

A few questions:
1. Does anyone have experience with this problem? Preferably a solution that includes pictures Smile
2. Is there a way to access the metal sheet holding the spinning bolt from the floor of the passenger compartment or some other way?
3. Is it really necessary to drop the subframe to change the steering rack?

Thank you.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Berlingo subframe removal problems - bolts spinning, odd metal plate acting as captive nut (steering rack repair)

Post by lexi »

Can you not drill a small hole through sub frame and plate. Stick a 6mm bolt through to capture the plate and let you undo it? Plug and paint hole .
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
woverlord

Re: Berlingo subframe removal problems - bolts spinning, odd metal plate acting as captive nut (steering rack repair)

Post by woverlord »

Yes, this should work, but according to my understanding for where I live it's not legal to cut nor drill in a subframe nor similar parts
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

woverlord wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 06:18 Yes, this should work, but according to my understanding for where I live it's not legal to cut nor drill in a subframe nor similar parts
Just make sure you drill another hole exactly opposite on the other side to make it look like it left the factory like that 8-)
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Can you clean up there then give it a whizz with Mig welder?
Two pack metal glue?
Or Cut head of bolt off then once frames down deal with it?
woverlord

Post by woverlord »

Thanks for the input. In the end the solution was to get a really tiny welder that could actually fit in there to reweld the small metal plate. At this point the bolt stopped spinning, and it could be undone.