1998 Peugeot Boxer 2L petrol, engine sputter

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jmaracas
My Cars: Peugeot boxer 2L petrol 1998

1998 Peugeot Boxer 2L petrol, engine sputter

Post by Jmaracas »

Hi all, my 1998 Peugeot Boxer 2L petrol, engine started to sputter and choke under acceleration during my last trip, once it's up to speed it goes away. I noticed water collection on the block between plug 2 and 3, extracted plug 2 found it to be filthy with water in external plug chamber, inside seemed fine. I changed the plugs, leads and coil but it still happens, engine idles fine, I rev and sometimes it revs fine, others it sputters and hunts.

There is no OBD2 port inside so not sure how to diagnose

Any help much appreciated
. thanks all
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: 1998 Peugeot Boxer 2L petrol, engine sputter

Post by wheeler »

Cant imagine there are a lot of 2L petrol Boxers around, sounds like quite a rare one.
Have you rechecked the HT leads are not getting wet again?
This year of Boxer will Likley need a 2 pin connector for diagnostics but you will be very limited on what info you can get out of it.
Theres a good chance that you wont even get a fault code out of it unless the engine management light is on.
Have you done any other basic checks like replacing the fuel filter if its not been done for a while?
Jmaracas

Post by Jmaracas »

Thanks for the reply, It's a motorhome, I will have a look at the fuel filter but doubt that would cause the issue (unless it's restricting fuel flow).
Jmaracas

Post by Jmaracas »

Changed leads plugs and coil yesterday so no moisture on them.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Jmaracas wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 11:02 Thanks for the reply, It's a motorhome, I will have a look at the fuel filter but doubt that would cause the issue (unless it's restricting fuel flow).
Thats the idea, it may be partially blocked still allowing some fuel through but not enough when its under load?
Im not sure what type of fuel filter is on this a I cant remember ever seeing this engine in a Boxer but its likely the only way to 'check' it will be to cut it open.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would also put a failing fuel pump on your list of components that could cause these symptoms.
Jmaracas

Post by Jmaracas »

It's an in-line fuel filter, I had to get under the van to locate it near the fuel tank attached to the underbody. Hopefully that does the job, if not I'll have to look at replacing the fuel pump.
Jmaracas

Post by Jmaracas »

Changed filter, has not solved the problem, any clue on fuel pump? Do I have to drop tank to access?
Jmaracas

Post by Jmaracas »

xantia_v6 wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 09:40 I would also put a failing fuel pump on your list of components that could cause these symptoms.
Do I have to drop the tank to get to the pump? Or is there a hatch
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

On diesel models there is an access panel in the cab floor, cant imagine the petrol model would be different.
Henry dufficy
New User
My Cars: Peugeot boxer 2ltr petrol

Post by Henry dufficy »

Have an issue with my 2ltr petrol boxer also its running very rich and occasionally key code comes on on the dash and it cuts out while driving for no reason then the engine won't start at all it will turn over but all of a sudden it will decide to start again and keep going for weeks I'm wrecking my head to find out what the cause is it also pushes out a lot of white smoke at times when starting from cold