RNEG switch for android

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

lsky
My Cars: Peugeot 407 coupe

RNEG switch for android

Post by lsky »

Hi!
Obviously this is a RNEG headunit in this 407 coupe that im willing to buy.

VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
I know there is a ton of problems with this radio.
So i was wondereing would i be able to just switch it for something like this that is being sold for RD4 units?
To avoid restart problems and to be able to connect my phone for music
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32858966411.html
Attachments
peugeot-407-2-0-l-hecbekas-2010-dyzelinas.jpg
lsky

Re: RNEG switch for android

Post by lsky »

I guess it is the question of whether or not i can switch RNEG for RD4? If so than this android should be compatible as well
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well it's not quite as simple as that.

First, your VIN is wrong - you've missed a letter / number. It should be 17 long so I can't tell the system you have.

The item you have referred to in the link looks like it is for the old RD4 systems that were installed before 2008, so these will probably not fit or be compatible (but I'll have to wait until you confirm your VIN to be sure)

Are you are saying you want to go from RNEG to RD4 or RNEG to Android?, it's not very clear.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
lsky

Post by lsky »

Sorry, mate
VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

And sorry if i confused you.
I would like to buy a car without concerning myself with future problems that the headunit can cause (restarting). And to be able to listen to music through bluetooth.
From what i have read so far, the only sure way of doing it, is to just throw away the RNEG unit. So what to put in its place? These chinese android units seem to be the best option...
I just thought if its possible to switch RNEG for RD4, then it should be possible to switch RNEG for this android.
lsky

Post by lsky »

Update - i have asked android headunit seller about compatibility. Here is what a got:

If there is a JBL power amplifier, then this product is not compatible with JBL power amplifier
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Right.

So forget RD4 - that's a basic Audio unit with basic screen and no Bluetooth and no point even thinking about that - can't see why you want to downgrade to that.
RD45 added Bluetooth to the unit - calls and audio streaming.
RNEG or MyWay that you have, added telematics.
RT4 early Navidrive had Telematics and rudimentary voice command, hard drive but no Bluetooth, just SIM card phone.
RT6 Telematics, bluetooth and audio streaming and later versions reverse camera compatibility, high res display
NG4 (Navidrive 3D) Hard Drive based premium system, DVD, Bluetooth telephone, internal telephone (with services module) enhanced voice commands Hi res display, 3D buildings and landmarks in major cities etc.

So RNEG to RD4 is a massive downgrade and loss of functionality.

You will find that ALL the telematics units will suffer with problems at some point - you can't avoid it.

The RT6 suffers from overheating and failed flash memory (too little air flow around the unit and too much crammed in a single DIN unit)
Same for the RNEG MyWay.
NG4 is a double DIN and suffers less than any of the RT6 and MyWay units in my experience - it has more space for ventilation internally. It can also have the Hard drive replaced with a CF card to preserve original hard drive or if the hard drive fails, given that these will not last forever.

As for Android units - these are of course options, but need a lot of work to integrate them into the vehicle. Each is different - some you can get that will install like a single DIN and screen that can replace the existing large multifunction display; others that you have to 'stick' on the dash that look like aftermarket units.

But don't think that these will not go wrong either - your support options are going to be very limited from these companies....

for the De Witson - here's the only 2 reviews on Trustpilot and both 1 star.... so make you mind up on that one.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.witson.com

Joying also have their share of issues:
Joying A.PNG

Like anything you take a chance, but remember you already have the JBL amplifier option fitted, so you will need to consider compatibility.

Marc
lsky

Post by lsky »

Marc, thanks for your thorough explanation.
So basically from what i gather if my RNEG goes wrong, there is really not much i can do but to suffer the consequences, and any possible switch to more stable headunit would cost me at least 500 eur?

Personally i don't need nav, and i'm not sure i even need the telematics much. Right now im driving '08 407 sw with RD4 no problem. I just want system that works.

Also, speaking of RNEG restarting, am i correct in saying that even when not using nav there is a chance of unit just restarting randomly on me while just listening to radio? Which means that i also loose control of climate control and anything else associated with the headunit?

Its just that i really like the car and i would seriously consider buying it if it wasnt for that stupid (or overly clever) system...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

1) If your MyWay fails - depending on the problem - you can send it for repair, or get a second hand one on the internet and then get it VIN coded along with the correct parameters for the factory-fitted equipment on your car using Diagbox.

2) Telematics includes things like Audion capability Navigation and phone integration as a minimum.

3) All Telematics units including your MyWay (RNEG) will restart under certain conditions. If the unit becomes too hot, they system will reduce the volume output to decrease heat and may switch off the display and other functions until the temperature reduces. Other issues may cause the system to restart - this can be because of a failing storage / flash card. The Myway and RT6 for example don't have hard disks, so although that can reduce some of the heat generated in a small single DIN footprint, it means that they will suffer problems associated with flash memory devices - specifically the Nand memory cells that hold the data. Reading is not such a problem, but writing data can have issues over time.

With more and more digital integration on the latest PSA Connect Nav units, they will no doubt bring their own problems - but on a bigger scale as more vehicle systems are integrated into the vehicle.

Marc