Haynes Manuals

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Haynes Manuals

Post by doctle »

So...I'm interested in how the Haynes manuals are written. I recently bought a Focus 1.6 diesel as they can be useful and it was cheap. I needed top change the fuel filter and the new one looked different from the old one. The manual shows a different type of filter from mine and doesn't mention that you have to swap over the fuel heater to the new filter. The focus is an pig to get bled btw. .

A lot of the stuff seems to be copy and paste from Peugeot or Citroen manual so how do they actually make the manual? Is a car loaned from the manufacturer for dismantling or do they buy one? Where do they get the technical data like torque settings etc? Just curious.

I had a Haynes manual for a Hillman Avenger years ago and whilst it was a much simpler car than a focus the manual, from memory, seemed more thorough.
Oh buggle
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Haynes Manuals

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They probably buy them second hand, that's why you have to wait a few years for them as it takes them a while to dismantle and document. They certainly won't be given a car as the manufacturer want's you to service it at the dealer. As for the technical data, they would have to purchase that info like anyone else and we know they cut corners as half the stuff is missing or they only provide a few diagrams and miss a lot of the electrical stuff out as there are just too many variations.

As for the copy and pasting - well don't forget that a lot of the engines are jointly developed and so you will find a lot the DV6 range of engines in Fords and Volvos as well as PSA vehicles. Same for the commercial range, like the Dispatch that are Fiat Ducatos and the Nemo that are Fiat Fiorinos etc.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Re: Haynes Manuals

Post by doctle »

Thanks Marc, buying second hand does make sense. I think they are useful for people like me that just do basic repairs and servicing. I usually double check by searching this site and the internet. No better Peugeot site than this one tho!
Oh buggle