UNCLAIMED VEHICLES

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

UNCLAIMED VEHICLES

Post by ACTIVE8 »

If you are like me, and wondered what happened to the vehicles that a council, takes to their car pound for whatever reason, and the owner does not collect/claim their vehicle well here's the answer.
This is what the City Of Westminster is doing with this unclaimed Rover.

They are selling it on ebay. [:0]
Here's the link:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 69793&rd=1
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Really glad to see that they are not just crushing them, my local breaker had a ZX diesel last year from the council and there was apparently a ruling that it could not go on the road again, waste, mind you I suppose you would feel a bit uncomfortable if you put it on the road and someone popped up and said oi thats my car!
Stewart
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

The limescale damage will probably have been caused by rainwater leaking through joints in the concrete roof of the garage. Good job there were no pigeons in residence. :-)
Buyer better take some saddle soap with them, those seats will probably be as dry as parchment...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Have you seen how much lead it took to balance the wheel in the picture.
That is one ropey tyre.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

One lady owner for the last 43 years, prior to the City Of Westminster taking over ownership, that's a long time, she probably didn't use it for most of the time, what a shame to let a classic car sit around, and go to waste. It also appears that since the council have had it, that it has sat around unwanted again. [:(!]
As the council have arranged this auction on ebay, you would have thought that they would have managed to use an employee, who can spell as the description of the reverse gear makes me laugh, as in the listing we have some ebayese. [:)] [:D]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> The engine runs fine but having been dormant for some years, a new battery will be required - though it runs nicely when jump-started. The reverse gear is currently not fuctional. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

That's a strange homemade framework that they have got the car on it's the sort of thing you would move a car around a garage/workshop or off, and on a Brimec bodied (tilt, and slide body) reovery truck. It could be that the car is difficult to move about having sat around for so long, a few things could have seized through lack of use.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

They seem to have sold a Range Rover before looking at their feedback, so I wonder if there will be any interesting cars coming up in the future ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4534240277
Oilyspanner, I am also very pleased to see that they are not crushing them, because otherwise a good or classic car would be wasted, and damaged.
I wonder if other councils will follow their lead, or are they already doing the same thing ?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The council officer behind the scheme was on BBC London radio this morning, and he said that any unclaimed vehicle, classic or not,that they deem to be easily made roadworthy will go through ebay.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

It also seems they are organising viewings at a car park. [:0] This is on Park Lane near Mayfair, this is probably where the owners incurred a problem in the first place, due to very expensive parking charges.
A winning bidder would have to be careful when they leave the car park not to incurr a congestion charge, but as technically it would still be on the V5 be owned by the council. So he/she could tell them where to stick it, and tell them to charge themselves. [:D]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Many years ago I tried to get info on buying from local gov, the police, and vehicles abandoned at major airports etc, I found out that most (?) of them went to 'private' auctions? you had to be on a list of some sort to get invited to attend them??
I was never able to find out how to get on this 'approved' list of erm 'bidders' or find out what really went on, but I think money changed hands so that the vehicles went to certain dealers at very very low prices... [:(!]
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

But at least they are not squashed. I cannot stand the waste that occurs with cars being squashed. Personally, I think it's because new cars are too cheap. If cars cost twice what they do at the moment, you would see a huge reduction in the number of cars wasted, as it would become much more financially viable to maintain them. Plus I think you'd see a lot more people taking much more care in the way they drive, not wanting to damage something that is so valuable.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

It turns out that the council officer behind the scheme is Alastair Gilchrist, and he appeared on BBC London news on their T.V. report at lunch time, so for those of you in the London area, who can get home in time for their 18.30 evening news, you might be able to see it. [:)]
Or, if you are not in the London area, but have a broadband internet connection then you can view it on their website. It's eight minutes, and twenty three seconds into the report.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/
They would appear to have a BMW that will be up for sale next week. So, I wonder if they will have a Citroen at some point in the future. [:D]
James.UK I am pleased that ebay is being used as a more fair means, to sell these vehicles than a "private auction," and that everyone has an opportunity to bid on these vehicles instead of a selected few "approved bidders" giving backhanders to their contacts, to gain unfair access to certain cars.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

fastandfurryous I also cannot stand crushing when it wastes what is a perfectly good car. Well yes, if cars were more expensive, then maybe people would value what they are driving more, and maybe be more careful with it, sadly the driving standards currently are also a problem, and would also need attending to, then maybe it would be safer on the roads, and less cars would be crushed.
It's better to save something that's worth saving, rather than going round crushing everything in sight, so it's good that they looked into, and implemented this idea.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

The only trouble is: imo of course: a Rover P5 was dreadfully slow, gobbled fuel, was undriveable in snow due to weight distribution (v heavy engine) and rusted badly. (I had a series of very second hand Rovers as a student - 75,90,110, 16).
Classic? No thanks...
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

But someone somewhere will be wanting it, will pay good money for it, and will love it.
Personally, I can't understand why anyone would want a classic ford. I hate them. But then I woudn't expect a ford enthusiast to understand why I personally hanker after a CX DTR Turbo 2. (another of which has just sold on ebay!)