Help me find my new car!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Help me find my new car!

Post by Paul-R »

When the Smiths first came onto the airwaves and TV I tried very, very hard to listen to their music. But failed. There's really only reason to listen to them and that's Johnny Marr with his guitar playing.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Here's an oriental workhorse Steve which looks similar to a C5 and will go on forever judging by the mileages on most that are for sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Honda-A ... Swk-Ne7EOB
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I did mean to look at Accords. I had one prior to my C5, bought in a rush when my Xantia was totalled. One of the best cars I have had, only needed the usual service items, a radiator and two back boxes, - and a headlight bulb :)All reasonably priced and easy to fit - ten~fifteen minutes for the boxes, half an hour for the radiator (I never hurry things) and a couple of minutes for the bulb.
Sadly that got totalled too :(

That one is a bit distant too. Max forty miles. There are stacks of cars within twenty miles, the problem is lethargy.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

myglaren wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 21:40 There are stacks of cars within twenty miles, the problem is lethargy.
......... Your 'get up and go', has got up and gone :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It was never there to start with.

The main reason for not wanting to travel any distance is that if there is a serious fault it is a pain to return it for repair then have to collect it again without a car. Buses and trains are unusable for me..

I usually buy from private sellers but I don't trust eBay sellers, don't use any social media that have car sales and wouldn't trust anyone on there either. Last C5 was bought through the FCF. Accord and Xantia were word of mouth, friends of friends. As were most previous ones. If they break it is just tough luck but they are cheaper.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

myglaren wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 21:58 It was never there to start with.

The main reason for not wanting to travel any distance is that if there is a serious fault it is a pain to return it for repair then have to collect it again without a car. Buses and trains are unusable for me..

I usually buy from private sellers but I don't trust eBay sellers, don't use any social media that have car sales and wouldn't trust anyone on there either. Last C5 was bought through the FCF. Accord and Xantia were word of mouth, friends of friends. As were most previous ones. If they break it is just tough luck but they are cheaper.
Valid reason for wanting something close Steve, however not trusting ebay sellers is a bit questionable. I totally accept that there are some right sharks on there but there are also decent normal people like us selling cars. You just have to use the tools available to you to sort the wheat from the chaff. I have bought at least 15 cars from ebay sellers after inspecting them before bidding and I have not had a single issue. I don't use any social media at all, I don't consider the FCF in that category, so I cannot comment on those but you have to look on ebay as a comprehensive collection of ads that you might find in the local paper or the newsagents window and take precautions as you would with any dealings with strangers. During my years as a car buying agent for high end customers I came across a few iffy looking deals and just walked away. Admittedly though you do need to put in the effort which seems to be another problem you'll have to solve yourself :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You are probably aware that I am also on autoshite - appropriate for my C5. While I would buy from someone on here, and have, or someone on there, the reports of complete idiocy, scams and wastes of time that are related there have spoiled eBay for large purchases for me. I do use eBay a lot and with great success, only had one bad experience years ago and a slightly iffy one last year that was resolved satisfactorily. All low value items though.

I'm having enough trepidation with the Mazda from eight miles away to last me the rest of the decade.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

How about this from Grand Theft Autos in Billingham? - ad on ebay but a dealer up the road!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-P ... Swe0BeMdfR
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sorry Mick, No VW for me. A Skoda and Seat have been considered but not pursued.
There is a very elegant Passat up the street but I wouldn't trust a VW.
I readily admit bias. Still wouldn't have one.

A Tatra just for the sheer lunacy but unlikely.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I think you should consider my selection from Mathewsons then : :-D
viewtopic.php?p=650899#p650899
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

mickthemaverick wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 23:30 How about a Volvo in Gateshead?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-Volvo-S ... SwIf9e4F1W
Have considered that - note the Mazda 6 behind it :)
I actually spotted it as I was leaving, it looks exceptionally good.

It is tempting but is diesel and I don't want another diesel (after over thirty years of nothing else).

You are putting more effort into this search than I am. Pretty much resigned to the Mazda but may wait until the end of the month for the tax nonsense.

On the other hand there is a nice SAAB in there too.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

bobins wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 16:22 A completely hypothetical one this - as I'm not actually after another car, but I have often wondered what I would get after the C5, and not really come to any conclusions. On my shopping list is a car that can take 4 adults in comfort over many miles - as in a European road trip. I have to be able to fettle it myself. I'm not interested if it'll do under 400 miles to a tank, and I'd prefer it if it could get nearer 700 miles to a tank. It wouldn't be used that often, but when it it used, it'll do long miles in one go - I prefer to drive about 250 miles without a break and have always driven that way. I hardly ever do any 'town driving' - I either walk to the shops or get things mail order. Not fussed as to whether it's an estate or saloon, but it'd have to have a reasonable sized boot/luggage area. I'd much prefer to have something reliable and boring (and comfortable), than troublesome and fast. Budget up to £12k for a 2-3 year old car that's done under 50k. Ideally under £250/year road tax.

Shouldn't be too difficult to come up with at least a dozen possibilities.... and I don't mean one car with a choice of twelve different paint colours :lol:
For my purposes there is no better car than a C5. I haven't driven or ridden in another modern car with as good a ride. Its also been very reliable apart from a few electrical glitches, the 2.0. Hdi engine is bombproof and gives amazing economy, and the estates which we have will move furniture, kitchen appliances etc with ease, or/and a dog.

I was fortunate in finding one with with all the bells and whistles but manual and steel springs, everything I wanted.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Agreed that the C5 is very comfortable, relaxing to drive, airy (not the X7 though) I love the steering, gearchange and brakes, mostly the way it can fly round bends and roundabouts the leave Audis way behind (just done that :twisted: ) but the accumulation of problems is worrying and anything the same age would be subject to the same, before too long.

Anyway, I went to see the mechanic who was going to estimate the cost of shoving it through the MOT and I seem to have bought a Honda Civic :shock:

I don't like the look of them, too blingy but it is with someone I can trust and is right on my doorstep. Low mileage, not that that has ever been a criterion.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm not into flying round corners - that's why I like the C5.

Peter