Citroen Relay won't start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pierrehavelaar
My Cars: Citroen Relay XLWB 2008
Ford Focus estate 2010

Citroen Relay won't start

Post by pierrehavelaar »

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have a Citroen Relay 2008 2.2HDi 120 hp. It is having problems with loss of power, but was still drivable until this week. It had been used for a drive to the shops without problem. Next thing at home it just won't start anymore. I have been working on it for some time to try and fix the initial problem of power loss. So far I have replaced fuel filter, air filter, oil + filter, cleaned MAF sensor, check EGR valve and the injectors have been remanifactured. I'm using Diagbox and have reprogrammed and relearned the injectors. After all that it was still running the same, usable but loss of power under load, running fine on light load. Running Diagbox fault diagnosis, I didn't find any faults that weren't there already when it was running. One of the faults was to do with the immobiliser, but that seems to have cleared up with a new key fob battery. There is three faults left: P0480, P0481, P0683 - Pre/Post heating relay control. Like I said these faults have been there when it was still running. The first two are to do with the fan's, the last the glow plugs.
Unfortunately I'm at a loss now what could be the problem, so I hope there is someone out here who can help.

Much appreciated,
Pierre
Last edited by pierrehavelaar on 08 Jul 2020, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen Relay won't start

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the Forum.

If you post the vehicle VIN up here (on this thread; it will, for security reasons, be obscured so only Forum staff can read it) those with the right access may be able to find out a lot more about your specific vehicle. As the PSA group have started charging for certain things you may be asked to pay a fee, but this will cover you for two years of search questions.

The HDi engines are very easy to start, and do not (except in times of extreme cold and sometimes for regenerative cycles) use the glow plugs.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I assume the engine is turning over ? With diagbox on live data are you getting cam & crank syncronisation? What fuel pressure are you getting on cranking?
Have you tried a sniff of easy start up the air intake to see if it kicks?
pierrehavelaar
Ford Focus estate 2010

Post by pierrehavelaar »

VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
pierrehavelaar
Ford Focus estate 2010

Post by pierrehavelaar »

Sorry I hadn't seen your post yet, because I didn't get an email notification. Thank you both for replying.
I'm happy to report that the engine is now starting again. One of the injector clamps had broken in half... so two of the injectors were loose. I ordered new clamps and bolts, reseated the injectors and it runs fine now. The low/high fan faults are due to the fuses which is now fixed for one (waiting on the fuse for the other).
The only fault left is about the glow plugs. Good to hear that they aren't crucial (which I expected) but I would still like to fix it at some point.
I didn't take it for a test run, but I assume the holding back issue is still there.
While running idle I saw fuel pressures of around 220bar does that look normal?
I would like to know what nominal values of air flow, fuel and turbo pressure I should expect under load so I can take it for a test run and see what is not working as expected.
Is it possible to log a trip while driving with Diagbox so I can examine it after the trip?
pierrehavelaar
Ford Focus estate 2010

Post by pierrehavelaar »

@Hell Razor5543

You mentioned a regenerative cycle, does that mean my engine has a particulate filter? I haven't seen anything about that in Diagbox.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

pierrehavelaar wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 21:34 @Hell Razor5543

You mentioned a regenerative cycle, does that mean my engine has a particulate filter? I haven't seen anything about that in Diagbox.
I cannot answer that because I don't know if your vehicle has a DPF (I don't have access to the PSA database). However, some of the HDi engines do have a DPF system, and can use the glow plug system to help a regenerative cycle (according to what I have read on this Forum).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
pierrehavelaar
Ford Focus estate 2010

Post by pierrehavelaar »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 21:44
pierrehavelaar wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 21:34 @Hell Razor5543

I cannot answer that because I don't know if your vehicle has a DPF (I don't have access to the PSA database). However, some of the HDi engines do have a DPF system, and can use the glow plug system to help a regenerative cycle (according to what I have read on this Forum).
I'm pretty sure I have the P22DTE 4HU engine (or Transit MK7) 120hp
I've updated my original post, because I mistakenly wrote 130hp initially.