Global Window Reset- C5 Exclusive Auto 2Ltr 6/2008

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeeBee
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: C5 (X7) Exclusive Auto 2ltr Petrol 6/2008 : Vin- VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Ford Mondeo Titanium Auto Diesel 5/2013

Global Window Reset- C5 Exclusive Auto 2Ltr 6/2008

Post by PeeBee »

Hello, this is my first posting here, hope I have complied with posting rules.

I would be grateful if someone could advise me re the global window opening and closing on my C5. A few days ago when we were enjoying some hot weather I had all the vehicle windows open. On securing the vehicle all the windows closed. As of today I find that the windows will no longer close on securing the vehicle, I have to physically close each one. I suspect its something I have done to alter this but I dont know what and cant find any reference to re setting the global in the vehicle handbook. I have tried variations of using the fob to open and shut the windows ( no response), dropping each window down and then up while still holding the up switch for 10 seconds so I am temporarily at a loss. I have not disconnected the battery recently which might have accounted for it.

Thanks for any advice.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Global Window Reset- C5 Exclusive Auto 2Ltr 6/2008

Post by Paul-R »

Just to confirm that your car is a Mk 3 (X7) and not a Mk 2 (facelift).

I think it is an X7 but unfortunately can't think of why it's happened. The only suggestion I can offer is to do a BSI reset viewtopic.php?t=61997
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Can you also confirm that when you exit the car and all the doors are shut, that you are holding the lock button down for a few seconds to enable the window closing?

If so and this has stopped working it will possibly be that the battery is in a weakened condition so has stopped power-consuming functions when the engine is not running.

How old is the car battery?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
PeeBee
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: C5 (X7) Exclusive Auto 2ltr Petrol 6/2008 : Vin- VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by PeeBee »

Hi Marc & Paul, thanks for the reply. I can confirm its a Mk3 x7. I believe the battery was replaced 18 months ago and I havent experienced any problems with starting etc since I purchased the vehicle from a relative a week ago.
I suspect that I have unknowingly altered something as the car being new (to me) I am trying this and trying that. However, it isnt something that prevents me using the vehicle, its more so a curiosity as to why the global has stopped. I am toying with getting a Lexia 3 so perhaps that will sort it out !.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Are you managing to lock the car with the fob ok? I would of suggested the fob battery may need replacing if you were having issues with the fob range for example. There's nothing you could of done to disable the function as it's a standard feature of the locking button on the fob, that if pressed and held for a few seconds it will raise the windows normally.

A short press on the lock button of the fob will lock the car.
A long press will lock the car and close the windows and sunroof.
2 successive presses on the lock button will deadlock the vehicle (if you have the deadlocking fitted).

If this is not working and the battery in the fob is good, then reinitialise the fob:

Get into the car, close the doors
insert key one into ignition, turn ignition on and within 10 seconds press the lock button on the fob for a few seconds. Repeat with the second fob.

Get out of the car and then lock and unlock the car. Then you can try and put one of the windows down and try and raise it with the fob.

If none of this works, as Paul mentioned, try the BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure.

Marc
PeeBee
(Donor 2021)

Post by PeeBee »

Thanks for the reply Marc. Both fobs lock and unlock the vehicle OK and I have tried locking the vehicle and then pressing the lock button a second time and holding it for 5 sec or so but it doesnt close the windows. This was working a couple of days ago using exactly that procedure so its strange that its suddenly ceased. I havent replaced the batteries in the fobs but both seem to be working OK.
I will try your suggestions tomorrow in the daylight and come back to you with a result.
PeeBee
(Donor 2021)

Post by PeeBee »

OK, might have something here. After prowling through the forum I see that a number of other owners complain about their car being in economy mode as soon as they start up their vehicle. The general consensus was that the battery wasnt giving its best and was causing this economy mode 'problem'. Now on checking I see my C5 is showing economy mode and apparently has been so for many months according to the previous owner. I thought it was an option you could select. Is it possible, as Marc intimated, that my current global window problem is in fact due to an ailing battery ?. Particularly as the day the global was working it had just been driven 50 + miles and so the battery would have been in a better condition. Since then I have been playing with altering seats, trying the radio, testing headlights etc as you do!.
So I am thinking a new battery is in the offing. Any suggestions please for a replacement ?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Try giving it a 48 hour trickle charge to be sure it is at maximum capacity and see how it goes for a week. Cheaper than a new battery.
PeeBee
(Donor 2021)

Post by PeeBee »

Yes, your probably right Steve. I have just purchased a new Ctek Smart battery charger so I think I will try that particularly as the Bosch battery is around 2 years old.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes definitely do this. Make sure you follow BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure for the battery when charging it.

A poor battery is often the cause of electrical problems. You will also have a Battery Charge Status Unit fitted to your C5 that handles the supplies management. These can be quite vigorous in cutting off power for equipment to ensure you can start the car. Early C5s and other older PSA models used the BSI to manage the Economy Mode. This often gave better performance.

I have documented a solution to switch the management of the energy saving protocol back to the BSI - mainly for those with Tourer versions with the electrically opening and closing tailgates that were not able to use this function because of the same problem - which is pretty daft considering. That should give you the 30 minutes of power back after the engine is switched off - BUT comes with the caveat that you take responsibility if your car battery fails to start the car! Most people are sensible anyway and don't unnecessarily run the equipment without the engine running fort any length of time. You will need a Lexia kit to do this though.

But as Steve says a good trickle charge is your best bet - but follow the guide and don't ignore seemingly trivial parts like the timing and not opening the doors.....

Marc
PeeBee
(Donor 2021)

Post by PeeBee »

Hello Marc,
Thanks for the advice, I am about to PM you re a Lexia and I have also decided to replace the battery anyway. Although the current battery is about 2 years old the previous owner (my daughter) tells me the vehicle has suffered a flat battery 3 times in the last 12 months despite it being used daily to commute to work. The vehicle was checked for a 'drain' by a Citroen mechanic and nothing found. Accordingly I have decided to replace the battery with a recommended Enduroline Car Battery 62Ah. I will let you know the result when the replacement battery is fitted using your guide.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem. I have sorted that out for you this evening. :wink:

Marc
PeeBee
(Donor 2021)

Post by PeeBee »

Thanks Marc.
PeeBee
(Donor 2021)

Post by PeeBee »

Well I replaced the battery and it seems to have 'cured' the economy mode problem but I still cant get the global window closing to operate properly. I have ordered a Lexia 3 so when I receive that I will see if it can advise me as to a potential problem. But thanks everyone for the appreciated advice.
PeeBee
(Donor 2021)

Post by PeeBee »

Connected Lexia to the vehicle and just cleared a number of faults but I didnt see anything obvious that may have indicated the window global problem. Thats not to say there wasnt a fault there, I dont know what to look for or probably more precisely, where to look on Lexia for the global window setting . Strangely, afterwards made a number of attempts to close the windows globally without any success and then suddenly, it worked closing all the windows as it should on locking the vehicle. But I only managed to get it to close that once out of about 7 or 8 attempts. I have had that single success on previous occasions and been unable to achieve it again. So heaven knows what this could be, I am considering changing the battery in the fob in case its that but otherwise I have no idea.