The Chain...make the next link

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: The Chain...make the next link

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Ah Mick its simply the name Trinity. Hillary parked her car in "Trinity" Lane in the Champions Episode, and the Get Carter Car Park is "Trinity" Square. With "Trinity" providing the link

This is a gem too....

Gateshead Council sold off the remains as "commemorative pieces of concrete in specially decorated tins" for £5 each.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Well the positive I have from that is I learnt a lot about Roy Brown, Hilary Tindall and Trinity College while chasing rainbows! :-D
I saw that gem about Gateshead Council and it did bring a smile to my face!! I will probably go to bed dreaming of Cliff Brumby and Joe Kinnear now!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I thought you had found another link!! I have had an entertaining evening trying to establish one and I learnt a lot, including Gateshead flogging off their demolition spoils!! Had I not known better I would have thought they were in Yorkshire!! :-D Interesting history toTrinity College back to Henry VIII as well and Roy Brown who designed the MK1 Cortina was also responsible for the dreaded Edsel!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

£5 for a nice little tin with a lump of concrete in it....lovely gift!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Try this not sure if the adverts were aired down South lovely stuff though and a link with the Trinity Square Get Carter Car park. The tower block known at the Dunston Rocket in the first clip was done by the same Architect firm Owen Luder.

Looking back.....both were interesting but much maligned buildings, and both have now been demolished.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I certainly have never seen those ads or heard of Tudor crisps so I suspect they were a Tyne Tees special. However I couldn't help thinking that they should have got Rodney Bewes to play the shopkeeper and James Bolam as Terry!! Would have added a better nostalgia to it for me!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 10:10 I certainly have never seen those ads or heard of Tudor crisps so I suspect they were a Tyne Tees special. However I couldn't help thinking that they should have got Rodney Bewes to play the shopkeeper and James Bolam as Terry!! Would have added a better nostalgia to it for me!! :-D

Well it is James Bolam doing the voice over at the end. :-D See the white "snowy" on the Dunston Rocket Shot!
snowy at Dunston Rocket
snowy at Dunston Rocket

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

We had Tudor crisps in Whitby in the sixties.
NewcastleFalcon

I hadnt realised Ove Arup had got so much work in the North East. So a short link down to Durham for a little more brutalism, and not the beauty of the casle and Cathedral and The Viaduct from Wharton Park above the Station, but Dunelm House the Durham University Students Union. Never liked it, and such an odd-ball for where it is.
Ove Arup 1965 Dunelm House Durham University Students Union
http://brutalism.online/brutalist-build ... nts-union#
REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 02 Jul 2020, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Was it on the FCF that I was reading about the millenium bridge cockup? The one in London, not Newcastle, that Ove Arup had build?

They generally have a decent reputation and I was surprised they had fallen for the designer & architects demands and neglected proper engineering principles.

I did have some contact with them and thought it must have been in Sweden, due to the name, but see he was a Geordie so it must have been through the advertising company I worked for.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 23:44 They generally have a decent reputation and I was surprised they had fallen for the designer & architects demands and neglected proper engineering principles.
Just had a look at the Arup Group's portfolio of work. It is absolutley astounding. Involved in design or construction of iconic structures all over the world from the Syndney Opera House to Coventry Cathedral, Iconic Sports statdia and Preston Bus Station, and the Angel of the North. I noted that he must have had a great deal of affection for his Kingsgate Bridge in Durham which compared to his other creations is a very simple maybe even minamalist design. I will look at that bridge in a different light now. Of course his conctete bunker of Dunelm house is part of that scene, maybe I'll revisit that too :-D

Arup Group Projects-wiki

Dunelm-view
Tim Packer. / TSP / CC BY-SA (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 07:52

I will look at that bridge in a different light now. Of course his conctete bunker of Dunelm house is part of that scene, maybe I'll revisit that too :-D

Regards Neil

The old Regional Seat of Government in Cambridge is an example of a bunker where the architects made a teeny effort to put some architectural flourishes on the outside to make it look a very tiny little bit more appealing. It is still a big concrete brutalist box that doesn't blend with anything :rofl2: Didn't stop it getting Listed status though :)

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/ ... ry/1390525
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

..and the link is back in Cambridge after a brief but essential trip to the North-East.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

....and tell me - who could fail to admire those fine architectural touches ? :rofl2:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Well I'm going to take us from Cambridge with that surprising brutalist gem, to brutalism's finest hour. So fine and well known and iconic, that many people may not realise its a triumph of brutalist concrete.

A Jørn Utzon design, but major involvement of the Ove Arup's Group as structural engineers to turn the drawings into reality...and in an amazing coincidence guess who was wandering about amongst the construction site in 1967.....today's youtube flavour of the day...The Seekers in their prime....

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey