Pickled Egg Quiz

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Pickled Egg Quiz

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Theres only one word for it "Wow" where did all that come from Mick. :?: When you have got number 2 which I dont know where it is of course, I think you should unspoilerise it with the original picture which comes from Vauxpedia
temp5.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 19:57
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 18:22 Well I hope you have been to these two as well. I know where No1 is but no idea where number 2 is other than I suspect it will be down South, and maybe in what seems to be the favourite stomping ground for the official Cresta publicity shots Kent. Someone may recognise it straight away but its so far eluding my searches.

Regards Neil
I have indeed been to
Spoiler: show
Inverness Castle
although that didn't help me locate picture number 1! :-D

....... I'm off to look at picture 2
Do you need any help Mick or anyone else :?: ....The Falcon has located the prey :!: :-D

I'll give you one hint it is down South but definitely not Kent, but not knowing its precise geography just yet having just found it I can reasonably safely say its "North of Watford" although that is a generic North and as yet I will not give the exact bearing.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have failed miserably at discovering where picture 2 was taken. I have come across a couple of facts which don't help. I have found the photograph on a website: here In the write up there it suggests that whitewall tyres were not an option in the UK but the car has a UK reg 176 FNM? It goes on to say that the whitewall tyres were an option on the Cresta in Canada but our picture is labelled as a Velox so there are anomalies!! As the Vauxpedia site presumably doesn't identify the origin I think we may be on a needle in a haystack job here. I cannot read the writing/sign above the car roof or on the roadsign so no clues there. I think I may have a Doom Bar and wait for inspiration! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 20:58 I have failed miserably at discovering where picture 2 was taken. I have come across a couple of facts which don't help. I have found the photograph on a website: here In the write up there it suggests that whitewall tyres were not an option in the UK but the car has a UK reg 176 FNM? It goes on to say that the whitewall tyres were an option on the Cresta in Canada but our picture is labelled as a Velox so there are anomalies!! As the Vauxpedia site presumably doesn't identify the origin I think we may be on a needle in a haystack job here. I cannot read the writing/sign above the car roof or on the roadsign so no clues there. I think I may have a Doom Bar and wait for inspiration! :-D
Well all that is music to my ears! The reg is significant Mick and Oldclassiccar has a page on such things.
https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registr ... etters.htm
You will find an unsurprising location for first registration area but by a stroke of luck it is a help. Maybe the journalists may have taken the cars into deepest Kent for a test drive, but for a publicity shoot they maybe didnt stray too far from the factory just find somewhere reasonably scenic.

The other key which helped me find it was the most striking bit of the scenery. I didnt know the thing that is next to it or part of it, but that would have got it straight away. This next clue is no help but according to wiki someone with a third name of Duru lives there now, he won a gold medal at the world athletics championships at which Bob Beamons long jump record was broken.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 29 Jun 2020, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Wipe the smile off your face Neil, :-D I had already looked up NM for the area as it seemed familiar. This did not involve athletics, merely a search for village clocks on Geograph!!: DoomBar gave me back some waining enthusiasm and the idea!! :-D Eureka!!

Seriously a good pair there Neil, do you honestly think I should remove the spoilers from earlier?
BFTW
BFTW
1873 Pump House and Clock Tower
The unusual building is located on Heath Green in Heath and Reach. 1873. It is a grade 2 listed structure listed as: One storey brick shed with gable end, the sides with cambered headed archways filled by iron railings. Gable ends. Tile roof. One gable end has plain door with cambered arch. Rising above the roof at the opposite end is a 2 stage square brick turrett with clock dial surmounted by louvred belfry. Pyramid roof and vane with cardinal points. Iron pumping machinery inside. A prominent feature of the village green.
NewcastleFalcon

Yes good old geograph came up trumps for me too. Of course the resident of Heath and Reach is Kezie Uchechukwu Duru Akabusi who won a world championship gold medal in the 4x400 relay at the 1991 World Athletics Championships in Tokyo.

There is another but I'll give it a rest for now! Have you ever been to Heath and Reach?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 21:58

Seriously a good pair there Neil, do you honestly think I should remove the spoilers from earlier?
AS you know I am fascinated with that sort of stuff, If others want to look it up the spoiler is easily opened, but I for one appreciate the additional research which adds interest to a simple treasure hunt.

If you havent seen it I've moved the Chain thread onto Cambridge and Hillary Tindall stepping into A White Cortina Mk1. A decent reward for your efforts!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 29 Jun 2020, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Indeed I have been to Heath and Reach, I used to work with a trader who lived there and I must have driven past that clock many, many times but I lost touch with it when he died in 2003 so it was a while ago!! I think I may have realised it earlier had I not been hunting all over the web for the car!! :)

As for the spoiler I used it more to condense the post than to keep it guarded. Once I posted it I realised it overfilled the screen so I thought it easier on others not to have to scroll through a lot of stuff they weren't interested in!! :) I'll go and have a look at the chain now! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Now there have been a couple of tricky searches recently so for this pickled egg quiz let me take you to simply enjoy the picture of a "modern" urban 1960's environment in the background, and the easy question....

What is the car :?:
whatsthisthen?
whatsthisthen?
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Looks like a Vauxhall Cresta to me. Could be a Viscount though.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I'll go for a Cresta de Luxe ? :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Well done James/Mick

Its an FC98000 Cresta de Luxe!

Here's another picture of it, as ever with things Vauxhall Vauxpedia is a fantastic site
http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/ ... a-viscount
temp2.png
After reading plenty of the info and watching a few videos on Vauxpedia, I reckon I would have been tempted with those late 50's early 60's Vauxhalls had I not been in short pants at the time!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This is the viscount

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Right folks this is rock hard, and I don't know the answer, and yes I have tried one or two searches without success. Surely there are loads of clues. I dont recognise it. There is a water feature...but what do you call that in a search its not a lake, its hardly a water garden, its not as fancy as an ornamental lake, its just one of those patches of water amongst the urban landscape. There is a tower block, with a join-ey on bit up to the 5th floor. There is what looks like an unfinished circular car park-ey thing which spirals upwards, and then there is the upside down cone with a gold ball on the pointy end. Plenty to go on. Its also 1960's the publicity shot for the Cresta de-luxe says Not to be published before October 18th 1965....so that tower block was up before that date.

Dont even know if its this country, but has to be surely, and would Vauxhall stray far for their pubilcity shots...its not their best ever, but for the time the tower block may just have looked more modern than an Olde England Half Timbered Cottage. So is it within 30 miles of Luton, one of the New towns? No success as yet.

I'm offering the full 100 points, and no holds barred.

so after all that Wheresthisthen?
wheresthisthen?  the difficult one
wheresthisthen? the difficult one
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 18:34 Right folks this is rock hard, and I don't know the answer, No success as yet.

I'm offering the full 100 points, and no holds barred.

so after all that Wheresthisthen?

Regards Neil
Update....I have stumbled across it. I now know where it is so if anyone needs a clue quite happy to give them out!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey