Sphere Check & Suspension Questions 1999 Xantia Break 2.0i 16V

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

larsy93
My Cars: Xantia Break 2.0i 16v 1999

Re: Sphere Check & Suspension Questions 1999 Xantia Break 2.0i 16V

Post by larsy93 »

Front spheres replaced, acumulator sphere replaced, they came of quite easily all from above, no need to go under car using the chain clamp. Drives like a dream now, real flying carpet action and the clicking has almost completely stopped, it clicks maybe once every 3-5 minutes or so. Still got the new rear spheres sitting in the backseat will tackle them when I go out to the cabin, there I have a setup that allows me to easily work from under the car, this is lovely 10/10 finally I get to experience what driving a Citroën is all about.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Result! That's great news, and good to rediscover the proper Citroen ride.
Well done for seeing it all through. \:D/
Chris
Armidillo
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 605 V6 SII
406 D9 SV
Xantia SX wagon SII
Xantia Activa TCT (unregistered)

Post by Armidillo »

larsy93 wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 19:32 Front spheres replaced, acumulator sphere replaced, they came of quite easily all from above, no need to go under car using the chain clamp. Drives like a dream now, real flying carpet action and the clicking has almost completely stopped, it clicks maybe once every 3-5 minutes or so. Still got the new rear spheres sitting in the backseat will tackle them when I go out to the cabin, there I have a setup that allows me to easily work from under the car, this is lovely 10/10 finally I get to experience what driving a Citroën is all about.
No doubt you've read up on this - but for the sake of others reading this thread I'll state the bleeding obvious...

When doing the rears you will of course start by setting the suspension to it's lowest setting, then leaving the engine running for a couple of minutes until it has completely settled onto the bump stops. This obviously ensures that it cannot collapse on you. :shock: So you need some way of being able to get under the car when at it's lowest - a hoist, ramps or a pit.

Then undo the special pressure release bolt on the regulator about 1/4 turn, or until you hear the whoosh of the pressure escaping & fluid returning to the reservoir (but no more than one full turn, or you risk the spring and ball bearing escaping :-D ). When pressure is fully released the rear wheel cylinders (which the rear spheres are screwed into) will actually be a little bit loose.

I also have a Series II wagon or break - it doesn't look as nice as yours, but it is a great reliable workhorse. I gave it a new set of spheres last year, and it now rides very well.

Cheers

Alec
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

On a Xantia (or BX or XM) you MUST initially loosen the rear spheres with the suspension set to the highest setting, to lock the cylinder against the frame. Otherwise there is a good chance that the cylinder will twist and damage the metal pipe. Once the sphere is undone 1/8 th turn, then select the lowest setting with the engine idling for at least a minute to release the pressure before (optionally) releasing the screw on the regulator.