Pickled Egg Quiz

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Pickled Egg Quiz

Post by mickthemaverick »

Well this is another of those creepy moments that keep happening. I was convinced that Redding was the name of a company that made tail lifts for vans as I am sure I have seen it on some of the hire van tail lift controls that I've used. However I cannot find any mention of it after a quick search and I can't be bothered to do a longer job. I did find https://www.pointstire.com/redding/Lifting which may or may not be connected but that is where I believed the two lifts to come from. :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Lovely place for a drive out on a beautiful day like today, A red C5 in front of those gates, or surveying the beautiful viewpoint....and only four miles from Watford :-D

Regards Neil
Well I went for my drive today and as a result I have to say the plot thickens:

Firstly there are two sets of gates at The Grims Dyke, but neither have pillars matching those in The Champions scene:
Own work
Own work

And
Own work
Own work
Whereas those at Greyleigh have the same characteristics:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Hmmmmm!!

Meanwhile the Harrow View car park is closed :
Own work
Own work
But I managed a picture outside the gates:
Own work
Own work
I also came across two more cars of interest which I will post on more appropriate threads :-D
Last edited by myglaren on 25 Jun 2020, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote tags
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 16:24 Well I went for my drive today and as a result I have to say the plot thickens:
Firstly there are two sets of gates at The Grims Dyke, but neither have pillars matching those in The Champions scene:
Excellent pictures Mick. :-D This is the money shot! Have a look at the Champions' Body Snatchers episode Screen shots and see what you think.
The Champions' gates dont have stone balls on the top.

Champions Screen shots
Screenshots Grim's Dyke Gates and Lodge
Screenshots Grim's Dyke Gates and Lodge
Streetview
streetview screenshot
streetview screenshot
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The Merc leaving does look like the gates but I can only assume they have demolished the lodge cos it just ain't there!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 18:29 The Merc leaving does look like the gates but I can only assume they have demolished the lodge cos it just ain't there!! :-D
Mick the South Lodge is grade II Listed and will not Have been Demolished.....I am sure its behind that fence haveing renovations done. The google street image is pretty recent too, If you focus on the detail of the gates there is no doubt...the wrought iron circles still match perfectly!

Page 16 of this link gives some detail about that lodge, also Norman Shaw designed

https://www2.harrow.gov.uk/documents/s1 ... Brookshill

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Oh I agree its the right place alright, just amazed at the difference between what I saw and what I expected to see from my, clearly flawed, interpretatiom of the original screenshot. Also spooky how similar the brickwork in the pillars is to Greyleigh.
However another couple of shots to go on the C5 thread after the footy I expect! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Having had a trip to Cornwall on "The Chain-Make the next link" thread, one of Cornwall's claims to fame is that it is has one of only 2 Roads Signs in the Country to use the word "Impracticable" as part of the sign.

Part 1.....Bring back an image of the Cornwall signpost which uses the word impracticable.
Part 2......Bring back an image of the other location sign which uses the word impracticable.

Use whatever search methods you desire, but as far as wealth of knowledge on such matters goes...you should know where to look :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Here is my offering:
Spoiler: show
Firstly near St Winnow in Cornwall
BFTW
BFTW
And then near Nash in East Wales
BFTW
BFTW
NewcastleFalcon

Well done Mick. Don't know if your source was one of the 11,000, but there is an original photo from yours truly taken a couple of years ago of the second one and it isn't yellow any more!

On the Cornish one....the streetview image is from about 10 years ago and its rusty as can be, but more recent shots like the one you pulled out show it as being a bit better preserved now :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Where's this then?
Something Somewhere in the Summertime
Something Somewhere in the Summertime
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

How does
Chilham in Kent
sound? :)
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 17:17 How does
Chilham in Kent
Sounds in decent harmony. Well done Mick. ddg "black and white houses with vauxhall cresta parked outside"? or did the modern pic give too much away?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 17:55
mickthemaverick wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 17:17 How does
Chilham in Kent
Sounds in decent harmony. Well done Mick. ddg "black and white houses with vauxhall cresta parked outside"? or did the modern pic give too much away?

Regards Neil
This is the oldest method of all.....................been there, done that, got the teeshirt :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Well I hope you have been to these two as well. I know where No1 is but no idea where number 2 is other than I suspect it will be down South, and maybe in what seems to be the favourite stomping ground for the official Cresta publicity shots Kent. Someone may recognise it straight away but its so far eluding my searches.
where is 1 and where is 2?
where is 1 and where is 2?
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 18:22 Well I hope you have been to these two as well. I know where No1 is but no idea where number 2 is other than I suspect it will be down South, and maybe in what seems to be the favourite stomping ground for the official Cresta publicity shots Kent. Someone may recognise it straight away but its so far eluding my searches.

Regards Neil
I have indeed been to
Inverness Castle
although that didn't help me locate picture number 1! :-D

Valuable information about the cars pictured in 1 below, I'm off to look at picture 2
Inverness-shire Constabulary patrol cars 1957
During 1957 the Inverness-shire Constabulary took delivery of these three brand-new Vauxhall motor cars. The two on the left, both Vauxhall Velox models LST923 and LST 879, were Traffic patrol cars and the Vauxhall Victor on the right LST961 was for "General Purpose" patrol work.
Quick policing geography (and history) lesson - the North West Highlands is virtually an island, split from the rest of Scotland by the geological fault which is the Great Glen (Gaelic: An Gleann Mor) a.k.a. Glen Albyn (Gleann Albainn - meaning the "Glen of Scotland"), which lies entirely within the former County of Inverness-shire. The Glen is filled by 4 lochs, Linnhe (sea-loch), Lochy, Oich and Ness, and at its north end the Beauly Firth arm of the North Sea. These lochs are chain-joined to each other and to the sea at either end by the Caledonian Canal. Effectively there are only 3 points of crossing from the NW Highlands to the rest of Scotland, namely Fort William, Inverness and Fort Augustus. Hence the reason that, in the aftermath of the Jacobite Rebellions, Marshall Wade built three forts:

 Fort George, on the sea near Inverness

 Fort Augustus, and

 Fort William

- to cover the Great glen, and linked them with military roads over which to move large numbers of soldiers at speed to address any potential unrest/uprising. He also built another fort at Ruthven (near today's A9) to cover the road from Inverness to Perth, and its offshoot down the Spey Valley. Thus Inverness-shire Constabulary paid particular attention to the Inverness, Fort Augustus and Fort William potential crossing points. Inverness Burgh Police covered Inverness itself, but Carr Bridge (20 miles south) was a strategic location to cover the A9 road south of Inverness, in case any criminal heading south evaded the Burgh force.

(End of lesson!!)

Velox LST923 would be deployed on the A9 (Inverness-Perth) road and be based at Carr Bridge, where Constable Hugh MacLennan was stationed. The A9 was literally at the bottom of his garden, as Carr Bridge Police Station (and house) was right along the side of the A9 which in those days went right through his village, and every other village between Inverness and Perth. PC MacLennan, who joined the Inverness-shire force on 23/11/1935, moved to Carr Bridge in 1952 and remained there for the rest of his service, retiring on pension in 1965. He passed away in 1974.

Velox LST879 would be based at Fort William, the biggest town in Inverness-shire (the Burgh of Inverness was outwith the county, in that it was a separate entity and had its own Police force until 1968). The A82 passed right through the centre of Fort William, and Lochaber Division covered that part from Invergarry (south of Fort Augustus) in the north to the County boundaries with Argyllshire along the shores of Loch Leven.

PC Alexander "Sandy" Ross had joined the force in June 1955 and would move from Fort William to Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye during 1957, before returning to Inverness Traffic in 1961. He later served at Kingussie in both uniform and CID ,retiring in 1985 in the rank of Sergeant.

Victor LST961 was in the care of PC Malcolm "Calum" MacKinnon, then stationed at Fort Augustus. Although “the wee Fort” was only a Section Station, it covered the A82 which passed through its village as well as junctions to Skye and Wester Ross through the Cluanie (Glenshiel) mountain pass to Kintail which was reached via Glen Garry (Invergarry) (south of Fort Augustus) and Glen Moriston (Invermoriston)(north). It also covered the east side of Loch Ness, the area around (and above) Foyers - the huge plateau what I call "the Roof of Scotland). So that pivotal station also needed an effective patrol vehicle.

"Calum", a native of the Isle of Harris, had joined the County Police in 1954 and after some 18 months in Traffic at Fort William, moved to Fort Augustus. He would later serve at Glenelg, Aviemore and Carr Bridge before being promoted to Sergeant at Broadford on the Isle of Skye. Calum was a really good skipper, and very patient with me! Sadly he passed away aged only 47 in 1976 while still at Broadford. - a great loss, as he was a truly nice bloke as well as a very good copper.

Although I have managed to establish from retired officers who the officers are in the photograph, nobody can recall the significance of the photograph. I wondered if it was to commemorate a particularly commendable capture, or alternatively, the Annual Inspection by HM Inspector of Constabulary. It appears NOT to have been either of these, but possibly simply an opportunity for the supplying Vauxhall garage to obtain some publicity material. Certainly Vauxhall Motors has a copy of this photograph in their archives.

What better place for such a publicity photograph than the front lawn of that most photogenic of buildings, Inverness Castle, which of course just happened to house the Headquarters of Inverness-shire Constabulary!

NOTE: There do not appear to be ANY identification insignia or signs to show that they are police cars. They are most definitely what we would nowadays term MARKED in that they are NO WAY "STEALTH" or "COVERT". Back in those halcyon days, big black car = cop car!

ALSO, I am intrigued why the officers have been made to stand on the "wrong" side of their cars - surely it would have made more sense to have them at the DRIVER'S side? Makes you wonder whether the photo was to be used on the other side of the Pond?