Considering importing a Xantia from Europe, anything to look out for?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OlemTheGolem
My Cars: 95 Citroën Xantia 2.0i - going away
06 Citroën C5 1.6 HDI

Considering importing a Xantia from Europe, anything to look out for?

Post by OlemTheGolem »

Hi! As some of you already know I reside in Norway, and I currently love my Xantia. However during fixing it up for this year's state approval a bunch of rust has come forth. Therefore I will likely let the girl go in two years when the approval ends. I am therefore considering importing a estate version from a less salty and wintery country when the time comes.
The government has made it free to import cars over 20yrs of age and locally the selection is poor. (I have the only 94 Xantia on the road in my area of 400k people)

Is there anything to look out for on “foreign” models? Will the alternator have lower amps for example? I have had this problem with a Ford Focus imported from Spain.

Help would be greatly appreciated for this possible future collection capers😀
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Considering importing a Xantia from Europe, anything to look out for?

Post by xantia_v6 »

You don't say which engine type or specification level you prefer, but I don't think you will have too many problems, other than finding a car in the good condition that you obviously desire. They have become quite rare in the past few years, even in France.

Cars from southern Europe will not be fitted with the "winter pack" which generally included heated rear view mirrors, heated screen-wash nozzles and sometimes a larger alternator and smaller engine cooling fans. Heated seats were a separate option.

I would not worry too much about the alternator, as a car with A/C will also have the larger alternator fitted.
OlemTheGolem
06 Citroën C5 1.6 HDI

Post by OlemTheGolem »

Thank you for the reply.
I'll most likely look for a late model HDI, Depending on where I live and work at the time. As of right now I have a 70 mile daily commute, which is a bit costly with the petrol models.

If I live close to work as I do plan on in a few years I might end up with a XM V6 for trips only. I have previously mainly driven Audi A8's and merc Sclass due to only driving 100 miles a month so engine size and economy really does not matter at that point.
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

I can understand why you are sold on the Xantia and this must be the place to find out about the production variations.

However as an owner of the same Estate for more than 12 years (90BHP Hdi) I think you should be aware of the possible issue with rust caused by water getting past the rear wheel arches and into the box section and sills in front of the rear wheels.. It is well covered on this forum.

The outer edge of the wheel arch is only a press fit inside the car's bodywork and only sealed with rubber about the same diameter as the inside tube in a ball point pen. In wet conditions the wheels are throwing water directly against this joint which clearly is not watertight and allows water through with little chance of drying or escaping from inside the box section and sill.

The rust can be seen when the rear doors are opened but will also weaken the outer rear seat belt anchoring point. When you can see the rust it is probably too late.

As it wears the suspension pump insists on introducing air into the brake, steering and suspension hydraulics – not good and covered on the forum.

Good Luck.
Andy.
If it can happen it will.
OlemTheGolem
06 Citroën C5 1.6 HDI

Post by OlemTheGolem »

Estately wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 17:02 I can understand why you are sold on the Xantia and this must be the place to find out about the production variations.

However as an owner of the same Estate for more than 12 years (90BHP Hdi) I think you should be aware of the possible issue with rust caused by water getting past the rear wheel arches and into the box section and sills in front of the rear wheels.. It is well covered on this forum.

The outer edge of the wheel arch is only a press fit inside the car's bodywork and only sealed with rubber about the same diameter as the inside tube in a ball point pen. In wet conditions the wheels are throwing water directly against this joint which clearly is not watertight and allows water through with little chance of drying or escaping from inside the box section and sill.

The rust can be seen when the rear doors are opened but will also weaken the outer rear seat belt anchoring point. When you can see the rust it is probably too late.

As it wears the suspension pump insists on introducing air into the brake, steering and suspension hydraulics – not good and covered on the forum.

Good Luck.
Andy.
Yes I'm sadly well aware of the typical rust issues that typically killed these off especially where I live. With prolific salt use by the government rust is almost inevitable :roll:
Luckily mine has been treated with Mercasol every third year up until 2012, whatever panel i pull off or whatever I have needed to change on the car has been covered in the stuff. Had the rear door trim of the other day and it's at least 3-4 mm of the stuff in the doors!

However the typicall places in the rear and front sill are starting to show which is why I started thinking ahead.

Thanks for the answer! This forum is my go to for anything on my car, nobody cares for the xantia in my country. Only XM and 2cv seems to have any following at all :(