Nice places to stop off at.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Nice places to stop off at.....

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

If you like a delve into a quirky little bookshop, this is a gem, another one of Berwick Upon Tweed's assets. Inside there is a superb dome painted 360 degree style with the Berwick riverside scene....as shown halfway down this article in the Telegraph entitled "Why do so few people visit Berwick-Upon-Tweed?". Well we have a couple of times in a matter of days, and Countryfile's Anita Rani, was filming there this very day.
"Slightly Foxed" Bridge Street Berwick Upon Tweed NF own work
"Slightly Foxed" Bridge Street Berwick Upon Tweed NF own work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Nice places to stop off at.....

I have come across Kit Lacey and his edubservices from near Knaresborough in North Yorkshire. Doing interesting stuff in converting Type 2 Campers to EV's, but also between March and October hires out their electric camper "Indie" for touring the Yorkshire Dales staying at approved camp sites with charging facilities.

I'm sure like myself from time to time, a camper appeals, but to be honest actually buying and owning one is a very expensive way of "enjoying the experience", and many campers/motorhomes just sit around doing nothing for most of the time.

A little potter about the Yorkshire Dales for a weekend could well satisfy the camper van urge, all the better for not leaving a trail of evil-smelling diesel or petrol exhaust fumes in your wake :-D
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 17:50 I'm sure like myself from time to time, a camper appeals, but to be honest actually buying and owning one is a very expensive way of "enjoying the experience", and many campers/motorhomes just sit around doing nothing for most of the time
True, and also for caravans. A friend acquired a decent car for towing from her parents because they spent £15,000 on a caravan, then felt they needed to spend £15,000 on a newer car to go with it.

I said how long would it take to spend £20,000 at 4 star hotel rates, and would the car and caravan depreciate more than that much in the same time.

Recently I went in the other direction and caused some advance amusement for a two week trip to Scotland by saying I was going to experiment with a tent.
NewcastleFalcon

Well not really a "nice" place as portrayed more gritty and hard, but interesting, maybe more so for us locals who know the places.

Still if you are a film fan, this is a decent tour around the locations used in the film and how they have changed, or not as the case may be.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Due to a total kitchen breakdown at our hotel this morning we were forced to go into Exeter to find some breakfast - and we found breakfast paradise!! Just across the road from Exeter Central station you will find Brody's Breakfast Grill. As you will see in the pics you pay £7.95 for all the food you can eat, £2.95 for all the drinks you want or £9.95 for both food and drink. You then work your way round the industrially furnished racks to select whatever you want from cereal to full english buffet or waffles and ice cream, great choice of coffees, teas and fruit juices as well as all the sauces and spreads you could desire. With your own toaster on every table toast whatever bread you fancy!! Study the pics and then go and meet Tom and have one helluva brekkie!!!! :-D :-D :-D
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

mickthemaverick wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 22:35 Due to a total kitchen breakdown at our hotel this morning we were forced to go into Exeter to find some breakfast - and we found breakfast paradise!! Just across the road from Exeter Central station you will find Brody's Breakfast Grill. As you will see in the pics you pay £7.95 for all the food you can eat, £2.95 for all the drinks you want or £9.95 for both food and drink. You then work your way round the industrially furnished racks to select whatever you want from cereal to full english buffet or waffles and ice cream, great choice of coffees, teas and fruit juices as well as all the sauces and spreads you could desire. With your own toaster on every table toast whatever bread you fancy!! Study the pics and then go and meet Tom and have one helluva brekkie!!!! :-D :-D :-D
Monty Python Live 02-07-14 13 04 42 (14598710791)
Eduardo Unda-Sanzana from Antofagasta, Chile [CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)]
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
winchman
My Cars: Citroen Sara Picasso

Post by winchman »

This website has quite a few good routes showing how to get to places but showing the good stuff often free on the way.
Look at the Routes drop down
http://www.donthibernate.co.uk
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Here's one for those feeling adventurious try the cafe at the bottom of Berridale braes, A9 about 10 miles north of Helmsdale.
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
NewcastleFalcon

KennyW wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 22:32 Here's one for those feeling adventurious try the cafe at the bottom of Berridale braes, A9 about 10 miles north of Helmsdale.
That will be the River Bothy then Kenny I presume
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Northumberland Tourist Board again,

Craster, maybe particularly at this time of year when its not so busy, is a gem. As is this Cafe which we sampled for the first time today. The StableYard, Craster Tower....just out of Craster on the Alnwick Road through this arch.
nf own work
nf own work
Nf Own Work
Nf Own Work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

There is nothing better than a first hand recommendation, and the likes of Trip Advisor and others thrive on such things being made public.

Now we had an excellent coffee and cake stop at the Stable Yard at Craster Tower today. Young lady, being doing it since 2017, and excellent fare all round. So I would anticipate others on Trip Advisor to reflect our experience and yes they do.......90 Excellent, 11 Very Good...

...but no matter how good the reviews are, in dealing with the general public there is usually one or two which will come up with a "terrible" 1 star review. I did like how Kate at the Stable Yard dealt with her 1 negative review. :-D
abs49643 Reviewed 16 July 2018
Stale cakes
Nice and pretty place but the cakes we got served were stale, real shame as we came here after reading the good reviews.
Date of visit: July 2018
and Kate's Reply
Kate S, Owner at The Stable Yard, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Thank you for your review, I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience at The Stable Yard, however, I do try to bake my cakes fresh every day on site. I’ve seen that you’ve also reviewed 23 other places along the Northumbrian coast on the same day also giving them 1 star reviews. I do hope if you return to the North East we can all do better.
Nice one Kate!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

24 stale cakes a day. What a weird diet that would be.
NewcastleFalcon

The DRift Cafe at Cresswell is expanding. Just open for takeaways at the moment, but expanding its outdoor seating facilities /wood fired Pizza, and plans in hand for B&B and self catering accomodation as well as a new restaurant.

The thing that caught my eye was the acquisition of this bus, very nicely painted.
Drift Cafe new outdoor bit
Drift Cafe new outdoor bit
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I think its a Guy Arab IV/Metro-Cammell 3102 Registration MOF 102 previously owned by Birmingham City Transport :) :)

as pictured here

More info on the 1954 bus sale here:
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Bowlees Visitor Centre nice place for coffee and cake
You can even plug your car in for free!<br />(if you are in the right club!)
You can even plug your car in for free!
(if you are in the right club!)
and Low Force just across the road
Low Force on the Tees
Low Force on the Tees
and for DMC members...
a little red postbox on a white wall
a little red postbox on a white wall
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey