Help for a newbie please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smurfitt
My Cars: Citroen Berlingo 750 HDi

Help for a newbie please

Post by smurfitt »

Bayerry wasnt holding charger in my 2011 berlingo van B9. Took it to local fitter and the fitter disconnected the old one from terminals but didnt seem sure about how to get it out. His mate told helped hom remove the casing and bracket. He then went to get a new battery and fitted it. Heres where the problems start. Turned the ignition all instruments lights on dash and electrics all working but van doesnt turn over; not even a click. They loccked an unlocked central locking but still nothing. They checked battery was fitted correctly and all fuses were ok. Basically left me with a van that wont turn over and said they thinks the immobiliser is stopping it from starting. Electrician friend said it would stil turn over if that was the case but just wouldnt start. Eventuall got it recovered and towed to a local garage. They did a diagnostic check and said a list of faults are showing yet before I took it for a battery change there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. I dont want a garage to rip.me off by saying this that and the other is wrong when its obviously something to do with the battery being disconnected for a while. Any advice would be much appreciated.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Help for a newbie please

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi. Technically, your best bet would be to take it back. They may have upset something whilst removing / fitting the battery. Obviously the car was working when you drove it in there - so whatever has happened has happened on their watch. They should have insurance to cover this sort of thing.

If you take it away and go elsewhere they can now feign ignorance.

The info you received is correct concerning the immobiliser though - the starter will turn but the engine ECU will not authorise the engine to start until it has handshaked with the BSI and the transponder.

Try the points in here to disconnect the battery following the guidance carefully. It also contains the relevant part to resynchronise the fobs after a battery disconnect:

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
smurfitt

Post by smurfitt »

Thanks Mark but they were just a tyre and battery fitters. They pushed my van out to lock up for the night so I had no choice but to get it recovered to a garage as I was stranded.
smurfitt

Post by smurfitt »

Thanks Mark. They were tyre and battery fitters not mechanics. They pushed the van outof the workshop to lock up for the night so I had no choice but to get it recovered.
The procedure you mention is onlynuseful.for restring the bsi when the car is running. Hence why it says switch ignition off.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

smurfitt wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 21:37 The procedure you mention is onlynuseful.for restring the bsi when the car is running. Hence why it says switch ignition off.
That is not correct. The BSI reset procedure should be followed every time the battery is disconnected. If (as you imply) the old battery was disconnected without allowing the computers to shut down correctly, then there is a good chance that you need to go through the whole cycle again to reset everything.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Absolutely. It costs nothing to try this except some time.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

I have recently helped out a friend who had the same happen to him, but with a Peugeot 307, or maybe 308...

Anyway, he had tried to change the battery without allowing the computers to shut down properly and the symptoms were the same as yours. I showed him the BSI procedure as stated and all was well. It is important to follow it to the letter ie dont wake up the the BSI at the wrong time by opening a door or anything. I always wait a little a longer than suggested to allow the computers to do their thing
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 Estate
2001 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 LX
1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 90
1983 T25 VW camper
1994 Mini 1275 35th Anniversary Edition - sold
2007 C8 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive - sold
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
p1cass0p0w3r
My Cars: 2.0l hdi xsara Picasso 2003 diesel

Post by p1cass0p0w3r »

these guys know what there on about.... dont dismiss any suggestions from them..... even if you think its not correct
because their suggestions are based on there experience so "try before you sigh." lol
hopefully your next post says all sorted