Problems with the hydraulic Citroen C5 R

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cit-rotti
Donor 2024
My Cars: C5R; C5X7; C6; SM

Problems with the hydraulic Citroen C5 R

Post by cit-rotti »

Hello,
I cannot solve the following problem and ask for help.
Vehicle: VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] - Orga 10724
Motor: DW10 BTETD4 FAP with gearbox: AM6B
The vehicle was bought used and actually springs well.
Only the pump of the hydraulic unit (BHI) starts with the engine or ignition running without interruption. That will surely not go well for long.
Without ignition, the pump runs - with the door open - for a very long 1-2 minutes.
The power consumption is about 33A - that's fine.
The pump looks almost new - it was probably replaced - possibly the entire hydraulic unit.
If only the pump is repaired / overhauled or exchanged for another, there are never any problems.
Perhaps the anomalies come from replacing the entire unit.
Question 1: What could be the fault if the pump is always running? There is no fault in the control unit.
Question 2: In the past, the BHI could be bought coded with the VIN - now only uncoded - is it necessary to code the VIN? Can this be done with the LEXIA?
Question 3: What other activities are required with the diagnostic device when replacing the BHI?
Please describe the route of the LEXIA.
Greetings Wolfgang
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Problems with the hydraulic Citroen C5 R

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Wolfgang
Question 1: Possibly a height corrector issue - it may not think the correct height is being reached, so is constantly operating. Try raising and lowering the vehicle with engine running several times to get the height correctors working. These can both wear out and also suffer from corrosion.

Question 2: It's not the VIN that is coded to the BHI. The ECU contained in the BHI has to be programmed for the specific engine type and body type.

Question 3: There shouldn't be anything else you need to do with the BHI. But the system will need bleeding if replacing the BHI as you will have allowed air into it.
  • Just put the car on level ground, release the cap from the LDS tank
  • Raise the suspension to the highest setting
  • Then set to the lowest setting
  • With engine running, SLOWLY turn the steering wheel lock to lock 10 times - SLOWLY!
  • Never hold the steering wheel at each lock position - when you reach the maximum lock, start turning in the opposite direction again.
  • Return to centre, switch engine off
  • Check LDS level is between A and B marks (with suspension still on lowest setting)
  • Leave for 3 minutes at least to allow any air bubbles to rise.
LDD MK III.PNG
Check there is no 'fizz' or bubbles. If there is, the repeat the above but turn the steering wheel 5 times.

A poor or weak battery can also affect operation - make sure that is in good condition.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
cit-rotti
Donor 2024
My Cars: C5R; C5X7; C6; SM

Re: Problems with the hydraulic Citroen C5 R

Post by cit-rotti »

Hello, and thanks for the detailed answer.
I am a little unsure and ask for more information.
Normally, the DW10 BTE ... motors with manual gearbox only have the H3 suspension (without sport button / stiffness regulator). The suspension has H3 + only with automatic transmission. Therefore the DW 12 ... must be selected as the motor type.
Is that correct?
Diagnostic problem:
The vehicle rises and falls when the switch is pressed.
If you drive off in the highest position, it will correctly lower to the next level at more than 10 km / h and to the normal level from 40 km / h.
However, only values for "front" can be entered - communication with the "rear" values is terminated. If the rear encoder could be defective, the suspension works in emergency mode or the setting is only outside of programming.
Greetings Wolfgang