Power Drain on C3

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ukphiltr7
My Cars: 1994 (04) Citroen C3

Power Drain on C3

Post by ukphiltr7 »

I have an 04 Citroen C3 which recently has had the common central locking issue, which I hope to resolve by changing the relay on the bsi board with this one https://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity/ ... p/1024021#

However, more recently she has also seemed to develop a power drain. I have had 2 new batteries now and if I leaver her a few days, it is drained and she cannot start. I think it may be to do with the central locking relay needing to be switched on the bsi, but until I get it changed, I cannot confirm.

I have noticed that she had a 0.22 Amp drain when I tried to lock the doors and now when not locking there is a 0.13 - 12 Amp drain.

Does anyone know what the normal Amp drain figure should be for the C3 when she is doing nothing and locked? If i get the relay changed and then I have a normal 0.13/12 Amp drain will that be what I should be expecting or have I still got a bit of a drain?
Last edited by ukphiltr7 on 09 Jul 2020, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Power Drain on C3

Post by wheeler »

When the BSI is fully shut down (which takes around 3 minutes after locking i would expect to see a max drain of 0.04 amps or 0.06 amps if it has the factory fitted alarm system.
ukphiltr7

Post by ukphiltr7 »

Thanks for the reply wheeler. I have not got a factory alarm fitted so a current drain of 0.12 is quite high.

Do you know of any of the main areas that I can check to try and locate the drain?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Does it have any aftermarket accessories fitted e.g. CD Player, Bluetooth kit , towbar electrics? These are normally the first suspects if fitted.
Failing that you will need to start pulling fuses one by one to narrow the drain down.
ukphiltr7

Post by ukphiltr7 »

There is no bluetooth or much aftermarket fitted. However, recently I have installed a usb charger connected to the power supply socket by the gear stick. I have unplugged this though and does not have any effect on the drain. I think it is like you say unplug fuses and see where that leads me.
ukphiltr7

Post by ukphiltr7 »

Today I reconnected my bsi unit after having the central locking relay replaced. Not the good news is that i have central locking that now works on my 04 Citroen C3 Mk 1. I have connected the battery and will see if this resolved the power drain issue or not. If not I can live with it until I get it sorted as now I can lock the car and disconnect the battery if needed :-)
ukphiltr7

Post by ukphiltr7 »

It looks like the power drain may have gone. Still early days but so far the signs are looking good. Each time I have been to the C3 the battery has been all OK.
ukphiltr7

Post by ukphiltr7 »

I think I may have spoken too soon about the power drain, it looks like it is still there. Yesterday, the power had gone and she would not turn over. I double locked the doors after fixing my central locking and using her ever other day seemed to keep the battery high enough to start the engine.

However, the other night I only single locked the car and the next day the battery was dead.

When I say double lock and single I mean single click the lock button on the key fob and double click it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Your are referring to 'Deadlocking' For vehicles fitted with deadlocking, the first press of the fob locks all the doors and the second press deadlocks the doors, so that they cannot be opened from the inside.

Looks like you are going to have to do some step by step troubleshooting. Don't overlook the alternator or the condition of the battery terminal connectors / wiring.

Until you are pin a position to fault find, you could try placing the SHUNT fuse into park mode from customer mode, designed to switch off most of the power consuming equipment (designed to ensure the car will starts after a long period of inactivity). The door and tailgate locks should continue to operate.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ukphiltr7

Post by ukphiltr7 »

Thanks for the reply GiveMeABreak, not too sure what you mean by 'placing the SHUNT fuse into park mode from customer mode'. If it helps I will try anything as currently I am having to disconnect the battery now.

How or what would I do to 'placing the SHUNT fuse into park mode from customer mode'?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

In one of the fuse boxes (normally one in the cabin) there is a SHUNT 'fuse' that is used to change the electronic 'state' of the car. If the car is in the showroom for a while this SHUNT is put into the PARK position so that there is less equipment draining the battery (as this equipment is not needed). However, before the customer collects the vehicle, as part of the pre-delivery procedure, this SHUNT is moved into the CUSTOMER position to allow all equipment fitted to be available (and, therefore, receiving power).

What I think Marc is suggesting is to try and narrow down the possibilities of what is causing the drain by utilising the PARK/CUSTOMER SHUNT setting. If the drain remains regardless of where the SHUNT is, it would indicated that the fault lies with a 'permanently available' piece of equipment. Conversely, if the drain stops with the SHUNT in the PARK position the fault must then lie with an 'optionally available' item (trying to come up with a meaningful phrase is tricky!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

ukphiltr7 wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 21:02 Thanks for the reply GiveMeABreak, not too sure what you mean by 'placing the SHUNT fuse into park mode from customer mode'. If it helps I will try anything as currently I am having to disconnect the battery now.

How or what would I do to 'placing the SHUNT fuse into park mode from customer mode'?
Do you have your owner's handbook? Check out the fuses section, and on the diagram you should see a 'Shunt' fuse. on a MK II C3 it was Fuse 18. The fuse should be in the Glovebox. It can be in one of 2 positions and if you have a torch should show the position. Moving it into Park position will disconnect the positive battery supply to consumer equipment and accessories to prevent the battery from discharging if being left for a long time. In this mode the door locks and tailgate should remain operational.

This may prevent the battery discharging - but it all depends on where the drain is occurring - it may be from a source before it gets to the BSI.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ukphiltr7

Post by ukphiltr7 »

I have not had chance to move the 'Shunt' fuse over yet as I have started to disconnect the battery in these times of not using her much. However, I have brought a diagnostic tool to see if I can pinpoint the drain.
ukphiltr7

Post by ukphiltr7 »

I have recently been having more issues with my little C3.

The battery has not been lasting long at all, I do not think the cold weather has been helping much though. I have not checked the battery but I am sure that it is OK as it is new and the second one at that. I brought a new battery as I was having battery de-charge issues. I had the same issues so I took the battery back and got another of. Guess what, the same issue.

Recently with the cold she has been having issues starting and on the checker it says that there is a glow plug issue. I have taken her in and waiting to see if the glow plugs need changing.

With the battery I do have to crank her if she has been standing overnight. When you crank her you can hear the battery power going down. When she starts you can stop her and then she will start again straight away. I have to take her out for a drive on the evening, a nice long drive to charge her up to ensure that she will start the next morning. If I do not go for an evening drive and leaver her overnight from 4pm, she will have great issues and probable not start in the morning.

I am waiting to see what the garage come back with and hopefully resolving the issue, but I am not holding my breath.